Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

TRD Supercharger problem on my 95 T-100

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy TRD Supercharger problem on my 95 T-100

I discovered this web site while researching the problem I have had with my new supercharger. I have had many people tell me many different options and fixes and I can't seem to find what is really going on, if there is even a solution. Please read my e-mails and replies below that I sent to TRD_Help this morning. (not good news at all) And if anyone has one working on a 95-96 please let me know how you did it... thanks for your time.

TRD,
I recently had a new second generation TRD supercharger installed at a Toyotadealership. I have a 1995 T-100 with a 3.4 V6 and automatic tranny. I was not very impressed with the power increase and expected more after reading the specs of the supercharger on your website. Also many others with the supercharger said that it sounds like I am not getting the full power that it should be using. After many hours of research on the internet I have heard of possibilities that the trucks computer needs about 1000 or more miles to adjust for the supercharger and then a huge power increase will start. I only have about 500 miles on it now. I also had one person tell me that I may need a newer computer out of a 1997truck for it to work correctly, and others tell me that isn't true, it just needs the time to adjust. If possible I don't plan to do any other modifications to the engine except for an air intake system and cat back exhaust. I also heard that the supercharger could cause faster wear on the auto trannyand there is a company that does a torque converter mod and a valve body mod for the trannyto hold up to the extra power. Is this true?

Thanks for your help,
Curtis Guise

Mr. Guise,

Thank you for your interest in TRD. Unfortunately the supercharger is not compatible with the 95-96 T-100 factory engine management unit. There is a florescent green sheet inside of the supercharger box stating this. Please contact the dealership you purchased the supercharger from.

TRD_Help

When purchasing the supercharger from Toyota they looked it up telling me that it will work with my 1995 T-100, and they did the install. I never opened the box myself. I was told by another person that I may need to replace the computer with a 1997 unit. Is this correct and will the 1997 computer plug into my truck? Is there anyone at TRD that I can call to talk to if this is a possible solution for me?

Is Toyota/TRD going to uninstall and refund my money if there is no solution for me?

Thank you,
Curtis Guise

Mr. Guise

I am sorry, but there is no kit to make the supercharger work for the 95-96 T100s. TRD cannot issue the refund because TRD has informed all dealers that the supercharger will not work on the 95-96 T100 and Tacomas. Also, there is a warning label inside the box saying that the supercharger will not work for those particular Toyotas.

TRD_Help
Old 01-09-2003, 10:31 AM

It is true that there is a sheet in the box for the SC that says it won't work on the early T100's...I'd go to the dealer and take it up with them, they should offer a refund IMO.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by PhxTRDRunner
It is true that there is a sheet in the box for the SC that says it won't work on the early T100's...I'd go to the dealer and take it up with them, they should offer a refund IMO.

I was just told by a Toyota tech (friend of a friend) that the difference is only in the map sensor in the ECU. it doesn't notice the boost of the supercharger like the later model ECU's do. He said I can try and find a later ECU and see if it will plug in, or I may need the harness also.

Another friend just suggested ELprototypes. He said they do ECU mods that re-map the ECU and they remove the speed governor. I will be calling them today...
Old 01-09-2003, 03:24 PM

Ok I just got all the info from EL Prototypes. They checked the numbers on the chips in my ECU and they do have a program for it. and luckily mine is the 1 ROM board that is only $775 to upgrade compared to $1350 for the 2 ROM board. He said with their modification it will put me about where you would be by putting a supercharger on a stock 1997 truck. He said the 97 is the last year of the ECU they can modify and its the best truck to have because they can get the most performance from it. He also said they can't do to much with my 95 ECU as far as the timing/detonation but it might help. He said a fuel pump with 255 litres per hour, bigger injectors and colder plugs will help with that problem. And it would take about 2 weeks to have it done.

So I either need to have that done while I have the truck parked because I will be doing some major suspension and cage work on it, or see if I can put a 97 computer in it.

