Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

V6 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question V6 Problems

Okay, I bought an ’89 Extra-Cab V6 with a few miles on it. There are a few things wrong and I was hoping that I could find some help here. Thanks in advance for any replies/suggestions offered.

First off, my motor mounts are shot. Anyone know of some good replacements? I’d prefer urethane if possible, but I’m finding that no one seems to make them.

The dote I bought it from left me two presents - #1. Cross-threaded the oil pan plug. It leaks and makes a mess; any suggestions on how to fix it? #2. He also cross-threaded one of the spark plugs. Again, what is the preferred method on fixing this?

The power steering makes noise when cold, and is hard to turn. Even when warm it won’t turn when you turn the wheel quickly, like it’s not working properly, because I can feel resistance and it moans and groans. I replaced the belt and the fluid level is okay. I’m thinking the fluid needs flushed, any how-tos on this?

Where do you get spark plug wires for these things?

When its cold, before the motor is up to operating temp, it bogs when you give it more than ¼ or 1/3 throttle. I’m not sure what this would indicate. It lacks power compared to my friends 93 (with 230k miles), so I’m wondering if its something internal, or if it’s the engine management. I did just replace the TPS, so I don’t think its that.

Sorry for giving it to you all at once. If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 04-10-2003, 02:10 PM
TOR

v6 issues

Your steering problems could be a number of things. The cold start issues sounds to me like a cold start injector. Depending on what tools you have you may or may not have to take the head off to get to the stripped plug. This would entail removing the head, spark plug tube and then removing and retapping. I can get you the motor mounts, wires, spark plugs, oil pan, gasket, and plug for a good price. Just shoot me an email it is listed on my profile.

Todd
Old 04-10-2003, 02:22 PM

Re: V6 Problems

Originally posted by Faded

The dote I bought it from left me two presents - #1. Cross-threaded the oil pan plug. It leaks and makes a mess; any suggestions on how to fix it? #2. He also cross-threaded one of the spark plugs. Again, what is the preferred method on fixing this?

Well I hate seeing posts with no replies, so I will try to field this one. My guess would be 1) get holes tapped, 2) get holes rethreaded. If you know what I'm talking about then you can probably do it yourself, if not it sounds like a machine shop job, I believe?
Old 04-10-2003, 02:32 PM

Re: v6 issues

Originally posted by TOR
Depending on what tools you have you may or may not have to take the head off to get to the stripped plug.
Todd
What tools are required in order to keep the head on? This thing is my daily driver! I can pull it down for a day or two over the weekend, but it usually takes me twice as long as the average guy to get something done.

Last edited by Faded; 04-10-2003 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:32 AM

Anyone have any other thoughts?
Old 04-11-2003, 08:47 AM

I have an oil pan for you, I'll let it go for dirt cheap (shipping). I don't know if you have the clearance to drop the oil pan though. I have a new V-6 in my truck, and it too boggs down right after I start it up. It's just what they do. I'm not sure about your spark plug, but it sounds like you just need to get the hole tapped, the rethreaded.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:10 AM
Contributing Member

Ok... first lets start with the spark plug.. You have to get it out.. Use PB Blaster and soak around the plug over night.. ANow work it in and out and pray it comes out.. If it does, you may be able to run a thread chaser into it (just grease it to try to collect any shavings.. start it and pull it back out to be cleaned.. repeat.. If that does not work, you are looking at putting a Heli-coil in it (do a web search to see what a Heli-coil is)

For the oil pan, much the same thing.. and if that does not work you can always go the Jiffy-Lube route and put a rubber expansion plug in it.. (or replace the pan)

The motor mounts, Just get new Toyota ones (I may have a good set for cheap, I would have to look.. Let me know if you want them..

For the power steering flush, per Toyota FSM..

Remove fluid return hose from reservoir (the push fit on the 90 degree bend pipe)

with motor at idle, trun wheel from lock to lock while drainging fulid (PS, run that hose into a cup & hold it under th fitting it came off to frain the fluid into said cup)

Stop motor

Fill reservoir & cap off pipe on reservoir, and repeat 5 or six times while draing fluid into cup (keeping reservior capped)

Re-connect hose to reservior and bleed power steering)

DAMN... I just read that if you have anti-lock brakes in the rear, you need to use a ABS Special Service Tool while bleeding the power steering pump.. I dunno if you can do this at hime or if it a dealer thing I have never bleed mine before..

Anyway, as for plug wires?? Toyota all the way, about $50 and they come pre set with all new wire looms, numbered, and they are pre- assembled for each side of the motor..

