Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

TJM or ARB Help me decide

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 04:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TJM or ARB Help me decide

I want a TJM or ARB bull bar bumper for my 89 xcab, but can't decide on which one to get. Is one better than the other? I personally like the looks of the ARB a little better, but I'd like to get the the stonger of the two. Any difference between them?
Old 01-18-2005, 04:38 AM

Urban legend is that the ARBs are stronger - especially when winching. I'm not sure I believe it though. IMO, both are great bumpers... consider cost, looks, and availbility, go from there.

How are they priced? Is one significantly more than the other? Don't forget about shipping...
You said you like the looks of the ARB better, so that covers the looks part.
Are both easy to get (i.e. not back ordered)?
Old 01-18-2005, 04:55 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another thing to consider is that the TJM's are 3-piece (the sides bolt on) and the ARB is one-piece. That also means that if you hit the ARB on the side hard enough to damage it, then you must replace the whole thing. However, as a counter to that, if you hit an ARB from the side hard enough to damage it, then you'll also have more to worry about like a bent frame, etc. They're that tough. TJM's are tough as well.

Either way, you can't go wrong. ARB's will usually cost a little more, but if that's what you like better, then spend a few more bucks and get what you want.

Also, I've seen a few ARB's for older rigs for sale in the Classifieds section lately...

This one's in WA state, but only $400:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&highlight=arb
Old 01-18-2005, 04:56 AM

hey thanks for the Urban Legend!
I'm looking at the TJM T13 vs. the ARB (don't know the model #) but it looks like the T13.
The prices i've found, are within like $25 of each other......
My drive home from work, in the midnight hour, goes though/past some large natural land preserves. For those that know Jersey, one is Colliers Mills, the other is Assunpink. There are deer everywhere at that hour, and I'd like the one that stands the better chance against Bambi. I did run one over a few weeks ago, but it was small (about waist high), and just went right under my truck! Thump #1 front right tire, thump #2 right rear. There was no damage to my vehicle, I didn't even stop.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:55 AM
Contributing Member

A comment was made a few days ago about how the ARB and TJM stick out so far. The ARB bull bar does stick out a bit, comapred to the factory bumper. I just installed a TJM or my wife's SR5 and I love it. Don't get me wrong the bull bar is bad a$$, but for the money the TJM is sweet. One thing though, is the TJM doesn't stick out nearly as far as the ARB. Something to keep in mind
Old 01-18-2005, 06:10 AM
Banned

the arb bull bar and the tjm stick out about the same. the arb sahara bar sticks out farther than both of the other two, but you don't have to worry about a sahara bar since you're looking for something for a 89.

Last edited by bamachem; 01-18-2005 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:19 AM

i did a seach for 'roo bars, and some of the austrailian bumpers really stick out! i don't mind how far they stick out, i mainly stay on the street. My wheelin' is limited to some mild trail/fire roads or go on the beach.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:37 AM
Banned

here's a couple of comparison pics for ya...

http://4rnr.net/arbs2.jpg
http://4rnr.net/red-black-3.jpg

Last edited by bamachem; 01-18-2005 at 06:40 AM.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:43 AM
Contributing Member

I have an ARB and love it. Here's where I got it from too. www.4x4connection.com They're right down in Northern VA so I doesn't take long to get things they have in stock up here. They also running sale on both TJM and ARB and shipping is pretty cheap comparativly. You'll be happy with either one.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by flyAddict
I have an ARB and love it. Here's where I got it from too. www.4x4connection.com They're right down in Northern VA so I doesn't take long to get things they have in stock up here. They also running sale on both TJM and ARB and shipping is pretty cheap comparativly. You'll be happy with either one.
that's where my ARB/OME stuff came from. Good prices, great service
Old 01-18-2005, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg'sToy
I want a TJM or ARB bull bar bumper for my 89 xcab, but can't decide on which one to get. Is one better than the other? I personally like the looks of the ARB a little better, but I'd like to get the the stonger of the two. Any difference between them?
Let me start off saying I have installed a TJM T-17 on my truck but I have also installed a ARB bullbar on a friend's 4runner.

The ARB is stronger due mainly to it's all one piece design (the bullbar and mounting bracket are all one piece). The one piece design also means that the ARB has no adjustment for height, so if a small bodylift is in the plans you will be stuck with the extra gap with the ARB, with some fairly easy mods you can adjust the TJM for a 1 inch bodylift with no extra gap (with bullbars you will also have the headlights too high for the hoops with a bodylift).

My biggest gripe with the TJM is those bolt-on ends (wings) to the bumper and the ugly trim they use to fill the gap (I have welded mine on now). But the true weakness comes from the union between the TJM bullbar (bumper) and the mount that holds it to the frame. But this weakness can be made better with stronger bolts. I recommend replacing the grade 5 bolts that TJM sends you to hold the bumper to the mount with grade 8 bolts, nylock nuts and star washers and torque the hell of them. (Tip) Use a 1/2" drive u-joint and 1/2" drive extensions through the turn signal opening to get maximum torque while a buddy holds a wrench against the frame. The star washers will grip and help keep the bumper from slipping in the adjustment slots. Those bolts must be tight enough to prevent slipping of the bumper/mount union. This is especially true if you are winching or in an accident. The bumper itself completes the "box" of support around the mount and if the bumper/mount union slips the mount could bend or twist. With the ARB bulbar they have welded the whole thing together instead of using bolts so it can’t slip.

With the TJM I also recommend using a snatch block back to your factory tow hook for any hard winching, especially at an angle. That will cut the stresses in half on the bumper and mount.

One more disadvantage with some models of ARB bullbars they come with mounting for roller fairleads welded to the bumper. If you are planning on using a synthetic winch line (highly recommended) you don’t want a roller fairlead because the line can get pinched in the rollers. So with those models of ARBs you will have a roller fairlead mounting that you don’t want.

One more advantage to the TJM is a slightly better approach angle, although some will probably disagree with that.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:04 AM

thanks for the replies guys!
looks like i'm gonna go with the ARB- i like the way they look, and the one piece design is a plus for my situation too. the approach angle is not really a concern (at this point in time) either... they both seem like excellent products!