Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

TRD, Hayden or Trucool Transmission Cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TRD, Hayden or Trucool Transmission Cooler?

Okay, I'm trying to figure out which transmission cooler to use. I have a new TRD cooler in the box ready to install, but I have read that Hayden or maybe trucool may be better. I do have a S/C and I see some big hills out here in Colorado, but I don't tow anything.

What's the best for a '99 4runner 4X4 with S/C that fits without too many modifications?

Thanks!!!
Old 12-09-2004, 05:25 PM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by travelinman
Okay, I'm trying to figure out which transmission cooler to use. I have a new TRD cooler in the box ready to install, but I have read that Hayden or maybe trucool may be better. I do have a S/C and I see some big hills out here in Colorado, but I don't tow anything.

What's the best for a '99 4runner 4X4 with S/C that fits without too many modifications?

Thanks!!!
I installed mine last week after my supercharger install.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/trans-cooler-installed-46476/
I think the Hayden and the TRD coolers look alot a like (stack plate design) and should perform the same just that the Hayden is alot cheaper
Old 12-09-2004, 06:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey I grew up in Louisville right down south boulder road! Anyways, I have the trd cooler (got it as a present) and it was an extremely easy install. there is a great write up for the install in the tech section. No modifications to anything, just mount the cooler and reroute the tranmission fluid lines.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

From what I've found out & read Hayden makes the TRD trans. cooler...
I have the TRD one-- all the mountings are much better,cleaner look and very easy to install--
Old 12-09-2004, 08:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Hayden 1678 is the TRD cooler - the difference is in the brackets. Mounting a tranny cooler is a snap - there's no physical stress on the cooler itself, so the plastic zip-tie like holders work just fine.

fwiw, I got my Hayden for $51 (including shipping) about a year ago.

Tranny coolers are rated per the gross weight of the vehicle. The Tru-Cool 4451 or 4452 would do you just fine. Either's under $40 from these guys:

Makco Distributing
Old 12-09-2004, 09:28 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, thanks everyone! I'll just go with what I have then. It sounds like the TRD will do the job fine and, since I already have it, it'll be easier than buying something else.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Greedy
Hey I grew up in Louisville right down south boulder road! Anyways, I have the trd cooler (got it as a present) and it was an extremely easy install. there is a great write up for the install in the tech section. No modifications to anything, just mount the cooler and reroute the tranmission fluid lines.
That's cool!!! I think that we have almost the same 4runners. Mine looks just like your in your avatar. All is well in Boulder county although it's gotten a bit crowded here. I've been here since 1974 (I was 4 then) except for a few years in Maui. If you come back, let me know.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:50 PM

I got the B&m one for my truck for about $75 full kit,
Old 12-10-2004, 05:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Noliwan
From what I've found out & read Hayden makes the TRD trans. cooler...
I have the TRD one-- all the mountings are much better,cleaner look and very easy to install--
That's the exact reason I bought a TRD one. I like how the brackets are made to fit.

I would just install the TRD tranny cooler since you already have it.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:47 PM
Contributing Member

I'm sticking with the TRD. It seems like the best bet, considering I already have it...I've just been lazy about putting it on. Thanks for the input everyone!
Old 09-03-2007, 11:25 PM

Hayden vs. Tru-Cool?

New to this board! Hello!

I've done the research and I can't seem to find the answer to the original question on this thread. Seems like the originator decided to go with his TRD trans cooler because he already had it but the question never really got answered?

I'm planning to go the SC route later but it makes more sense to start with installing the ancillary parts first (can't hurt and can only help, right?). Hence, my tranny cooler question.

My question:
I've narrowed down my choices to Hayden vs. Tru-Cool. Which one to get? Toss up?

Hayden Pros:
* TRD rebadges this and sells it a theirs. They're at least willing to put their name to the product. So that has to mean something... haha
* Slightly cheaper it seems but not really by much vs. the Tru-Cool

Tru-Cool Pros:
* Self regulating temperature feature. I really like this since I do a fair amount of skiing/snowboarding in the mountains and I can install a larger cooler without worrying about over cooling and minimizes pressure drops.
* Better installation hardware

Not sure if I missed anything... Did I?

If not, I think i'm going with a Tru-Cool but wanted to get one last query to everyone before I hit this "check-out" button

Thanks!

Last edited by TacoTruck; 09-03-2007 at 11:27 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:15 AM
Contributing Member

I'm leaning towards the Tru-cool for the reasons you have listed. Where are you getting it from?
Old 09-04-2007, 04:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive had my TRD cooler for about three years now and has been great. I did a 1500 mile move from California to Texas in the start of summer. My tranny ranged from 175-215. With 3500-4000 behind her. IPT makes some pretty nice looking coolers but if you can make your own brackets i would get the biggest one i could find. Just make sure you hook it up after your stock cooler.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:59 AM

I put this cooler on my truck. I think it's the same as the TRD cooler except the TRD cooler is 3/4 thick and mine is 1 1/2 thick. It's quite a bit bigger than the cooler on my dad's V8 4runner.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/m...estions-93088/
Old 09-04-2007, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by TacoTruck
New to this board! Hello!

