Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Turn signals into DRL

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn signals into DRL

Hello,

Found some information on turning front turn signals into daytime running lights on 2002 or 2003 4runners and up. It's a matter of simply switching flasher relays that allow for DRL operation. Unfortunately, I have a 2000 4runner and that flasher relay won't work (after buying the part and then having to return it to Toyota!). Apparently they do not make a flasher module that enables the 2000 4runner.

I have already disabled stock DRL which run thru the headlights and want to hook up front turn signals so that they are on all the time during the day and will switch off when I turn the headlights on. Of course, they must also function normally to indicate a turn day or night.

Has anyone tried this mod on a 2000 model year?

thanks,Jon
Old 09-07-2006, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've looked at doing it on my 01. You have to get the flasher/drl relay and wiring harness from an 03 and up, and rewire the turn signals. Shouldn't be a major job if you have the wiring diagram and some electrical knowledge.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Other than being in canada, why would you want to have DRLs? Every time I see a car that has them, there's always a bulb that is out.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:13 PM

DRL's are for safety.
some states have a law that motorcycles must have a headlight on at all times.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:35 PM

Thanks for the replies. I really didn't want to get into a discussion of the pros and cons of DRL. My preference is to try to get the turn signals up front to stay on all the time and function as DRL. If not, then i will live without them.

I did purchase the flasher/DRL relay for the 03 and up 4runner but it is not a simple plug-and-play installation and in fact will not fit my 00 4runner. I suppose there may be a way to make it work for a 00 but I do not have that knowledge so I just returned the part.

I am sure though that someone with strong electrical knowledge could figure out a way to get the front turn indicators to behave as daytime running lights and would welcome any feedback.

thanks,Jon
Old 09-07-2006, 02:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by surf4runner
DRL's are for safety.
some states have a law that motorcycles must have a headlight on at all times.
I know about that on motorcycles...but that's a little different, they just seem kinda pointless, unless they're required. I'm done.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jonb
Thanks for the replies. I really didn't want to get into a discussion of the pros and cons of DRL. My preference is to try to get the turn signals up front to stay on all the time and function as DRL. If not, then i will live without them.

I did purchase the flasher/DRL relay for the 03 and up 4runner but it is not a simple plug-and-play installation and in fact will not fit my 00 4runner. I suppose there may be a way to make it work for a 00 but I do not have that knowledge so I just returned the part.

I am sure though that someone with strong electrical knowledge could figure out a way to get the front turn indicators to behave as daytime running lights and would welcome any feedback.

thanks,Jon
I'm not sure why you'd want to hook hook up the turn signals to the DRL's since you need them for signaling (might be illegal)? My suggestion would be to hook up the headlights instead to just come on as DRLs (what I did) or use a seperate set of fog lights for your DRLs all of which can be done with a simple relay.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:34 AM

Well I replaced my stock headlight bulbs with better Sylvania Xtravision bulbs that put out more light. Stock DRL on 00 4runner uses headlight at reduced power during the day but I did not want that as the new bulb would burn out much faster. So I disconnected DRL running thru headlights...

Without getting into pros/cons of daytime running lights, I wanted to try using front turn signals as DRL instead as long as they function as normal turn indicators as well. Found a product generic DRL module at http://www.webelectricproducts.com/ and thought I might give that a try. It's about $40 and it might be an interesting project and give my 4runner unique look.

Jon
Old 09-08-2006, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
I'm not sure why you'd want to hook hook up the turn signals to the DRL's since you need them for signaling (might be illegal)?
I've been thinking of using my turn signals because with all vehicles having DRLs here the amber lights seem to stand out more. Some newer vehicles are using them, eg 4th gen Runners, and as far as the legality is concerned, it's allowed in Canada.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i like how the 4th gen tacos have the amber lights for the drl it was more noticable than the car infront of it with its headlights on
Old 09-08-2006, 12:27 PM

That's exactly the reason I want to try using the amber turn indicators as DRL--possibly more noticeable without the headlights bothering any drivers--different setup without being annoying to others.

So I ordered the module and should get it sometime next week to install. If I really don't like it, I'll just remove it. Hooking it up to existing wiring may be a slight challenge as I will need to identify specific turn signal and parking light wires to tap into.

If anyone can email a wiring diagram or has access to one...I will need to know wire colors for left/right turn signal lamps and parking lamps. Specifically, ground and hot for the signal lamps and ground and hot for the parking lamps. Also I will need to tap into a switched ignition power circuit for power to the module. All this is supposed to be wired up under the hood.

thanks for any help. Jon
Old 09-08-2006, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

I have the complete wiring diagrams for a 2000 4runner, I can email you a copy if you send me an address.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

you could do that if you have that front bumper https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...light=Kuryakyn
Old 09-08-2006, 03:52 PM

i drive around with my headlights on all the time. just one less thing that will be chalked up to being my fault if i do get into an accident.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

only time i use my headlights during the day is if its foggy or its rainny and if some one cant see me i well let them no as i have a better horn than the factory

Last edited by Elton; 09-08-2006 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:42 AM

Been looking at wiring diagrams for the 4runner (Thanks to eric-the-red!) but having trouble finding a wire that i will need to hook up this DRL module. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble locating a wire that is hot 12V only with the engine running that will supply the power to the DRL relay module. Can anyone make a suggestion or where to find one?

thanks again.Jon
Old 09-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

Use the wire that went to the original DRL relay, yellow/green on the wiring diagram.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:23 PM

Great--found the Y-G wire at the DRL relay under the dash near steering column with help of the wiring diagram. My next question is do I need to install fuse between the power wire from the DRL module and this Y-G wire that I plan on tapping into?

The instructions for the DRL module read "The YELLOW wire coming from the module needs to be connected to a switched power circuit. Locate a circuit that is fused for at least 15 amps."

Sorry for the ignorance--just don't want to fry anything!
thanks.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

Probably a good idea, that Y-G wire comes straight from the alternator, and could send the full 60 or 70A to your new module if anything went wrong.

Make sure you let us know how it works out, I'd still like to do this mod to mine.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:31 PM

Well...completed the DRL mod successfully today and it looks pretty good and functions just how it should. Will have to drive around with it for a while for long-term testing though.

Instructions that came with the module were well laid out and simple. A couple questions, wiring diagram and i was good to go. Installed it under the hood near the fusebox. Wires run from there to your parking lights (to tell the relay when to turn off the DRL) and to both front turn lights. Another wire runs to 12V switched and that's where I really ran into trouble temporarily!

Y/G wire on stock DRL relay module (inside near steering column) was the only wire that I was able to find which had 12V only when the engine was running which was what i wanted. Then I discovered that same Y/G wire under the hood pluged into bottom of fuse block. Cool I wouldn't need to even run a wire inside the cab. Tested again--12V engine running great...hooked up my new DRL module wire to that Y/G wire....no DRL and all the other wires were connected. Now i'm a little upset and confused

Left wire connected and test voltage again and it was only a little over 6 volts! What's up with that!! Disconnected and touched the DRL wire to battery + terminal and everything worked fine so i now module was ok. Anyways tested that Y/G wire again after disconnecting DRL and it's back up to over 12V. I have no idea...so I just ran it to 12V with ignition on attached to another wire inside the cab. That was my only problem and i can probably live with it.

Installation took me a long time after deciding where to mount the DRL running wires, splicing, wire loom, tie wraps and making everything look pretty. Kit comes with all connectors and extra wire but i ended up buying heat shrink butt connectors for extra protection.

Feel free to ask any other questions and good luck if u decide on this mod.

Jon

Quick Reply: Turn signals into DRL