As for the motor bog.. Do a tune up, with cap, plugs, wires, rotor, and fuel filter first and see what happens then...
Old 04-11-2003, 09:32 AM

Excuse my ingnorance, but how do you bleed the power steering?

No worries about the ABS, I don't have it.

Thank you for the help!
Old 04-11-2003, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

Another thing to check is your timing. Make sure that's set correctly. My 90 V6 spec is 10 degrees BTDC, should say on your hood what it should be.
Once you get it fully tuned should run pretty well. If not, it'll be easier to diagnose anyway.
Good luck, we've all "been there done that"
Old 04-16-2003, 12:22 PM

Just checking back w/you guys....

Oly884, any word on the oil pan? I'll get rid of it for you!

Firefyter-Emt, have you had a chance to look for those motor mounts?

Thanks again for your replies, I half-a** the power steering fluid flush and it's working a little better, but I think the pump is going.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:24 PM

Golden,

First I need to get a timing light, then I'll check it. Anyone have a recommendation on a timing light?
Old 04-16-2003, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

You didn't get my PM??? I know I sent one.. I am sorry but the block is bare.. I must of pulled them off.. (now that I think of it, they are on my 4Runner.. They had less mileage and I has sandblasted them when I did the motor.. But I don't have any from my 4Runner either, I must of tossed them...
Old 04-17-2003, 09:27 AM

No, never got your PM. Thanks for checking anyway, I appreciate it.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:31 AM

Sorry, I've been working a lot recently and I havn't been able to get a price on the oil pan. I'll send you an e-mail when I get that.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Faded
Golden,

First I need to get a timing light, then I'll check it. Anyone have a recommendation on a timing light?
I have one from Sears, cost me $27 or something. I've had it for 6 years, no problems, works like a charm.

Great tool to have around too
Old 04-17-2003, 11:28 AM

oly,

Thanks, I understand what it's like when you have to work a lot. I put in between 11-14hrs a day. Let me know at your convienence.

96 Runner, looks like I have to go to Sears.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:10 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Firefyter-Emt
For the power steering flush, per Toyota FSM..

Remove fluid return hose from reservoir (the push fit on the 90 degree bend pipe)

with motor at idle, trun wheel from lock to lock while drainging fulid (PS, run that hose into a cup & hold it under th fitting it came off to frain the fluid into said cup)

Stop motor

Fill reservoir & cap off pipe on reservoir, and repeat 5 or six times while draing fluid into cup (keeping reservior capped)

Re-connect hose to reservior and bleed power steering)
So can you please clarify something... You say "with motor at idle, trun wheel from lock to lock while drainging fulid " then you say "Stop motor" ... now my question is.. wouldn't the fluid level in the power steering pump empty out while you are doing this?

Here is my idea of how it should be done; correct me if I am wrong please (anyone)

1. Heat up PS fluid to operating temp
2. turn off engine
3. clean ps reservoir cap & surrounding areas
4. remove ps cap & siphon as much old fluid from the reservoir as you can.
5. raise front of truck on jack stands to avoid overworking the pump (not sure if this needs to be done...)
6. disconnect fluid return hose careful not to let any of the fluid spill... (good luck w/ that one
7. position the return hose into a large 2 gallon container.
8. get some more power steering hose, clamp it onto the return hose connection on the pump, and plug this hose with a screw so no fluid leaks out of the pump return connection.
9. since the cap is still off the reservoir, fill the reservoir to the top with power steering fluid.
10. leaving the cap OFF, have someone start the engine.
11. with say 2 gallons or so of fluid (not sure how much is needed really for a good flush) be prepared to have them in one container and pour this fluid in as the reservoir empties.
12. as you are doing this, tell your friend to slowly turn the steering wheel from steering stop to steering stop until you have used up most of the fluid or enough that you are satisfied.
13 turn off the engine
14 remove the screw from temporary return hose and let the fluid drain out into a container
15 reconnect the original return hose to the pump (consider replacing it altogether)
16 tighten everything down as it was
17 refill the fluid reservoir
18 now the system needs to be bled... so leaving the cap on top of the pump, but NOT SCREWED ON, start the engine and let it idle for a few seconds or until you fear the pump might be too low on fluid.
19 turn off the engine & top off the power steering fluid level.

anyone PLEASE comment on these.. .My fluid has over 200k on it, I want to flush it asap... thanks!
Old 06-22-2004, 02:34 AM
Contributing Member

just found this too.. http://www.turbotbird.com/techinfo/power_steering.htm
Old 06-22-2004, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ByThaBay
**** bump ****