95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Taurus Fan Mod, Snowball Effects Realized

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 12:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Taurus Fan Mod, Snowball Effects Realized

*Pebble is tossed down a snowy slope*

SO, I decided I was bored and needed something to do, and I read the thread about installing a Taurus electric fan with variable controller from DC Controls. I liked the idea, though I might save some horsepower or at least have a reallly cool fan...

*Pebble gets some snow on it*

So I installed it all. It took some love, but it's all beautiful. I highly recommend the controller, an excellent product which is PERFECT for an off road applcation. I mounted the fan to a "new" junkyard radiator with some custom aluminum bracketry and all, it fits perfectly. Pics to come in a bit, I haven't gotten around to it yet...

*Now a medium sized snowball rolling briskly*

Anyway I new I needed a new radiator for some time, I was just putting it off, so I got one since everything would be apart anyway. Then, I decide since everything is apart replace all the belts and what not, piece of cake (this project has already gone far and above the "projected" price I was thinking, but ok). With the fan installed, everything works beautifully- temp guage goes right under halfway and sticks, AC on or off, maybe a tiny wobble here and there.

*Large snow-boulder, smashes a few money trees*

So I have driven it around for a little bit and I get in, try starting the car and CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK... Battery's dead So I get a jump and drive home, and I can see every time I stop at a light, the battery warning light comes up and the voltage guage drops below the midway mark. I rev the engine, and the battery light turns off as long as the RPMS are up, and the voltage goes up to about half.

*AVALANCHE*

It's pretty obvious what's happening here, my alternator can't take it anymore and said "I quit!" SO, now I need a new alternator, possibly with an optima to go with it, and I'm thinking the MR2 alternator (can anyone confirm, is it 100amp or 170amp?) and I found a great writeup on how to install it on a 3.0 and all... SO, now I need to find one of these alternators FAST (this weekend) and CHEAP (under $150). Will auto parts stores have them that cheap, or are junkyards my only chance?

Anyway,

Fan Writeup and a dream- $Free
Taurus Fan $50
Variable Controller $115

Belts and Hoses $65
Radiator $125
Alternator $100 (I hope)
Battery $100 (Optima Red Top)

Finding out one $165 upgrade added around $400 of additional upgrades-
PRICELESS

This is the coolest fan ever!

Last edited by mastacox; 07-23-2005 at 12:52 AM.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:57 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL..for some reason i found this post both funny and amuzing at 5:01 in the AM. damn, i hate insomnia! Good Luck!
Old 07-23-2005, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Did you have the fan wired run at the slow or high speed?
I found low speed drew 10 amps and high drew 30 which is a bit much for the stock alternator.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Marc
Did you have the fan wired run at the slow or high speed?
I found low speed drew 10 amps and high drew 30 which is a bit much for the stock alternator.
hi speed, but it's a variable conroller which means it only runs the fan as fast as is needed to maintain temperature...

Plus, it's HOT in Tucson right now, especially for around town driving.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the MR2 alt. is 100amps, but I do realize someone made a thread saying it was "good for 170 amps" and even I believed it.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:12 AM
Banned

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Hope you find what you need at the right price. I have to ask, did going to an electric fan improve your vehicles performance? I've always heard E fans help save HP, but never heard any confirmations from people who have tried it.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:29 AM
Banned

The optima could be your problem... I have seen those cause problems on many factory alternators. The best battery you can get is a Duralast Gold. About the only "best you can get" item at AutoZone. The Optima batteries are the ones that stores sell to make money... they turn a good profit. But hey, they look cool, right?

HTH
Old 07-23-2005, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Platypus1
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Hope you find what you need at the right price. I have to ask, did going to an electric fan improve your vehicles performance? I've always heard E fans help save HP, but never heard any confirmations from people who have tried it.
The gain as close as I can figure on my truck was about 7.5 RWHP and I gained approx. 1.5 MPG at cruising speeds.

Dave
Old 07-23-2005, 11:25 AM

Wheres the writeup for installing a MR2 alt. on a 3.0?
Old 07-23-2005, 11:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TRDOLMAN
The gain as close as I can figure on my truck was about 7.5 RWHP and I gained approx. 1.5 MPG at cruising speeds.