If anyone knows if a 97 computer would plug in please let me know.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by jdfab

If anyone knows if a 97 computer would plug in please let me know.
It will probably need modifications to the wiring harness, just because 1995 was OBD I and 1997 was OBD II
Old 01-09-2003, 07:47 PM

Ok,

I'm pretty new to all this, but I would check two places before you even consider the El prototypes ECU upgrade. They have not been recommended to me, and I own a 1998 Toyota 4-Runner with the 3.4 liter V6, but I'm not sure of the differences in the computers. Obviously, there is a difference. But check out these two sources first, in my opinion:

1) Split Second FTC1-E at www.splitsec.com
2) http://www.tuningtechnology.com/productsperfectp.html
3) http://www.perfectpower.com/products/smt6.asp

These units are adjustable using a laptop computer, and the number of times and adjustments are not limited to anything. If you upgrade something later on, then you can readjust again if you'd like. Buy it once, and you will have infinite adjustment.

The only thing I'm not sure of is that your computer may not recognize these things either, so I would contact both of these companies, and they will know for sure. Hope this helps!

Also, I will be installing my supercharger soon, but I have to decide on which unit I'm going to choose too. Either the FTC1-E or SMT-6. I have to the do some other research too, but I would first check out the forum titled "New Performance Mod/Part" for a more detailed list of the SMT-6 functions. It's supposed to be the better and more inexpensive unit of the two. Check it out and let us know what you find out.

Chris
Old 01-09-2003, 07:53 PM

Chris,
Thanks for the info on the other companies. Adjustability sounds great to me. Also, EL Prototypes wouldn't be able to help you anyway because they can only modify 95-97 ECU's, that is what they told me on the phone earlier. I will post here if I find any other usefull info.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:59 PM

Yeah,

It's not only that about EL Prototypes. Check out Gadgetonline.com for more info on that. He didn't recommend it to me or, I think, anyone else for that matter anymore. You can email him directly to find out more if you want. Also, I was just looking on the Perfect Power site, and they have a stand-alone unit called the PRS. The main difference between this unit the the SMT-6 unit is that it replaces your ECU, which may be the best route for you. Although, I would definitely ask them to be sure. Let us know what you find out!

Chris
Old 01-09-2003, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by ravencr
Yeah,

It's not only that about EL Prototypes. Check out Gadgetonline.com for more info on that. He didn't recommend it to me or, I think, anyone else for that matter anymore. You can email him directly to find out more if you want.

Chris
I did read on his site that he didn't recomend Jet, but I thought he recomended EL. Maybe I didn't read enough and he ended up having a bad experience with them. I did call Jet for the heck of it and they didn't have a clue....
I also e-mailed Gadget but I haven't heard anything. Maybe he is busy or something.

Here is some info that may interest you. It was posted on www.race-dezert.com by a friend that goes with us to the desert races.

OK, I just got off the phone with the man who put the very first Eaton blower on a T-100. It was the prototype truck. What he told me was first, make sure it's making boost. There is a bypass in the manifold, try winging it and listen for that characteristic whine of the blower working. If the by-pass is opening too soon it could be dumping boost. Might invest in a boost gauge to check just how much you are getting.
Appearently the stock exhaust leaves a LOT to be desired. One of the headpipes has an extremely tight bend in it just down from the flange with the manifold, and then the pipe crosses over the top of the bellhousing btwn the heads and the firewall where it stabs into the opposite headpipe just down from that manifold. He suggested pulling the exhaust loose at the cat and bolting the opposite tabs together to form an open exhaust, then test drive it around the block. If it's working right you should be able to light up 33-12.50's at will (4.56 gearing).
On the proto truck they put headers, maybe Downey - it's been a while since he did this, on the truck and routed a pair of 2.25" head pipes to behind the transfer case where they were Y'd together into a single 3". The truck has a huge cat and a Borla muffler on it. It's too loud for my personal pref, but something other than the Borla would cure that.
Also, check the vacuum/pressure hose routing. They ran into one/some of the diagrams not being correct and had to re-route some of the hoses.
They had a chip burned for the truck by someplace in LA. The name was escaping him at the moment, but if needed he can probably dredge it up.
TS
Old 01-10-2003, 01:16 AM

I have a 96 T-100 SR5 Xtra-Cab w/ a first generation supercharger and no problems. The first generation does include the TRD FMU. Did the dealership do the Free FMU setup? I live in California so I can only 91 octane gas.

