Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tundra or 4runner?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tundra or 4runner?

Hi there, Yotas.
I own a '90 4runner and a '01 4runner LTD. I'm considering selling both to buy a '01-'05 Tundra LTD. I live in San Francisco and parking will definitely be an issue with a full-size truck. Other than that, I am inquiring about the pros and cons of owning a Tundra vs. 4runner.
I use my 4runner for ski trips, semi-off road camping trips, kart-racing and surf trips. The 4runner stores my longer surfboards and go-kart securely. Since the back seats of the 4runner hardly get used and are usually stowed away, the 4runner interior is acting like a truck bed.

I'm curious about the difference in handling and comfort and storage.

Anybody out there have the same issues and converted over to the Tundra? I like to get some feedback...Thanks
Old 07-24-2005, 04:00 PM

Received 637 Likes on 513 Posts
Do you live in the city it's self? Just curious, I'm from Woodside, down by Redwood city...
Old 07-24-2005, 04:12 PM
Contributing Member

Id get the tundra, then you can put crap in your truck and not worry about ruining the interior. My next truck will be a 05+ double cab tundra limited in sunfire red. Of course that will be in 20 years after this 4runner dies, hahaha. Since I dont have car payments now, Im gonna run this one till it dies.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:18 PM

Hey Bro,i own a 2nd gen 4runner but i get to drive an 03 V8 Tundra Access cab 3 times a week,and i have to tell you that the Tundra will serve your needs well. im just gonna highlight a couple of thing that i like about the tundra;1st its turning radius is on-par with the 2nd gen 4runner that u own and the overall feel of the steering gives you a sense that you're driving a much smaller vehicle so the Whole parking thing should not be an issue(the Tundra's demensions arent quite as large as the offerings that Ford and gm label 'fullsize') as Far as storage i think the 4runners have the Tundra beat.Like you said, the 4runners meet all your storage needs when it comes to keeping your boards safe when u have to leave them unattended.so unless you have a Toneu-cover on the tundra the 4runner prevails.the Seating in the tundra is kind of deceptive,at first it feels comfortable but after an extended period its evident it lacks the lumbar support that the 6-way adjustable seats in my 2nd gen provide...but thats just me...know the good part...the V8 in the tundra is really impressive. the Torque along with the flawless shifting from the Transmission really make this a winner..My Biggest Gripe with the Tundra is the Column Mounted Shifter,but thats just me being picky

So i highly recomend a change of scenery,sell both 4runners and get a Tundra get a newer one so that you can enjoy the 282ponies..
Old 07-24-2005, 04:27 PM
Contributing Member

A few months ago, I did just what you are describing. I sold my 2001 4-Runner for a 05 Tundra Double cab. I live in the northern suburbs of chicago so heave traffic and confined spaces are as much of an issue for me, which is good because the Tundra is BIG. It doesn't feel big when you drive it but in tight parking garages you will.
Your cart and long boad will both fit in together and you won't smell gas in the cabin.
The new V8 gets as good milage as the 4-Runner, if not better, and has more get up and go. It also drives much smoother, it's a little floaty, but nice. I put an ARE cap on it so my bikes are real secure in the back. The interior is almost identical except for the shifter is on the column and the cab is wider.

I loved my 4-Runner but I like the Tundra better.
The new Tundra:

The bike rack:

I couldn't do this with the 4-Runner.

Good luck with your decision.

B.

Last edited by Bluedog; 07-24-2005 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bluedog
A few months ago, I did just what you are describing. I sold my 2001 4-Runner for a 05 Tundra Double cab. I live in the northern suburbs of chicago so heave traffic and confined spaces are as much of an issue for me, which is good because the Tundra is BIG. It doesn't feel big when you drive it but in tight parking garages you will.
Your cart and long boad will both fit in together and you won't smell gas in the cabin.
The new V8 gets as good milage as the 4-Runner, if not better, and has more get up and go. It also drives much smoother, it's a little floaty, but nice. I put an ARE cap on it so my bikes are real secure in the back. The interior is almost identical except for the shifter is on the column and the cab is wider.

I loved my 4-Runner but I like the Tundra better.
The new Tundra:

The bike rack:

B.
bluedog that cap is REALLY nice what brand is it?

Im also debating the 4runner vs. pickup. My 4runner may be an SUV but its cargo space is pretty limited. Im in a band a a pick-up with a toneau cover would be great for pa speakers and all of that non-sense, guitars would fit behind the seat in an access cab probably
Old 07-24-2005, 06:32 PM

How about the new Tacoma with a Topper.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

If you get a Tundra...you gotta get a Double Cab. My dad just got a completely loaded '05 Tundra DC and its AMAZING!!! I recommend that if you go the truck route.

Just my .02

Fink
Old 07-24-2005, 10:08 PM

Tundra vs. 4runner

Thanks for the instant feedback. Sounds like you guys who have converted to from 4runners to Tundras are happy with the decision. My main concern was the actual length of the truck. The Tundra is about 29 inches longer than a '01 4runner.

Did anyone consider the new 2005 Tacoma?
Toyota finally made the Tacoma wider and plusher, but still doesn't offer leather seats or a sliding rear window. It would make storing a longboard easier with a camper shell.

Any comments on whether the Tundra Access cab or Double Cab makes a big difference?
I'm not sure, but the double cab may be longer than the Access Cab and have a shorter bed. There must be pros and cons with this choice as well.

Thanks again....
Old 07-24-2005, 11:17 PM
Contributing Member

man i want an 05 tundra limited get it please
Old 07-24-2005, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bluedog
The bike rack:

B.
I have done that same thing in my 4Runner. Although you still have then entire cabin free, plus more cargo space to spare

The black wheels and wlo tires look great.

The Tundra DC's are great, just seem too difficult in the city (for me).
Old 07-25-2005, 08:11 AM

One last thought...(thanks for the feedback)

How secure is a shell?
Since I live in the City and crime is an issue, have camper shells become more secure? I remember seeing someone pulling hard on the tailgate and opening up the rear, even with the shell locked.

Can the shell be rigged with an alarm?

Anything to look out for in a used Tundra 4x4 Ltd.(2001-2004)?

This forum is great! I couldn't get an unbaised response from the dealer.

Old 07-25-2005, 12:41 PM
Contributing Member

The length does cause some problems when parallel parking, but other than, just take the turns a little bit wider and you should be alright.

My dad came from a quad cab longbox chevy cummins 3500, thats the biggest truck you can get...he said its like drivin a Miata around now! LoL.

Fink
Old 07-25-2005, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by surferfrank
One last thought...(thanks for the feedback)

How secure is a shell?
Since I live in the City and crime is an issue, have camper shells become more secure? I remember seeing someone pulling hard on the tailgate and opening up the rear, even with the shell locked.

Can the shell be rigged with an alarm?

Anything to look out for in a used Tundra 4x4 Ltd.(2001-2004)?

This forum is great! I couldn't get an unbaised response from the dealer.

My area is fairly secure. If I was in the city I wouldn'e leave anything of value in the back.

I do have a lock on the tail gate and shell so I don't thing pulling on the tail gate would yield the same results.