Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

1994 Toyota truck rear brake lines missing

Old 08-29-2015, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 Toyota truck rear brake lines missing

I bought a truck a couple of weeks ago and a few days after I got it I realized that it did not have rear brakes. As it turns out, the brake lines are capped at a bracket just behind the gas tank. I am trying to determine the best way to run the missing lines and get the brakes working again. While searching for a solution I found a schematic but it is not very clear. It looks like the lines may go into a block and out as one line, then down to the axle where it splits into two lines again. I realize the block is probably a load sensing valve, but again the picture is unclear. Either way it is missing on my truck. If anyone has an idea of how to plumb the lines to the wheel cylinders from behind the gas tank, I would love to hear it. Or just a better schematic would be great. Thanks in advance. -Rick
Old 08-29-2015, 10:30 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Should be one line from up around the Master Cylinder to a rubber line that goes to a tee splitting off to left and right going to the wheel cylinders

Easy way is to get the copper /nickle line and make your own lines.

If you plan to get a LSPV Load sensing Proportioning valve

I would have to double check just what side that comes off for a 94

None of my Toyota`s have these any more.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Should be one line from up around the Master Cylinder to a rubber line that goes to a tee splitting off to left and right going to the wheel cylinders

Easy way is to get the copper /nickle line and make your own lines.

If you plan to get a LSPV Load sensing Proportioning valve

I would have to double check just what side that comes off for a 94

None of my Toyota`s have these any more.
Yeah, I would have thought so too, but this truck has two lines that run from the engine compartment. The schematic shows both lines, so I guess they are correct. I really don't want to install the valve if I don't have to. I was wondering if I could just plumb each line to one of the wheels.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:10 PM

Red face

You only need one line for the rear brakes

Does this have the early anti locking brakes with valve piggybacked to the power steering pump??

Possible problem with this they just gave up . Then plugged the lines.

That could be the only reason the lines for the LSPV go back to a tee by the front brakes

It all depends just what you want it is your truck.

I run one line off the port of the Master cylinder to the frame by the rear end rubber hose to a tee lines to both wheel cylinders

It is the emergency brake use that keeps the rear brakes adjusted

Last edited by wyoming9; 08-29-2015 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:50 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
You will need some sort of proportioning valve or your rear brakes are likely to lock up.

The rear brakes need less pressure to operate than the front disk brakes.

Many people who have either modified their suspension or the original LSPV stopped working just install a manual valve. I still have the working original LSPV in my truck so I can't recommend how to install one but it shouldn't be too hard. Good Luck!

Old 08-30-2015, 04:57 AM

Thanks for the information guys.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:52 AM

Red face

Growing up and driving Trucks before any thoughts of ABS brakes or any brake bias valves one just gets accustom to braking without these things and drove according to conditions
Old 09-03-2015, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
You only need one line for the rear brakes

Does this have the early anti locking brakes with valve piggybacked to the power steering pump??

Possible problem with this they just gave up . Then plugged the lines.

That could be the only reason the lines for the LSPV go back to a tee by the front brakes

It all depends just what you want it is your truck.

I run one line off the port of the Master cylinder to the frame by the rear end rubber hose to a tee lines to both wheel cylinders

It is the emergency brake use that keeps the rear brakes adjusted
Upon closer inspection, one of the lines has been abandoned in place and is not connected on either end.

So, I have ordered the flexible line that goes down to the axle and will connect to a tee I ordered from LROR, triple alloy hard line (3/16") to go from there out to the hubs. Tube nuts (Inverted Flare, 3/16 in. Tube, 10mm x 1.0 ) from Summit, and a quality flare kit designed to make the double inverted flares needed on a Toyota. Of course I ordered new wheel cylinders and shoes too. Can anyone think of anything I am missing?
Old 09-03-2015, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
It sounds like you all the parts you will need. I dont know the sizes so am guessing on that. Like wyoming, I too grew up with out the ABS and prefer not having ABS. I actually think it does more harm then good. But for the general population it probably is a good thing.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:16 AM

Thanks Terry
Old 09-10-2015, 03:44 AM

For what it is worth, the parts list found above worked. You do need a special tube nut that has an unthreaded extension on the end so not just any 10x1mm tube nut will work. Summit was the only place I found them, but they were pretty cheap. I took my time and made sure all my flares were centered and I did not have any leaks. The most expensive part was the tee from LROR, but they were the only ones I found that had a tee that said it was for Toyota fittings. I did not install a proportioning valve and I have not had any problems. I will report back if that changes.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Great to hear you got it fixed. Thanks for letting us know how it went for you. Looking forward to your results.