11.54%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Tow straps

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 09:25 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
So what it boils down to it is safer to spend the $30 or more and get a proper receiver hitch shackle setup like I run.
Old 04-19-2003, 01:30 PM
CTB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys

Do you think something like this would be sufficient for a towing strap, or should I look for something with more strength, like this one ?

Thanks for the tips - I hope to order a tow strap soon.
Old 04-19-2003, 01:43 PM
DSP

CTB...

That first one just looks like it'll break....

If I've learned one thing from this thread it is...
In a lot of cases you are not just putting the weight of the vehicle on the strap, depending on the situation you could tug at 5x that amount.
For an extra 10-15 bucks...
Seems to me it is worth the piece of mind to have the beefier strap!

-Dave

:beaver:

Just make sure the beavers don't get it
Old 04-19-2003, 01:44 PM

I would go for the 2" wide...it's a good match for vehicles that are this weight. The 1.75" is probably better for a Wrangler or a Zuk.

...and a 3" is best for a full-size.

The key is to get some stretch, that will allow the pulling-truck to get a running start.

Jim
Old 04-19-2003, 01:46 PM
CTB

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the comments. Ya, this isn't something I want to get cheap with. I just don't have much experience with recovery stuff, so I was looking for comments from people who know more than I do. Thanks again-

CTB
Old 04-20-2003, 05:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by CTB
Hey Dave,

Thanks for the comments. Ya, this isn't something I want to get cheap with. I just don't have much experience with recovery stuff, so I was looking for comments from people who know more than I do. Thanks again-

CTB
Buy the heaviest duty strap that you can afford. This is a piece of equipment that you probably can't over do. Plus, they are not that expensive.
Old 04-20-2003, 06:08 AM

"Thanks for the comments. Ya, this isn't something I want to get cheap with. I just don't have much experience with recovery stuff, so I was looking for comments from people who know more than I do. Thanks again-

CTB "

If you know enough to ask for help and advice, then you already know more than 1/2 the wheelers out there!
Old 04-20-2003, 08:20 AM

This was an excellent question and I certainly learned something new. I'm currently having shackle hangers made up and I'm going to replace all the tie-down holes w/shackle hangers!

Al
Old 04-20-2003, 10:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by jruz
Haha...when are you not the "Safetly Guy". But that's a good thing, no sense in there being an accident when there doesn't have to be one...

Jim
heheheh I guess I would rather have a reputation for keeping people safe than to have one as the guy who let someone get hurt ANY day!
Old 04-20-2003, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

I also have to admit that I learned something by this thread. I will be adding shackle type recovery points to my runner and purchasing non-hook type recovery straps, thanks!
Old 04-21-2003, 09:07 AM

What should one have in a recovery kit? A complete list would be super. I know what TJM and others sell as a recovery kit, but what is the "field tested and budget approved" kit? Is Wall-Mart recovery gear a bad idea? I would think so, but it is sooo cheap...I mean, I don't really need 20,000lb tensile strength....
Old 04-21-2003, 10:49 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

It's hard to beat the winch kits that come from Warn, and other companies.
Even if you don't have a winch, they have good stuff all grouped together.

Medium-Duty Winching Accessory Kit. Designed for winch capacities to X8000 with 5/16" (8mm) wire rope. Kit includes: 16,000 lbls/7258 kgs capacity snatch block, 2" x 8' (5cm x 2.4m) tree trunk protector, 1 clevis/D-shackle, cotton/leather gloves, 10' of 5/16" (3m of 8mm) grade 7 choker chain with hooks, Red or camouflage Cordura® nylon soft case. PN 25300 Kit with red bag, PN 37880 Kit with camouflage bag
I have the above kit.

Add a 2"x20' or 2"x30' snatch strap, tire plug kit, and air source, and you will feel much safer.
There are vendor's in the Vendor Links section here that have recovery straps and shackles.

I would not skimp and buy something to small for the job, or that is part of a "package deal" that is not up to snuff.
You get what you pay for in recovery gear.

