Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Ugh! Sway-bar endlink blowout....

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ugh! Sway-bar endlink blowout....

About a month ago I installed addco front and rear sway bars. I've been really happy with this mod until last nite when just driving home from a movie and BANG!!! It sounded like I ran a huge branch over or something, but when I looked in my rear view I didn't see anything behind me in the road. Then when I made a turn into my driveway, a crunching sound came from the left side. I got out and saw that the top of the right sway bar end link had snapped completely off!! What a bummer.
I used Jalaber's write-up (thanx again) to install the sway-bars and thus I agreed with his logic in reusing the stock endlinks instead of the supplied addco ones because I wanted to maintain the stock lower ball joint feature. When removing the old sway bar though I noticed some deterioration (rust and metal flaking) of the right stock end-link. I cleaned it up and my friend and I made an executive decision to proceed because the damage didn't look that bad. Oh well, guess I was wrong........
So now it seems I need a new endlink. A few questions:

Does anyone know the part number for the right front endlink?

Has anyone had something similiar happen? Is it alright to drive around with my current set-up? and what should I look out for til I can get this part fixed?

Thanx for listenin.......
Old 02-05-2003, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Part # 4882-035030 Retail $44.44 (online will be cheaper)

Sorry to hear that happened. My factory end-links are still in perfect condition. I would install the Addco link in the mean time to keep the bar from banging around. What were you doing when it broke, turning or going over a bump, etc...?
Old 02-05-2003, 07:56 AM

Originally posted by jalaber
Part # 4882-035030 Retail $44.44 (online will be cheaper)

Sorry to hear that happened. My factory end-links are still in perfect condition. I would install the Addco link in the mean time to keep the bar from banging around. What were you doing when it broke, turning or going over a bump, etc...?
Thanx for the part number, Jalaber.

In regards to the actual cicumstances - well that's the weird thing. I was just driving normally along a main straight thoroughfare. Maybe a dip in the road, but no bumps or turns. The thing just snapped - unfortunately I lost the bushings in the process, but I think I have some extras.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:02 AM

Just curious, where online would you order this part?
Old 02-05-2003, 09:43 AM
CTB

give partznet.com a try
Old 02-05-2003, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by bbeast
Just curious, where online would you order this part?
Yep...www.partznet.com. $35.20 from them.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:43 PM

endlink brackets

It's funny that this subject came up, I was driving home today and my Addco endlink L brackets broke on the driver side:mad:
Here is my question, is it safe to drive it until I can fix it this weekend? I already have the revised brackets with the gussets weld from Addco, was waiting for it to get warm so I can replace it, but I guess I have to do it sooner.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quick Silver,
Will you please explain your problem a little more clearly so that I can understand what you are describing?

The L bracket is on the front?

The L bracket is the Toyota OE balljoint endlink?

Where did it break (location)?

I am trying to figure out if by chance the heavier bars are stressing the OE hardware. As much as I like the OE hardware setup I am concerned that it can withstand the stress.

If an endlink comes loose and the rod is free and clear of the bar, you can drive the vehicle but it will feel off balance. Just take it slow.

Peter
Old 02-05-2003, 06:09 PM

Peter,

Sorry, I'll try to be more specific. The L brackets that came with the front Addco swaybar is broke, the Addco endlink is still good, just the L bracket that broke. So I guess it's pretty much the same as if the endlinks are broke, because it's not attached to the body anymore. I got the old L bracket when I ordered the swaybars last year through PP. Luckily, I found out that Addco also have a revised bracket with the gussets weld on them for just the 4Runner. I guess because so many people that put the Addco swaybar on their 4Runner have the L bracket broken off. This is why they have the revised L brackets. I broke it 2-3 minutes away from my house, therefore, I wouldn't know how it will handle on the freeway, since most of my travel are on the freeway. Hopefully that it's not to dangerous to drive on the freeway, I'll guess I'll find out tomorrow morning when I drive to work.