Here are some of the other mods I have:
TRD 160 degree thermostat, Dynomax superturbo muffler, Downey K&N filter kit, Hayden tranny cooler, Level 10 valve body upgrade, Optima battery, NGK 1 step colder plugs

SUSPENSION
31" BFG TA KO tires, 2" body lift, Fabtech upper control arms, sway-a-way torsion bars, rancho shocks
Old 01-10-2003, 04:05 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jdfab
I did read on his site that he didn't recomend Jet, but I thought he recomended EL. Maybe I didn't read enough and he ended up having a bad experience with them. I did call Jet for the heck of it and they didn't have a clue....
I also e-mailed Gadget but I haven't heard anything. Maybe he is busy or something.
[quote] Here's what gadget told me a couple of weeks ago about the ECU upgrade from EL prototypes. But also our vehicles may be vastly different in the computer area, plus mine is a 1998:

6) What about the EL prototypes ECU upgrade? I looked on their site, and didn't see anything for a 1998.

Don't even consider it. (gadget's response)

Now, as I stated above things sound different between our vehicles for sure. That's why I would talk to Perfect Power and Split Second to find out the best program for you. Plus the perfect power unit could be way cheaper than EL prototypts ECU upgrade, which is another good thing. I could be way off with all this, but maybe you can check things out and find out what you need. Hope this helps!

Chris
Old 01-10-2003, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by djalexr
I have a 96 T-100 SR5 Xtra-Cab w/ a first generation supercharger and no problems. The first generation does include the TRD FMU. Did the dealership do the Free FMU setup? I live in California so I can only 91 octane gas.

Here are some of the other mods I have:
TRD 160 degree thermostat, Dynomax superturbo muffler, Downey K&N filter kit, Hayden tranny cooler, Level 10 valve body upgrade, Optima battery, NGK 1 step colder plugs

SUSPENSION
31" BFG TA KO tires, 2" body lift, Fabtech upper control arms, sway-a-way torsion bars, rancho shocks
was the Level 10 valve body mod worth the $600 or whatever they charge. Do you really think your tranny would have failed without it? and what about the torque converter upgrade?
I don't think they did the free FMU setup. I will have to go look. If not, do I just have to hook the FMU line to the boost port on the supercharger? then what about hooking up a boost gauge if you use that port?
Old 01-10-2003, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by djalexr

here is a couple of pics. it looks like they did the free FMU, does it look right to you guys?
http://www.jdfab.com/forsale/cars/t100free.jpg
http://www.jdfab.com/forsale/cars/t100super.jpg
Old 01-10-2003, 12:06 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ravencr
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jdfab
Here's what gadget told me a couple of weeks ago about the ECU upgrade from EL prototypes. But also our vehicles may be vastly different in the computer area, plus mine is a 1998:

6) What about the EL prototypes ECU upgrade? I looked on their site, and didn't see anything for a 1998.

Don't even consider it. (gadget's response)

Chris
Maybe he said that becuase they can't do anything to a 98 ECU, but I would still like to talk to him to find out. I read his entire site again last night and didn't see anything negative about them. I did see how he doesn't recomend Maxx any more. I wonder if there is anyone else that sells similar products as them.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:33 PM

JDFAB,

You coul easily be correct on the EL Prototypes thing from Gadget being solely about the fact that my vehicle is a 1998 and they don't do that year. Could easily be! But I would check with him. Let's put it this way, everyone I have talked to: Split Second, Level 10, etc. know Gadget, so I think he knows what he's talking about to say the least. I would just check as you said you wanted to.

