Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Toyota Tacoma vs. Nissan Truck.. what makes one better?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Toyota Tacoma vs. Nissan Truck.. what makes one better?

Hi ya, I am in the process of finding a first gen Tacoma after owning several Nissan hardbody trucks. I am only looking for a 4x4 V6 3.4L model.

I have seen many many tacomas 4x4 with unbelievable mileage accumulations ( 250K, 368K!! etc..) and not that many Nissan's since they are harder to find.

I, sometimes am very skeptical about what the majority of people buy and usually tend to gravitate towards the "lesser appreciated" stuff so I am here today to ask you, why Toyota Tacoma? If I ask the local parts guy/ rebuilder/dismantler, he is already biased and would like to make a sale so of course he will say how tough/better etc the Tacoma is over the Nissan.

I ask this here in the hopes of getting DETAILED opinions, not just generalized ideas/bragging. Whats makes these trucks go the distance.. Are they truly tougher? What years Tacoma's are better? what should I stay away from? I heard that Toyota quality has declined quite a bit from the mid to late 1990's. Is that true? Can you give me examples? Honest, non biased and non hating advice/opinions are very much welcomed.

Thanks!!

peter
Old 03-15-2009, 08:55 AM

The 3.4l engine is basically bomb proof and its basically what everyone on this forum would like to have in there truck. These engines are very tough.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As 91 said, the 3.4 is brilliant engine (search for 3.4 problems and you won't find many at all). The transmission comes from a lineage of tried and true transmissions. The driveline is tough (differential design is really strong). The suspension is tough and works well offroad (flexes well- better than torsion bars). The body doesn't rust as easy as previous Toyotas. Huge ground clearance without sacrificing drivability. And finally, its a Toyota, so the electricals and general fit and finish with be a little better than the Nissan.

Check for frame rust- this was an issue.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:19 AM

Thanks Matt

Get a Toyota, you won't regret it! If you don't like it then I'll buy it from you!
Old 03-15-2009, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is very little wrong with a Nissan too, they just don't have the build experience that Toyota does in off road machines.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:57 AM

Thanks everyone, is there any one particular year I should go for? Also, I posted about the better transmission to get. I think I am open to either one but even though I have seen many many automatic trans of this era truck go long long miles, I still wonder about if what I have seen was the exception rather than the rule.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:09 AM

After having friends that have has Nissan trucks they seem to be pretty well built too. However, the Toyota seems to be more rugged and able to handle more.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:32 PM

Go with your gut. Test drive the toyota and the nissan and buy the one that feels right when you are driving down the road. I test drove all makes of trucks before i bought my toyota. I also read some reviews and talked to some truck owners. I bought my tacoma 4 years ago and it still feels right.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:47 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
See here's the problem, your on a toyota site, I dont think anyone here is going to tell you to go with a nissan.
I'd say taco, its a toyota. About the declining quality, the tacomas were build in nummi IIRC, in north america.
While there arent many problems with the taco's every truck has its downsides.
Although the tacoma downsides are hard to see...

Good luck..

Old 03-17-2009, 01:12 PM

Ive had two nissan pickups, and now have two toyotas...a 94 and a 96.

ill tell you why the nissans suck. the frame is flimsy and thin. mine actually cracked and broke on both sides where the rear fender mounted just from rattling around for a while, jump underneath and compare the yota frame and nissan frame, its a joke. one thing I really liked when moving to the yotas was handling around corners. the nissan was so flimsy and light in the rear you could roast it anywhere and would wash out on corners real easy if you were not careful. no traction, i had to always keep krap in the back just to give it some weight. it was way too front heavy making it a lopsided ride. the nissans had a bunch of cheap plastic door handles & tailgate handles that broke too.

also, they are ugly, especially the new ones. they look like big cheap plastic toys.

If a tacoma and a nissan where girls...which one would you really want to date???
Id take the better built one with less maintenance, and no gaudy accessories. plus, you can take the taco anywhere and shell fit in, and you can drive her hard & rough, get down and dirty...and she likes it.

try some taco, youll never go back to that little
Old 03-17-2009, 01:16 PM

lmao, very well put.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:48 PM

Thats interesting that you mention the frame. I was always under the impression that the Nissan frame, being fully boxed was heavier duty.

I dunno, to me the Nissan was always the more heavier built of the two... Not trying to start a war, but SHOW me where I am wrong..

I do like the 3.4L V6 much better than the Nissan and the interior is nicer.. but the frame, axles, suspension, body??
Old 03-17-2009, 05:55 PM

Im trying to remember what year my old nissan was, but it did not have a boxed frame. I think it was an early 90s. I used to have pictures of the fractures but I cant find them. I ended up hammering some u bar in there to fix er. maybe the newer ones have the boxed frame now.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:23 PM
T4L

I've never owned a Nissan so it would be hard for me to compare it to a Tacoma. A few years ago, I purchased an 02 TRD V6 auto 4x4. It had 103,000 miles on it and although it wasn't abused, it wasn't babied either. That truck was amazing. The only 2 things about that truck that ever bothered me were a rattle in the dash and the location of the in-dash clock. Due to some personal issues, I had to part ways with that truck. I intended to keep it forever. I miss it dearly and will eventually get another of the same year. IMO, 02-04 are the best Tacomas in existance.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:48 PM

Why would you say that the 02-04 model years are the best... What was wrong/different than the earlier ones?

i have heard just the opposite, that Toyota quality really took a dive after the 1990's.. I dunno... How did the transmission shift in that one you had? I still can't make up my mind if I want a 5 speed or automatic..
Old 03-17-2009, 10:31 PM

It didnt take a dive so to speak, But they have had more issues then the older trucks were known for.

Especially the 05 + tacomas.

As for 95.5-04, theres really not much to worry about there.

Search a bunch at TTORA.com for common issues of them...I cant really think of one off the top of my head..

Old 03-18-2009, 05:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
start here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrk6vsb77xk
Old 03-18-2009, 07:18 AM

I love that post on YouTube, but I think they fudged the fire bit as the interior didn't look burnt to me.. Funny!!
Old 03-18-2009, 07:23 AM

I've had history with both makes. I had a 93 Nissan std cab 4wd (65K mi at purchase) and now have a 93 Toyota std cab 4wd (130k at purchase) with over 201k now. I drove them the same way in mud, snow, ice, sand (you know, offroad).
When I wheeled the Nissan, I smelled the clutch "burning" at 66k mi and eventually went out at 95k mi. The clutch in the Toyota is original.
I hear the 22RE is underpowered (and it is compared to the 3RZ), but for comparison purposes it beats Nissan's 2.4L .
That was back then, but I've heard stories about Nissan "stepping it up" these days.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:55 AM

ok, wear items are not fair game, who knows how the previous owner drove it before you did.

How did they drive? How do they handle the rough stuff without breaking,
Compare apples to apples.. late 90's vintage lets say..

What about the automatic transmission? Just trying to get specific

How about towing? Fuel mileage with the 3.4L V6?

Quick Reply: Toyota Tacoma vs. Nissan Truck.. what makes one better?