Thanks,
Old 02-05-2003, 06:23 PM

Tony,

Now I've got you. If the bracket you have is literally in the shape of an "L" (classic angle bracket) with no welded side gussets then you must have an old design; however, the ones that I have which are reinforced with welded triangular side gussets are very poorly done. The weld on one in particular is very flimsy. I didn't use these because I am using the OE endlinks with the ball sockets.

BTW, I want to express one caution that I will probably repeat later on for those who are new to turning a wrench. When installing the rear bracket bolts, be extremely careful not to over torque the bolts because if you strip the bolt holes in the mounting brackets, which are an integral part of the axle tubes ... you are screwed. I have a number of comments to contribute but I am not ready to do that just yet.

You're still all right until you can make the repair as long as you take it easy.

Peter
Old 02-05-2003, 06:51 PM

Peter,

You are using the OEM endlinks, how are they so far? I want to know because I still have my OEM endlinks, I might end up using it when I am repairing the bracket. It looks a lot stronger then the Addco endlinks, and with the ball-joint on it, it should help a little with the stress put on the endlinks with the Addco swaybars.
Another question that I have is that I will be lifting my 4Runner with the 1" PP springs, will the OEM endlinks be able to handle the lift?

Thanks,
Old 02-06-2003, 10:52 AM

OE Endlinks

Tony,
Sorry to take so long getting back to you. The OE endlinks are a thicker rod stock but the problem is that they require using the bushings that Addco supplies with their rear bar because the bar ends of the Addco bar are so-o-o massive. I tried using ES endlink bushings but they were still too fat and I was not able to get a purchase on the threaded shaft. I don't like the fact that these Addco bushings are pretty soft and it is easy to compress them. In order to find the happy mediium of just a enough pucker, you are up pretty much at the top of the theaded shaft. Therefore, I am using a nyloc nut instead of the OE nut on all endlinks so that the nuts don't walk off. On the rear, you have more threaded shaft so it would even be possible to use two nuts as a double precaution, but the nyloc nut is enough IMO. Also, on the front the bushings are so narrow that I question whether there is really enough cushioning to accomodate the flex that the bar may be subjected to when the suspension hangs freely. Furthermore, you will have to use the OE bushing washers or ream out the Addco washers. As for the length of the OE endlink vs the Addco end link, they are about the same length.

When I lowered my 4wd S10 (2") I did not change the endlinks and the geometry was offset slightly, but not enough to create a problem. I think with a one inch drop, you will have absolutely no problem.

I can't say enough good about this suspension mod if you are not off-roading. If you only have the front bar I say, why bother ... that is back asswards! But if you do the mod, do both bars because I think even with both bars, there is a tad bit of oversteer. I can only imagine what it would be like with only the rear Addco bar ... hairy. The anti sway bars take all the wobble and play out of the suspension and make it rock solid ( I didn't say hard) on the road. I absolutely love it and will probably do it to my other one too. Addco will powder coat the bars in red and I really like that touch. If anyone is contemplating the Addco bars, do not install them without the Energy Suspension greaseable bar bushings. In the long run, you will be glad you installed them.

The only thing I have done that excites me more than the Addco bars is the additional wooden dash pieces. The SC and exhaust are just okay. I will surely be in hog heaven when I get my Donnelly compass/temp mirror.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:06 PM

Re: endlink brackets

Originally posted by QuickSilver
It's funny that this subject came up, I was driving home today and my Addco endlink L brackets broke on the driver side:mad:
Here is my question, is it safe to drive it until I can fix it this weekend? I already have the revised brackets with the gussets weld from Addco, was waiting for it to get warm so I can replace it, but I guess I have to do it sooner.
It is perfectly safe to drive without the sway bar, infact, if you start wheeling you'll probably throw it away. Just remember that you're going to sway a little bit more in hard cornering. If you drive responsibily, you'll never need it or hardly even notice it.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:53 PM
Contributing Member

In late 2000 they redesigned the front endlinks. They are beefier.