Also, I don't know who said it, but I talked with Level 10, and they said they would charge me about $4200 for the entire rebuild if I sent them the tranny. This would include the valve body recalibration, the torque converter (actually performed by a company called Pro-Torque), and the PTS rebuild kit. He said that after that was finished, my tranny could easily withstand up to 800 HP!!! WOW! But who they heck needs that, but my tranny is slipping a tad, and he did say they sell a manual to do the PTS kit. So, what that means to me is that I'm going to send off the Torque Converter and Valve body so they can take of that. I'm going to buy the PTS kit, have a local shop take the tranny out and re-install it once I'm finished doing the rebuild. Now, I did ask what tools I would need, and what kind of experience, and he said that it could be done with a good set of mechanic's tools and a torque wrench. The manual costs $29.00. So that's what I'm going to do.

Now to answer your question about whether or not it's worth it. I have no clue, but all I can base decision on is whether other like it. Everyone I have talked to said it was well worth it. If your tranny is shifting and running great right now, all I would do is the Valve Body Recalibration. It will improve your shifts tremendously. They will get shorter and shorter as you increase throttle, and vice versa, which is what produces heat and eventually can ruin our trannies. Since min is slipping, I'm doing the whole shabang! It's going to run right around $2,000.

Hope this helps!

Chris
Old 01-10-2003, 01:02 PM

back to your idea on the simplest possible solution: if for some reason you do find out that that '97 computer will plug into your harness, and you decide to go that route, here is a place that sells rebuilt computers for just about everything. i bought a computer for my civic here and a guy i work with has bought a few from this place for some cars he sells. sometimes they have a ton of inventory, and sometimes they don't but it might be worth a call

Fords & Foreign 619-661-8085

located in san diego, ca.

good luck!
Old 01-10-2003, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by monkeynuts
back to your idea on the simplest possible solution: if for some reason you do find out that that '97 computer will plug into your harness, and you decide to go that route, here is a place that sells rebuilt computers for just about everything. i bought a computer for my civic here and a guy i work with has bought a few from this place for some cars he sells. sometimes they have a ton of inventory, and sometimes they don't but it might be worth a call

Fords & Foreign 619-661-8085

located in san diego, ca.

good luck!
I just called them and he said it wouldn't work. He also sounded in a rush or something so he wasn't to helpfull.
Old 01-10-2003, 01:41 PM

that's too bad it won't work, woth a call though

good luck
Old 01-12-2003, 01:39 PM

Don't waist your money swapping a later model ECU into your truck. You will spend a lot of money and it will still run like crap and have the same problems as all the rest of them like the HG/LR-Ping, high RPM lean out and so on.

If you do the basic mods you will solve all the current problems and it will run like all the other ones with the same mods.

1. Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump
2. Proper size fuel injectors
3. Split Second FTC

TRD said the very same thing about the 95 Taco. I worked with a guy and he followed my suggestions, but went a little further. Instead of using the FTC he had a Uni-Chip installed and tuned by Tony at The Racers Group in SF CA.

Remember that TRD told this guy that the supercharger will never work on his truck and told him to swap in a 97 ECU. He ignored TRD like he should have and did it right. His truck now makes 260 HP at the rear wheels with a stock pulley on the supercharger.

He is sending my all of his info and I am going to throw a page together on his truck and his end result for everyone to see.

I keep telling people to stay away from uping the boost with those stupid smaller pullies because I know that with the proper fuel delivery and proper tuning you can find a ton of power in these engines without hurting them.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 01-12-2003, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by Gadget
If you do the basic mods you will solve all the current problems and it will run like all the other ones with the same mods.

1. Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump
2. Proper size fuel injectors
3. Split Second FTC
Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
I know what my next engine mods will be

Quick Reply: TRD Supercharger problem on my 95 T-100