Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

U Joints?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
U Joints?

I have a metalic grating noise (almost sounds like a heat shield in the exhaust rattling) consistent with my vehicle speed. This is my first truck ('97 tacoma 4x4 w/ 75k miles) so I've never dealt w/ ujoints and long drive shafts. I found some info on some other sites that say the noise can be worn ujoints in my shaft (actually have two shafts) or something that said the differential could be shot (a big financial ouch there). I trid to get some play on the ujoints, but didn't get any by moving up and down or twisting. Since it's relatively cheap to get the ujoints put into my shaft, am I better off just starting there, or is there something that I'm completely overlooking? Any thoughts here would be of great assistance. I'm not that handy with this stuff, but I don't have the financial means to do anything but fix it myself. The noise seems to be getting louder, so I feel like I should be fixing whatever it soon so I don't damage anything else.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:31 PM

You can elliminate or confirm the U-joints really easily. Crawl under the truck and grab the driveshaft with both hands (LOL sounds kinky)...seriosly though: try and wiggle it back and forth...if it moves back and forth the u-joints need to be replaced (easy 1/2 to 1 hours worth of work).

Originally Posted by brianp
I have a metalic grating noise (almost sounds like a heat shield in the exhaust rattling) consistent with my vehicle speed. This is my first truck ('97 tacoma 4x4 w/ 75k miles) so I've never dealt w/ ujoints and long drive shafts. I found some info on some other sites that say the noise can be worn ujoints in my shaft (actually have two shafts) or something that said the differential could be shot (a big financial ouch there). I trid to get some play on the ujoints, but didn't get any by moving up and down or twisting. Since it's relatively cheap to get the ujoints put into my shaft, am I better off just starting there, or is there something that I'm completely overlooking? Any thoughts here would be of great assistance. I'm not that handy with this stuff, but I don't have the financial means to do anything but fix it myself. The noise seems to be getting louder, so I feel like I should be fixing whatever it soon so I don't damage anything else.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by ctcost
You can elliminate or confirm the U-joints really easily. Crawl under the truck and grab the driveshaft with both hands (LOL sounds kinky)...seriosly though: try and wiggle it back and forth...if it moves back and forth the u-joints need to be replaced (easy 1/2 to 1 hours worth of work).

How??????????????
I need to replace mine and need YOU to do a write up uh please
Old 09-28-2004, 02:08 PM

Eeeeek...K well mine are done now but lemme see what I can come up with. Pretty easy process though...Jack the back...drop the shaft...bang out the old ones and install the new ones...put shaft back...drive!!!

I'll get more specifics up in a bit.

Originally Posted by Hyperlite
How??????????????
I need to replace mine and need YOU to do a write up uh please
Old 09-28-2004, 02:21 PM

i heard that you need a press/vise

thanks for the help
Old 09-28-2004, 02:45 PM

i had to cut my joints out of my shaft, but it may have been a severe case cause 2 of the 4 caps were broken.

wade
Old 09-28-2004, 05:37 PM

yeah i had to take a torch to one of mine too...this was right after i got it and (dad) who owned it before me has this idea that you drive a vehicle into the ground then buy a new one...It's ok as long as the interior and body/paint are in good shape but sheesh...this has been a great project!

Originally Posted by wimpywade94
i had to cut my joints out of my shaft, but it may have been a severe case cause 2 of the 4 caps were broken.

wade
Old 09-28-2004, 05:54 PM

nahh a ball peen hammer should work if they're not too bad. Pull as many of the clips as you can along the way...It's really more of a muscle job than a brain and planning job. Mine had gone so far that I had to grind down a little of the joint to get the new one in...held up fine so far.

If they are bad though. Fix them fast. I'd hate to have the front end of that shaft let go on the freeway.

Originally Posted by Hyperlite
i heard that you need a press/vise

thanks for the help
BTW Nice RUNNER Hyper!!!

Last edited by ctcost; 09-28-2004 at 06:06 PM.