Dave
Wow thats actually a pretty significant increase for just swapping fans. I may have to look into my own electric fan!
Old 07-23-2005, 11:51 AM

Wow thats actually a pretty significant increase for just swapping fans. I may have to look into my own electric fan!
That's the increase at peak HP, or in other words near the engine's red line. 1-2RWHP is already optimistic for normal driving under 2200RPM or so.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:51 AM

Stay away from Flexalite.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f105/flexalite-black-magic-electric-fan-flx-165-a-63155/
Old 07-23-2005, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

TRunner- I don't HAVE an Optima yet, I'm going to get one. I just have a 4-year old regular old battery, so it needs to be changed anyway.

Originally Posted by Adam F
Wheres the writeup for installing a MR2 alt. on a 3.0?
This writeup makes it really easy (just buy an extra lower bracket and weld some extra length on it...you'll see.)

Off-Road.com Write-up

As for can I feel a difference in power?

No, my "butt-o-meter" cannot feel much of a difference, except in maybe the upper end. But, I'm glad I did the fan because it DOES make my AC a LOT colder, since the condenser is getting a lot more air through it. This alone, in the Tucson heat, is worth it in my opinion.

I'm going to install the "Linear Indicator" that DC Controls sells (an LED that goes from green to yellow to red), so I can keep tabs on how fast the fan is having to go to keep up. My guess is a little over 50% most of the time, for stop-and-go. I want to be able to keep an eye on such things since most of my offroading is in desert and dune heat, so I want to know if there is a problem before something really bad happens.

Oh yeah, I ordered the MR2 alternator from Checker, $170 + 50 core, not bad for a 100 amper... I'll let you know how the install goes. This way my lights won't dim at idle either (which they have been doing lately, but my idle is like 500 rpms so...)
Old 07-23-2005, 03:09 PM

I have been using optima batteries since 97 and never had an alternator problem.I have two on my 02 with a 9000lb winch and stock alternator.Never a problem.I also use a power inverter to run a small aircompressor.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:12 PM
Banned

good on the install... too bad about the alternator.

i love my fan and controller. one of the better mods in the $150 range...
Old 07-23-2005, 04:21 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Which fan did you get...the 1 or 2 speed Taurus fan?

This is on my "must do" mod list for the future.

Hurry up and find me a fan bamachem!

Old 07-23-2005, 05:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 4RUNR
That's the increase at peak HP, or in other words near the engine's red line. 1-2RWHP is already optimistic for normal driving under 2200RPM or so.
the origional poster has a 3vze or 22re, in either case I can garuntee you the rpms will be hitting 3000 very easily in normal driving.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Which fan did you get...the 1 or 2 speed Taurus fan?

This is on my "must do" mod list for the future.

Hurry up and find me a fan bamachem!

It's a 2-speed, but I only hooked up the high speed circuit to the controller, since it can modulate the speed.

I found it at a junk yard using www.car-parts.com, for about $50.00

Just look for a 1992 Ford Taurus Radiator/Condensor Cooling Fan, for the 3.8l V-6 (non-SHO), and select your area. It's easy!
Old 07-24-2005, 01:47 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mastacox
It's a 2-speed, but I only hooked up the high speed circuit to the controller, since it can modulate the speed.

I found it at a junk yard using www.car-parts.com, for about $50.00

Just look for a 1992 Ford Taurus Radiator/Condensor Cooling Fan, for the 3.8l V-6 (non-SHO), and select your area. It's easy!
Fan Assembly, SHO
Motor Only, (exc SHO), 6-183 (3.0L)
Motor Only, (exc SHO), 6-232 (3.8L)
Fan Assembly, exc. SHO; 6-183 (3.0L)
Fan Assembly, exc. SHO; 6-232 (3.8L)

the last option is the one?

Old 07-24-2005, 03:27 PM
Banned

yup...

that or a volvo like i got...

Quick Reply: Taurus Fan Mod, Snowball Effects Realized