Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Transmission Cooler - Which one / best price??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 10:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ElwayLite
I have a question about knowing if you have a cooler, does the tacoma have a cooler option, because my prerunner has an aditional smaller coil on the front of the radiator with two hoses heading out of it, I can't really tell where they go exactly so I dont know if it is a cooler or not
Do you have air conditioning? That sounds like it's probably the condensor coils.

Also, if you dont do any real towing is the cooler still a smart idea for longevity or is it a waste.
In this case, it's never $50 wasted... Anytime that you can remove heat in a situation like this you'll extend the life of the mechanism.

Do you do any offroading or any other time that you may be spending a lot of time with high revs and a slow forward speed or "abnormal" load on the tranmission? For example, do you drive in snow/heat or other inclimate conditions 3-4 months out of the year? Is a lot of your driving time spent going up and down 3-5% (or more) grades?

If so, then it's a very worthwhile add-on.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ElwayLite
I have a question about knowing if you have a cooler, does the tacoma have a cooler option, because my prerunner has an aditional smaller coil on the front of the radiator with two hoses heading out of it, I can't really tell where they go exactly so I dont know if it is a cooler or not, Also, if you dont do any real towing is the cooler still a smart idea for longevity or is it a waste.

thanks
Towing make the problem worse but by installing a transmission cooler, you make an investment that could save you tons of money. The cooler extends the life of your transmission. The gears shift more smooth with the lower operating temperatures. Nine out of ten transmissions that fail do so because of overheating. Towing or a supercharger can easily et you into the 220-240° range in notime flat.

Here's a little something for you to chew on:

-When your transmission fluid reaches 200 ° it starts breaking down.

-At 240 ° varnishes form and transmission life expectancy is cut in half.

-At 260 ° the transmissions internal seals and rubber parts harden and major damage starts.

-Above 295 ° you transmission start slipping, clutches burn out and carbon forms. With each 20 ° drop in operating temperature, your fluid and equipment life doubles.

Installing a cooler before damage starts and by reducing the transmission fluid temperature by as much as 60 ° can greatly extend the life of your transmission. Installing a transmission cooler can prevent transmission burnout.

......needless to say I have one on my truck too!

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 02-18-2004 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys, it was the A/C cooling I was originally looking at, I got down there and traced the lines, looks like after the nerf bars are installed I'll be ordering a tranny cooler.