Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

URGENT! Help with Brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
URGENT! Help with Brakes.

Am I the ONLY person who has had trouble removing the brakelines from the caliper? I am currently just trying to upgrade from the 15 inch rotors to 16 inch slotted brembos and so I have to replace the Calipers... I tried to remove the bolt with a 10 mm wrench and stripped it so I ordered new brake lines from a fellow here on YT and am currently trying to replace the calipers, metal lines leading to the caliper, rotor, and pads. But for the life of me I cannot get the brake line loose... ive tried PB blaster WD 40 and even tabasco sauce to no avail... anyone have any tips for me? I am just letting the slightly stripped bolt soak in a mixture of the three penetrators... I am going to wait a while before I go out there to just get frustrated again.

It wouldnt be such a big deal If I had another mode of transportation, all my roomates are gone for the summer and I am just stuck here with all these brake parts and no way to put them on.

Im going to go out there and mount the caliper and install the pads so that when I get an answer i can just undo that bolt and get it done.

PS. Roor if you feel like a little wrenching and are around GSU feel free to roll by Garden District, I'll be the dirty hispanic throwing wrenches at the brakes.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:45 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I like to vent my frustrations the same way, it involves copious amounts of foul language as well.

Those damn brake line fittings. No, not just yours, trust me. Your supposed to use a brake line wrench, it will grab them like a socket to avoid stripping them. I don't own one, but I've thought about makin' one out of a socket wrench.

My only other advice is to let them soak as long as possible. Good luck.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vice Grips--clamp and turn--make sure you are turning the right way. Yuo already have a new line right? I know you dont want to hear this but tube wrenches..... you could also try heating it up a little. but dont heat so much as to possibly ruin seals in the caliper. BUT CLEAN ALL THE BRAKE FLUIDS, SOLEVENTS, AND PENATRANTS OFF before you do this. Dont want you to get burned up.

i am pretty sure the vise grips will do the trick though--I didnt have this problem and i just did the tundra upgrade. Good luck
Old 05-08-2007, 01:58 PM

I have a heat gun out there also, I just tried that and I have tried vicing them as well, I got a feeling im just going to hafta bite the bullet and get a brake line wrench before the bolt is completely stripped out of there.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:59 PM

The vice grips that I have though are a little larger than what I would want them to be, college budget though... I dont have much money but I do have time this week. If I just let them soak and soak and soak for a hours or a few days do you think i will be able to get them loose?
Old 05-08-2007, 02:03 PM

the only other thing I can hope for is that the rear brakes are a LITTLE easier than this... because I havent even started on the passenger side brake yet.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:15 PM

I would go ahead and get the brake line wrench. Probably your best bet. If you have a piece of pipe put it over the end for leverage.

Good ol Garden District...im gonna have to come back and visit GSU again soon.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:08 PM

Stretch lemme know if ya ever do and we'll have some beers. Alright fellas I got it solved and it was to use vise grips.. I just had to turn the little tensioner and they came right off. The brakes are installed and needless to say I had a few beers to calm me down from the frustration from earlier and now I don't have the hand-eye coordination to jack up the back of my car do the shoes so until ma?ana, thanks again.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:16 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Good to hear, now have more.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
glad to see you made it through--dont forget to seat the new line though!! or you will have leaks.