I've done the research and I can't seem to find the answer to the original question on this thread. Seems like the originator decided to go with his TRD trans cooler because he already had it but the question never really got answered?

I'm planning to go the SC route later but it makes more sense to start with installing the ancillary parts first (can't hurt and can only help, right?). Hence, my tranny cooler question.

My question:
I've narrowed down my choices to Hayden vs. Tru-Cool. Which one to get? Toss up?

Hayden Pros:
* TRD rebadges this and sells it a theirs. They're at least willing to put their name to the product. So that has to mean something... haha
* Slightly cheaper it seems but not really by much vs. the Tru-Cool

Tru-Cool Pros:
* Self regulating temperature feature. I really like this since I do a fair amount of skiing/snowboarding in the mountains and I can install a larger cooler without worrying about over cooling and minimizes pressure drops.
* Better installation hardware

Not sure if I missed anything... Did I?

If not, I think i'm going with a Tru-Cool but wanted to get one last query to everyone before I hit this "check-out" button

Thanks!
One thing I didn't think about and it would count as a CON for the Tru-Cool. You can see in the pic, that as the fluid heats up, it progresses further into the core. This is a great feature which allows you to get the biggest possible core and only use what you need of it when you need it. However, since some folks have said that it takes up to 3/4 quarts of fluid (I quarts was the volume measurement) that would mean a significant fluctuation of ATF fill levels depending on the temp of the tranny. I'm not sure if a 3/4 swing is really a big deal though...

Unfortunately, I don't think bigger is necessarily better in this case. To me, it's a question of what is most optimum. I'm also going with a 3/4 Inch core vs. a 1 1/2" that was also recommended. It should use less ATF too. Thinner and wider will allow the least amount of air pressure drop into the rad and wider surface area will be better for cooling. Damn.. it's all a balancing act if you're anal like me.

Now, in terms of the core itself, I don't know if the plate & fin is better than the stacked type. Tough to pick one w/o doing the testing.

I'm also getting my rad at http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/Me...=tru-cool-thin

They have been very helpful in answering my questions.

Last edited by TacoTruck; 09-04-2007 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:15 AM

One thing I didn't think about and it would count as a CON for the Tru-Cool. You can see in the pic, that as the fluid heats up, it progresses further into the core. This is a great feature which allows you to get the biggest possible core and only use what you need of it when you need it. However, since some folks have said that it takes up to 3/4 quarts of fluid (I quarts was the volume measurement) that would mean a significant fluctuation of ATF fill levels depending on the temp of the tranny. I'm not sure if a 3/4 swing is really a big deal though...
I don't think this is really an issue. I think the cooler remains full of ATF at all times. I think the diagram refers to relativity and not absolutism. Personally, I noticed that my cooler was filled completely with ATF when both the cooler and ATF were cold.

Also, if the fluid only flowed into the cooler once a certain temp is reached, would't the fluid then remain in the cooler until that temp was once again reached?

Unfortunately, I don't think bigger is necessarily better in this case. To me, it's a question of what is most optimum. I'm also going with a 3/4 Inch core vs. a 1 1/2" that was also recommended. It should use less ATF too. Thinner and wider will allow the least amount of air pressure drop into the rad and wider surface area will be better for cooling. Damn.. it's all a balancing act if you're anal like me.
I not aware of the air pressure drop scenario. Can you elaborate?

I thought that more ATF was better since increasing the amount of ATF will dillute temp and pollutants more than a lesser amount of ATF.

Regards,

Craig
Old 09-04-2007, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by creekfisher
I don't think this is really an issue. I think the cooler remains full of ATF at all times. I think the diagram refers to relativity and not absolutism. Personally, I noticed that my cooler was filled completely with ATF when both the cooler and ATF were cold.

Also, if the fluid only flowed into the cooler once a certain temp is reached, would't the fluid then remain in the cooler until that temp was once again reached?

I not aware of the air pressure drop scenario. Can you elaborate?

I thought that more ATF was better since increasing the amount of ATF will dillute temp and pollutants more than a lesser amount of ATF.

Regards,

Craig
I was off base in my initial thoughts. The core does stay full regardless of the temps. I misunderstood the diagram but after more thought the unit is pressurized and will be full regardless. Ooops!

This was also confirmed by the patient folks at http://www.transmissioncoolers.us also.

Once I get the fittings confirmed i'm going to get this - http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/Me...roduct_Count=5

4544 Tru-Cool LPD Fin & Plate cooler kit 3/8 barbs
# LPD4544 Plate & Fin type 30 plates, 22,000 GVW
9 1/2 x 11 x 3/4 -- 3/8 inch hose barbs
This plate & fin design allows more air to pass through the cooler than the stacked plate type cooler.

$64.50

RE: Air Pressure Drop
I'm not sure i'm articulating this right but i was simply referring to the fact that the amount of air will diminish going to the rad the bigger and thicker the tranny cooler is sitting in front of it. Which is why i'm going with the plate/fin design and a thinner core.

Last edited by TacoTruck; 09-04-2007 at 12:17 PM.