Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Transfer Case Seals

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transfer Case Seals

You will have to forgive me if I missed this somewhere, but I’ve been searching for a write up on how to change seals on a transfer case. I have found many on front/rear diffs but limited info on transfer case seals.

Mine has started recently leaking (98 V6 Limited), and I have found some posts that talk about removing the drive train (8 nuts) then the big nut (30mm socket, with the notch that needs to be straightened out) then pull out the seals and replace them, with little details or tricks to do it well/right.

As well I’m looking for more info on the seals, do I need something special to pull/replace them? Do I need a SST to get that 30mm nut, or is it ok to do it in gear? And any other info I may need? I’m sure I’m not the first to have this problem, there must be a write up somewhere, does someone know where?

Old 10-11-2006, 06:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've never seen a write up but what you wrote is basically it. After you remove the driveshaft you'll need to find a way to hold the flange while you loosen the nut. The seals can be pulled with a seal puller, if you've got one, or a screwdriver. When putting the new ones in the important thing is to get them square and to the correct depth, which should be the same as the old one.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:15 AM

I took the wussy way out and just took it to a dealership. They have a 12 month warranty. It was starting to get cold here, so it was worth it for me to have someone else do it.

Maybe you should submit the write-up?
Old 10-11-2006, 08:27 AM

I did the front output seal on mine a few months ago. Its a real easy swap.

Tips/tricks. I used a small crowbar to help hole the drive shaft in place to get the bolts off. If you have access to an impact gun (even an electric one) it will make your life easier. One trick I found is to take an 8mm socket and remove the zerk grease fitting on the drive shaft. That makes it easier to colapse to get the drive shaft off the transfer case.

Then just remove the large bolt on the transfercase flange (impact gun) an pull it off.

Now if you do not want a refreshing shower of stinky gear oil to rain down on you... Drain the transfer case prior to pulling the seal. I pulled mine out by hand and did not use a puller/sst.

Putting the new seal in is not hard, just precoat it with a little gear oil, I had plenty to spare on my shirt at this point. Then use a seal driver or a large socket to tap it into place. A seal driver kit at harbor freight is about $10.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:42 AM

I changed my front and rear pinion seals and the rear output seal on the transfer case on my 89 while I had Monday off. Shouldn't be much different on a newer truck. Just be careful pulling the old seals if you're using a screwdriver. Roger Brown has a nice writeup that pointed me in the right direction. Take a look here and good luck.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:59 PM

Sweet link pokey, that will really help.

Ill try to take some pics and do a writeup on this to try to contribute back to this forum. I will order a tap, seal puller and seal tap from harbour freight, my seal experience with the rear axle and the 3 seals to get it in right tells me to get the tools before its all apart in the driveway. :pat: