95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Transmission coolers - low temps and bypass thermostats - Tests and results

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 07:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Nelsonmd
Haha, no name calling.

BTW, did you mean to put the red sharpie in the pic, or was that just sweet coincidence?
LOL, I had the pen in the pic for size comparison.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mt_goat
Ok, we are the same page now. I can see your points and you and B&M are probably correct. I should probably also take down that "best" pic unless I am willing to try and prove it. I'd probably waste my time and end up proving myself wrong. But I have had good temps running that way in the past, although now I have both inlet and outlet up (BTW I don't see better or worse temps but its hard to compare since the location changed too).

I too have had a semester of fluids and thermo I & II, BSME here. There was one project I was working on for Dana Corp redesigning a water jacket for a water cooled brake. We had previously done some testing with a clear plexiglass cover over the water jacket to see the flow. So I've been trying to think of a way to do some visual testing with the atf flow. Hmmm....anyway thanks for the info.
To be fair, it really is just B&M that's correct. I learned it from them...

Yeah, I am not surprised that your temps have been fine. I am a BSME too, so this was kind of a fun discussion. I would love to see some visuals of a cooler filling. I would also like to see the flow analysis across temps that B&M has apparently done to see the flow ratio's in the bypass vs the rest of the cooler at low and high temps. Without a temp activated switch like in the inline bypass switches, it becomes a more subtle effect.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Nelsonmd
... I would love to see some visuals of a cooler filling....
Yeah, I'll keep my eye open for something clear with lots of small tubes, but so far I've not thought of anything except making a manifold with lots of thin plastic tubing going out the side and into other manifold, but I"ll need some R&D funding to get that motivated.

One possible variable I've thought of is whether or not the cooler drains into the pan during shutdown and factors with that may be the cooler being higher or lower than the tranny.

Last edited by mt_goat; 03-04-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:53 AM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by quicksilvr
B&M's side mounting requirements seem odd to me. Input on bottom, output on top? I've mounted both my B&M installations the opposite of that (in/top, out/bottom). Just seemed logical to me. Maybe when I upgrade from my 70268 to a 70264 this spring, I'll run the lines that way.
I suppose that makes sense when you consider that gravity's likely more powerful than thermal flow...

Regardless of where tranny cooler is mounted, bottom will ensure that full cooler fills with fluid before exiting as there will always be fluid/system pressure to push the fluid through, it doesn't rely on thermal convection/flow (i.e., heat rising, cold sinking, etc) to move fluid through..
Old 02-08-2016, 11:58 AM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mt_goat
One possible variable I've thought of is whether or not the cooler drains into the pan during shutdown and factors with that may be the cooler being higher or lower than the tranny.
Even if it drains, the amount of fluid in the pan is what matters so no real net negative here. Once the system is on and running, the fluid flow should refill the cooler before any system damage could be done from excess fill in the pan (primarily through bubbling/frothing, I'd think -- not just exposure to fluid, unless it has a fair bit of water mixed in -- why it's important for tranny fluid to be at operating temp to steam off and not just "as cool as possible").

It also makes sense as to why B&M recommends in bottom and out top when mounted sideways. Gravity should keep fluid in place and combat any suction, except perhaps the little bit in the input and/or output hoses that would flow back to the pan via gravity. Not sure how the tranny pump works but it likely has some back flow anti-drainback prevention in it too, so it's likely just the output/return hose that would be a potential issue, but not the input. And if routing through standard radiator cooler on the way back too, it would also help to mitigate any excess backflow too I'd think.