Quite a bit was redesiged from the 96-97 model year as well. Get yourself a new set of 2001-2002 type endlinks and I bet you will be good to go.

Want to know about the front CV axle shafts? I am a pro at tearing those apart now as well.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:55 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: endlink brackets

Originally posted by upndair
It is perfectly safe to drive without the sway bar, infact, if you start wheeling you'll probably throw it away. Just remember that you're going to sway a little bit more in hard cornering. If you drive responsibily, you'll never need it or hardly even notice it.
You must have old junk or a frontal lobodomy. This man has new junk.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Ugh! Sway-bar endlink blowout....

Originally posted by bbeast
About a month ago I installed addco front and rear sway bars. I've been really happy with this mod until last nite when just driving home from a movie and BANG!!! It sounded like I ran a huge branch over or something, but when I looked in my rear view I didn't see anything behind me in the road. Then when I made a turn into my driveway, a crunching sound came from the left side. I got out and saw that the top of the right sway bar end link had snapped completely off!! What a bummer.
I used Jalaber's write-up (thanx again) to install the sway-bars and thus I agreed with his logic in reusing the stock endlinks instead of the supplied addco ones because I wanted to maintain the stock lower ball joint feature. When removing the old sway bar though I noticed some deterioration (rust and metal flaking) of the right stock end-link. I cleaned it up and my friend and I made an executive decision to proceed because the damage didn't look that bad. Oh well, guess I was wrong........
So now it seems I need a new endlink. A few questions:

Does anyone know the part number for the right front endlink?

Has anyone had something similiar happen? Is it alright to drive around with my current set-up? and what should I look out for til I can get this part fixed?

Thanx for listenin.......
If NUKE still made discos you would have your answer. His discos are way stronger than the Toyota end links. He has stoped making discos.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:22 PM

Re: Re: Re: endlink brackets

Originally posted by sschaefer3
You must have old junk or a frontal lobodomy. This man has new junk.
Wrong on both accounts.!

1994 Toyota 4Runner SR5, 8" lift, 37" tires and I drive it every day as a daily driver with NO sway bars.

I do know what I'm talking about. I've been there, done that, before you even bought your truck.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:04 AM
Contributing Member

If you run with the front only disconnected be ready for oversteer conditions. You may want to remove the rear also if it is going to be some time before you can get the new front end links.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:24 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: endlink brackets

Originally posted by upndair
Wrong on both accounts.!

1994 Toyota 4Runner SR5, 8" lift, 37" tires and I drive it every day as a daily driver with NO sway bars.

I do know what I'm talking about. I've been there, done that, before you even bought your truck.
Anything before 1996 IS OLD JUNK. You have torsion bars, 3rd Gen 4Runners have coils, as soon as you get a clue at the clue club, let me know.

Old Junk Boy.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: endlink brackets

Originally posted by sschaefer3
Anything before 1996 IS OLD JUNK. You have torsion bars, 3rd Gen 4Runners have coils, as soon as you get a clue at the clue club, let me know.

Old Junk Boy.
You don't know what you're calling OLD JUNK do you?

Let's see you do this. http://207.202.208.243/faithwheelers/Cap001.jpg

Or perhaps you could do this.
http://207.202.208.243/faithwheelers/122902_03.htm

Oh, and I bet your flex is as good as this???
http://207.202.208.243/faithwheelers/Img20.jpg

BTW, I don't have torsion bars.

Think before you speak (type) sschaefer3. You're not only out of touch, you're out of line in the forum. You sound like a snot nosed kid driving your momma truck and think you're tough.

You want to disagree with me fine, disagree and discuss, but you wannt compare rigs.., I'll drive right over top of you,

I can just hear the apology coming now...

Quick Reply: Ugh! Sway-bar endlink blowout....