Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tools for Deckplate Mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 05:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DDUA if you are still entertaining the idea of the deck plate mod, I would say go for it. Sure its a little time and effort, but I really liked the results of mine. I dont know how anyone else has tested it, but last summer I had an hour and 45 min drive to work and back so I tested it multiple times on and off, to and from. Wasnt anything major, but I did get a trend of .4-.5 mpg better with the deck plate off. Its all windy mountain roads with ups and downs so I made sure to test it going both directions. It may very well just be my 4runner is magically special or something, but thats the data I gathered with the same type of gas all the time, same trip all the time and same speed all the time. Take it for what its worth, like they were saying, not all vehicles will respond the same, but I really enjoy the sound if nothing else.

Last edited by Wazioc; 08-09-2007 at 05:29 AM.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

Edit: somehow I posted twice. See next post...

Last edited by Tacoclimber; 08-09-2007 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Hilux Surf Limited
Seriously - Is there a site where you can buy the real TRD Decals like the ones on your Tacoma? I think they look cool and was entertaining a supercharger in the near future.

Thanks in advance.
OEM ones can be found at the stealership for lots of money, or on ebay for considerably less. I actually replaced my OEM ones with ones I got on ebay, as my dad, who bought it new in 03, had them taken off. When I bought the truck from him, I wanted the TRD on there and I found some on ebay. So far they look excellent and they've been on there for at least three years. And they've taken some abuse from bushes, too...

Here's an example of what you can find:
TRD Decals

Old 08-09-2007, 12:07 PM

will do it

I will def. do the deckplate... maybe around next week after my exam. For the last 2 years, My bro is the one using the 4runner and he never took care of it. So my plan for the break is ISR, Deckplate, Seafoam, clean IAC and Throttle body, Spark Plug, fix the front bumper (dent), buy new tire, and.... maybe I should stop here... too much stuff to do.

Originally Posted by Wazioc
DDUA if you are still entertaining the idea of the deck plate mod, I would say go for it. Sure its a little time and effort, but I really liked the results of mine. I dont know how anyone else has tested it, but last summer I had an hour and 45 min drive to work and back so I tested it multiple times on and off, to and from. Wasnt anything major, but I did get a trend of .4-.5 mpg better with the deck plate off. Its all windy mountain roads with ups and downs so I made sure to test it going both directions. It may very well just be my 4runner is magically special or something, but thats the data I gathered with the same type of gas all the time, same trip all the time and same speed all the time. Take it for what its worth, like they were saying, not all vehicles will respond the same, but I really enjoy the sound if nothing else.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:13 PM

ddua, Can you loan me a couple of grand to work on my truck?! ,Lol. Sounds like you are going to have some fun. Hope you have a garage, it's way to hot outside here. Have a good one and show us some pics when your done, Mike
Old 08-09-2007, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tacoclimber
OEM ones can be found at the stealership for lots of money, or on ebay for considerably less. I actually replaced my OEM ones with ones I got on ebay, as my dad, who bought it new in 03, had them taken off. When I bought the truck from him, I wanted the TRD on there and I found some on ebay. So far they look excellent and they've been on there for at least three years. And they've taken some abuse from bushes, too...

Here's an example of what you can find:
TRD Decals

Thank you very much, I am looking into them now. I appreciate the link.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:56 PM

If I my add my two cents to all of this:

Any thing you to do increase the breathing of the engine WILL yield you HP, BOTTOM LINE.

SO, the 4-8 HP gain with the deck plate is not a lot, but for 10 bucks, you beat I will be doing it!

Add in other supporting mods, such as elbow mod, if desirable, the silencer mod, and a full header back exhaust, and you are talking I would GUESS, a good 8-15. maybe more HP.

Again, anything you do do increase the breathing ability of the engine WILL YIELD YOU RESULTS. And also again, it may not be a lot, but every little bit counts.

I mod for the joy, as well as for the results. And like someone else mentioned, for 10 bucks compared to 300ish for a CAI, I will take the 10 bucks any day and you still get about the same performance gain with the deckplate vs the CAI
Old 08-09-2007, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you want to feel 4 hp difference drive your truck twice a year once in the winter and once in the middle of summer. and it is free
Old 08-10-2007, 06:13 AM

jentzschman, Good point and if it makes a person feel better and they believe it really makes a difference then they should go for it by all means. Part of the good thing about some of these mods is that they are fun to do and they give us a reason to go play with our trucks,Lol.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:59 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ddua
Does not harm your engine...
RESEARCH it until your eyes bleed. You WILL discover more harmful side effects than good.

