Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Toyota Oil Quality?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 10:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ive got 2 bmw's and am part of the local bmw club. Guys SWEAR by Redline, mostly for the diffs and gearboxes.

me i use whatever is on sale, its getting changed in 3K miles anyway
Old 09-21-2005, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a Subaru Forester that used to cook Castrol 10w40 after only 2000 miles. So I switched to Mobil 1. Never cooked the Mobil 1 and the engine smelled cooler afterward. Later my brother-in-law who owned a Subaru dealership told me that was a good move as the subaru runs a very tight piston to cylinder wall clearance. I've used Mobil 1 ever since in all our cars. I use Redline in the transmissions and axles and it works very well.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
I use European oils only.. Motorex (Swiss) or Repsol (Spain). BMW uses a form on Castrol that is German. Either way, I believe Auto standards in Europe are much stringent then here, so if it's 100% synthetic and made across the Atlantic I'll use it. Lately it's been Motorex though.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:47 PM

Toyota's otor oil is API SL rated. Enough said. Sure synthetics are better oils. But, it will do its job as it was intended to do just as good as any other conventional SL rated oil. Change it at 3000 miles. You're only wasting good oil if you dump it early.

BTW. All API certified oils are compatible with eachother. That being said, almost all synthetic and conventional oils are now API certified. Quit listening to all the snake oil voodoo spooks that say your engine will blow up if you switch back to conventional and/or mix synthetic and conventional. It really does not matter. All these silly beliefs are false. Anyone still believing this bull needs to get off your high horse of synthetic oil and come back to reality. The reality that involves changing your oil every 3 months or 3000 miles. Want an engine to last? Change your oil and change it often.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:23 PM

Mike - you bring up some good points.

Changing your oil often is very important. But one of the reasons I like synthetic, and I don't think this is hearsay is because I know it runs cooler. The 3.0 is an engine that isn't no stranger to heat. It seems that the majority of major problems with this engine are head/block warpage and cracked heads, probably due to heat. I keep my cooling system in top shape and having good quality synthetic oil can only help matters. I can only speculate that things like headers (which I'm not going to do - I figure too costly for the gains) & exhaust (which I will get around to doing) will only help move even more heat, and move it more efficiently thus keeping the engine even cooler. And in the long run making this engine run just a little cooler and last longer.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:28 PM

API SERVICE SITE
Old 09-28-2005, 03:17 PM

Oil threads always pop up. Amsoil has a weird way of advertising and marketing their products. Amsoil usually markets with small one person rep's, but lately have been moving up to retail chains. I guess it's the ol' mighty profit speaking now.I work at a national chain auto parts store and we just started carrying Amsoil. I don't think you should believe some of the things that Amsoil claims, like one a year oil changes, and 500,000 mile gear oils. Some of their claims are just too funny. Syn. oils are good, but they are not super duper future crazy oil. Syn. oils will break down, not as fast as dino oil though. Drive with syn. oil for 10,000 and look at it, it will probably be black or brown. Oil breaks down, cuz motor combustion is very harsh, and syn. are made to just last a bit longer. Take this with a grain of salt. My ol' 400+ hp turbo Civic smoke like crazy when I jumped on the Amsoil hype from Mobil 1. I thought I messed up the motor somehow, but I changed the oil back to Mobil 1 and the thing didn't smoke anymore. I was a bit skeptical so next oil change I switched to Amsoil again, same thing smoking like crazy, and oil burning off quickier than usual. Next oil change Mobil 1 and no more smake or burning oil. Some of you might think that I had bad rings, but trust me I had great compression in every cylinder, I checked. Remember it's the company that never advertises hypes or claims, that is always the loudest winner.