Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Update on overheating 94 4Runner...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update on overheating 94 4Runner...

Ok...last night temp was too hot to check radiator - but I think that it's leaking. Checked this morning & reservoir is ok (obvious yesterday too of course) but radiator has no visible fluid. Lots of leakage at front right of truck, which I thought was a power steering leak (which I also have - trying to stop with Lucas Stop Leak fluid). Thus, now I think that there's a leak - perhaps it seems obvious but I'm new at this.

I still want to address the drop of oil with the Jiffy Lube folks - not real happy with their job there - last time anyone else changes it.

So do ya'll agree that's its radiator? Thanks again for the help - much appreciated. By the way, in response to some comments yesterday about "first time seeing temp guage," that was referring to the first time that it ever read hot.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 94_4Runner
Ok...last night temp was too hot to check radiator - but I think that it's leaking. Checked this morning & reservoir is ok (obvious yesterday too of course) but radiator has no visible fluid. Lots of leakage at front right of truck, which I thought was a power steering leak (which I also have - trying to stop with Lucas Stop Leak fluid). Thus, now I think that there's a leak - perhaps it seems obvious but I'm new at this.

I still want to address the drop of oil with the Jiffy Lube folks - not real happy with their job there - last time anyone else changes it.

So do ya'll agree that's its radiator? Thanks again for the help - much appreciated. By the way, in response to some comments yesterday about "first time seeing temp guage," that was referring to the first time that it ever read hot.
Just a note of recommendation....if you replace/fix the radiator...replace the thermostat as a cheap bit of prevention. My thermostat was sticking and blew the seams of the radiator. So a $2 part cost me $120 after I replaced the radiator and hoses. I also replaced the hoses and the belts since I had the radiator out, was MUCH easier to work on them. Check the thermostat...the water could have boiled out because it was sticking.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:22 PM

yeah, i had to replace my thermostat last week. its about $21 at the local toyota dealer. its just three bolts that you have to take off. mine started reading hot for no reason. i'd say change that first, unless you're positive there is a leak in the radiator
Old 06-06-2004, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by 94_4Runner

i know it is a silly question, did you ever check the oil dipstick to see if it was up to level? if its way low you will run hotter, and damage your shizits.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:32 AM

I did check the oil...seems to be fine...I filled the radiator with water last night to see how it holds - I"m taking it in today to see what gives. Thank ya'll for your support - you made a weekend without a mechanic and too much time to tinker much more bearable. I think we figured it out too - I'll let you know.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:49 AM

Check your radiator cap>if it's bad it will allow coolant past it into the overflow bottle but it wont siphon it back into the rad. when it cools.Also go with a factory T-stat,i wouldn't try to save a few bucks on such a critical item.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:26 AM

Yep another for checking the cap.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:08 PM

Yet another update on the radiator - I couldn't believe the leaks - wow! I felt good though knowing what it probably was ahead of time. Of course my local Toyota placed wanted to charge $70 just to pressure test - can you believe that? The local mechanic did that for free of course. He repaired it for $40. I'm happy.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:06 AM

repaired for $40? That dont sound bad at all. When i wanted mine repaird (one of my seams busted a leak) they wanted $200. A new radiator only cost me $175. Glad you got it all workin again.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:41 PM

I was very happy with this mechanic - he was honest & guaranteed his work. How often do you get someone who shakes your hand & guarantees his work. I've been telling everyone about him, which he deserves the business. He asked me why I'd want to buy a whole new radiator when he would repair it for $40. I asked about corrosion on other areas of the radiator - he is about 70 and looked at me & said, if I couldn't do it, I'd tell you.

I changed my belts, fuel filter and got everything where I'd like it. One happy customer. I wish these 4runners didn't have the rear end sag - what kind of stupid engineering was that?

I still cannot believe (actually I can) that Toyota wanted to charge $70 to do a pressure check on my radiator - what are they thinking? That is absolutely unethical - in my business I'd be in jail for doing that.