But if you want to throw something together without getting the extra stuff as in the Warn kit, I'd get the following:

1. A good snatch strap with sewn ends and preferably indicators that tell when it's time to replace the strap.
http://www.central4wd.com/store/defa...p?ParentID=633
Here's one for $21.77
http://www.central4wd.com/store/itemdetail.asp?ID=1479

2. A pair or more of D ring shackles.
http://www.central4wd.com/store/itemdetail.asp?ID=3259

3. A hitch receiver shackle.
http://www.central4wd.com/store/itemdetail.asp?ID=3258

4. Good gloves to work with.
Their is a glove vendor in the links section too that makes killer gloves.

And if you look at the bottom of the 1st page that the Warn kit above takes you too, you will see this complete recovery kit with bag.

Vehicle Recovery Kit. Designed to aid in the recovery of a vehicle. Kit includes: Heavy duty receiver bracket with hitch pin, 2 clevis/D-shackles, cotton/leather gloves, 3" x 30' (8cm x 9m) standard recovery strap and red Cordura® nylon soft case. PN 34024
The above looks like a good packaged deal.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:09 PM

Well I can do without a special bag or whatever, but I should've checked the list for that stuff to get an idea of what I may need. I take it the basics are:

tow strap
pull chain
2 clevis'
1 hitch clevis ma-bob
1 pair good gloves

Okay so how do you attach the tow strap to the d-ring things? Do you just tie it on there? what is the snatch block for? Would I need different things if I had a winch that could be used front and rear??? wouldn't the tow straps and stuff be redundant if I had a winch???
Old 04-21-2003, 12:36 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

You would not use the chain, that is for a winch if you are pulling logs and stuff on property.
At least that is what I have used my chain for.

The snatch 'em straps you unscrew the shackle pin and put the pin through the loop on the strap, then screw the pin back in again.

Snatch block is only for use with a winch line to double your line back to your rig, and increase the pulling power by double.

See this

scanned picture that was included with my winch.
It shows a snatch block in operation.

Also the pic will show more uses of the snatch block as in moving a fallen tree out of the way 2nd picture down on the right column.

You'd still want a snatch 'em strap even if you have a winch.
Might not always be able to hook it up in a situation.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:55 PM

this is what happened to my brother's jeep with someone pulling him out with a tow strap. Notice the Shattered window also had 2 golf ball size dents .

Old 04-22-2003, 08:56 PM
Contributing Member

geeeze

im trashing my hooks as soon as i get home.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

These are on E-bay now for $15.95 each, any feedback?Straps on E-bay
Old 04-23-2003, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Albuquerque Jim
These are on E-bay now for $15.95 each, any feedback?Straps on E-bay
See the red thread running down the middle of that strap? That is a TOW strap not a RECOVERY strap. That thread is designed to be disturbed if the strap is placed under a load that is greater than the strap is rated for. That way you know it has been stressed and should be retired from service.

Those would be great straps for towing a Toyota around, plenty of capacity, but if you are looking for a strap to do off-road recoveries, you want a true recovery strap. A true recovery strap is designed to stretch to lessen the impact of the yank and to use some simple physics to actually increase the recovery power. A more verbose example of this principle is described at; http://www.geocities.com/~landroverp...ery_Straps.htm

Does that help to clarify the difference?

This is also the reason that bigger is not necesarily better in recovery straps. If the strap is too wide, you may not have enough weight in a smaller vehicle to make use of the stretch, so it effectively becomes a static TOW strap. 2.5" is commonly considered to be correct for a Toyota sized rig, less for an ATV and 3" or wider for full sized rigs. I carry a 20' and a 30' length, but if you were to get just one, I would recommend a 2.5" by 30' snatch/recovery strap with some stretch to it. If it's got a different colored thread running down it, it's likely a TOW strap

Last edited by WATRD; 04-23-2003 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:09 PM
Contributing Member

Thank you, I am a rock climber so I clearly understand the concept of static v.s. dynamic. I am new to off roading so I didn't realize it applied here. Thank you!
Old 04-23-2003, 07:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Albuquerque Jim
Thank you, I am a rock climber so I clearly understand the concept of static v.s. dynamic. I am new to off roading so I didn't realize it applied here. Thank you!
Perfect then! Just think of what would happen to you if you fell while climbing on a static line as opposed to a fall when climbing on a dynamic line and it will all fall into place and become crystal clear.

I come from a rock climbing background, but started to "get the fear", so I transisioned to glacier travel and crevass descent/ascent so I can say that your analogy is a perfect one and translates well. But I never thought of putting it in those terms before Good call!

Quick Reply: Tow straps