I really wish i would of started a compiled list & links of all the hours of researsh i did. I.E. Threads and random posts about "lost MPG", "lost power", "engine hesitation", and even "CEL".

I would have a huge amount of info starting from around '05 until TODAY.

Save your $10 and your engine from potential trouble down the road.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:05 AM

Rocket, I can honestly say I have never had any harm come from the Deck Plate mod or even heard of anyone who has. How does it hurt the engine or anything else ? As long as the filter is in place and kept clean nothing has changed but the air flow and that's not really as much as some people believe. Mike
Old 08-11-2007, 03:18 AM
Contributing Member

Bear, many have had no issues....all i'm saying is if you research the countless threads and posts, you'd find many who have had some kind of problem.

You also have a 2.7..darn good engine but little to go by concerning this mod.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:46 AM

so loud

I realized all the harms i.e. power lose, loss mpg, and CEL. I just think being in So Cal (rarely rain) and never off-roading will make me safer to do the deckplate. Also, it is reversible (as in put the cover on) and thats why I am doing it.

Anyway, I did the ISR, remove elbow, and Deckplate yesterday and the intake sound is so LOUD esp. when you getting on the freeway when you have to step on it.
Personally, I can't take the noise ahahaha but if it yield better mpg then maybe I stick with it.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:56 PM

rocket, "but little to go by concerning this mod."
What gave you that idea or why would you even make such a statement. Please elaborate, I would like to know your answer in detail,Lol. Mike
Old 08-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Contributing Member

Just the fact they are two very different engines and ALL the issues i've read have come from 3.4 owners.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:47 AM

Oh, ...OK. There were a few people who made post saying that the mod made there engine run worse and so on but none of it was founded to be true by the majority who did this mode with the same engines. I'm not saying that it's not possible but I don't believe adding a little air to help the engine breath would be a bad thing for any engine unless it just wasn't tuned right to begin with.
Many of us also believed that you had to reset the computer every time you took off the plate or replaced it and that never changed a thing and it was not necessary. As much time as I spent off and on road it was a good thing because I would be setting and resetting all day. The biggest thing I found to help was to keep the filter clean and the sensor. Mike
Old 08-14-2007, 06:27 PM

Been doing research on doing the deckplate mod on my T100 and had to add my 2 cents to this disscussion. I did this mod on my 03 Taco and didn't regret it. Used a jigsaw and it took a couple of hours to do the complete job. Since I rarely do deep water crossings, I never actually but the cap back in and never had any problems with water.

If you look at the elbow in the Tacoma, not only does it have a very sharp turn as in exits the fender, it also has a fairly small opening to begin with. Even TRD has you remove the elbow if you install the 7th injector for the TRD supercharger. Will it make a big difference on a non-supercharged engine, probably not! But even if it increases you gas mileage by 1%, it will pay for itself in less than 10K miles.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:50 AM

Just a suggestion here. It's a good idea to use some GOOP and a piece of screen to cover the opening left by the elbow removed inside the box. Just cut a piece to fit about an 1" bigger than the opening and then smear some GOOP on the inside edge and apply the screen. Helps keep the Mice and other critters out of the box. I also used a piece of 1/4" hardware screen and made a funnel out of it and shoved it in the hole in the fender right to where it starts to make a turn in the finder wall . The Chip Monks and Mice can build a nest over night or store a bunch of little pieces of nuts and leaves in the box.
If you do the elbow mod right you can snap it back in or out anytime you want and the screen will stay.
I let my Grandsons drive it one day and they had a ball running through a big mud puddle as fast as they could and the mud and water was flying over the truck. It quit running because they had soaked the air cleaner because the elbow and deck plate were not on. That's just one way of screwing things up off road without the deck plate not on. Mike
Old 08-15-2007, 11:09 AM

I did the deckplate mod to my gas tank. The truck is lighter now.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by deathrunner
I did the deckplate mod to my gas tank. The truck is lighter now.

lol

Quick Reply: Tools for Deckplate Mod