Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Taurus fan intall today

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 03:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taurus fan install today

I decided to do the Taurus fan install on my 2nd Gen 4Runner with the 3.slow. I will take pics and will be happy to post them if any are interested.

Peace!
Reepicheep
Old 09-20-2003, 03:50 AM

Good luck! I'm going to be doing it on my 1997 with the 3.4 liter soon.

Chris
Old 09-22-2003, 09:05 AM

Hmmm... it appears that I need to do some work on my spelling (intall??! ).

Anyhoo, The Taurus fan mod was not an easy install, but it was not a PITA (unlike my PCV that I replaced at the same time). Sorry, I did not take any pictures... I couldn't find my digital camera (turns out that it was in the armrest storage area the whole time... grrrr!:pat: ).

I installed the fan with the top edge of the fan shroud about 1/8th of an inch below the small lip that frames out the cooling vanes. By putting it there, I was able to use the two stock mounting holes (on the driver's side of radiator) and bolts that held the OEM fan shroud to the radiator. I did this because part of me just had a bad emotional reaction to poking the cylindrical zip ties through the radiator. I used 2 of the cylindrical zip ties secure the passenger side of the Taurus fan/shroud.

When I went to put the radiator back in, I found that if I had not mounted the fan as I did, the shroud would have been in the way of some of the a/c lines. Dumb luck that I avoided this problem.

As far as wiring goes, do not try to run the high speed setting of the fan. I found out through trial/error (and a brief, yet informative consult with Seafarinman and Robinhood) that the high speed side just draws too much juice. I went through two 25amp fuses and one 30amp before common sense took hold and I decided to consult the oracles here at the board.

I used the Hayden fixed temp fan controller module. The adjustable just sounded like it would add too many variables into the mix... and my primitive caveman mind was already approching its limits (not to mention my wallet... the fixed controller was $40 less than the variable one). I ran the yellow wire (which needed to run to a constant 12v source to properly trip the relay) to the EFI fuse and "piggy-backed" it on. The Hayden unit also has a green wire to run to the a/c compressor clutch. Despite good directions from Seafarinman, I couldn't find the compressor clutch wire. So I "piggy-backed" into the solenoid (meaning low voltage) side of the condenser fan relay.

All of the wiring seems to be working like a charm. Nothing gets hot and no fuses are blowing. The Taurus fan comes on like clockwork when my temp guage hits the halfway point and it comes on when the a/c is engaged. My only concern is that the fan keeps running after the engine is turned off... but it only runs for about a minute. If running after shutdown becomes a problem (meaning - my battery dies) I will try to hook the yellow wire into the ignition circuit like I believe Seafarinman did.

As far as any improvement in performance, I cannot give any definitive answer because I replaced my PCV valve and the fuel filter at the same time. Overall, I believe that the engine is running more freely and I can tell a distinct difference in how my 4runner takes hills, etc... it doesn't seem to downshift as much as it did. I can say that even though I have only run half a tank of gas through it so far, I am getting better fuel economy. Usually I hit half a tank when my trip meter is at anywhere between 95 and 110 miles. As of today's half tank, I have driven about 140 miles.

Hope this has been informative and helpful.
Peace!
Reepicheep
Old 09-22-2003, 09:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Reepicheep
My only concern is that the fan keeps running after the engine is turned off... but it only runs for about a minute. If running after shutdown becomes a problem (meaning - my battery dies) I will try to hook the yellow wire into the ignition circuit like I believe Seafarinman did.
I originally didn't have it hooked up to the ignition, either, and the fan would keep coming on every 5 minutes until the engine finally cooled down. Eventually it would stop, but it sure was annoying to have the fan come on 30 minutes after the engine stopped. I finally wired it to the ignition.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:17 AM

I had to rewire mine to the ignition since my fan would come on repeatedly while it was cooling off, and then it became repeatly when the engine was cool, then it would just stay on all the time and it killed my optima redtop. Luckily I was able to just jump start the battery with my accessory battery in the bed of my truck. I have had no problems since I went to the fixed fan controller and having it enabled by the IGN fuse. Glad that the install went well for your vehicle. Just say "NO!" to the variable temp fan controllers.

Rome
Old 09-22-2003, 12:19 PM

When you say ignition (IGN) fuse, I assume you mean the one located on the driver's side kick panel, correct? I may look into getting some wire and doing that myself... don't want that fan to kill my battery.

Thanks again, gentlemen, for your help!!
Peace!
Reepicheep
Old 09-22-2003, 02:39 PM

Exactly, I ran a wire from the IGN fuse through a ATO Add-a-circuit fuse tap (mini 2 fuse block that inserts into the original fuse slot and has two slots in it, and a "pigtail" for the accessory that you are tapping in) and voila! You are in business. That actual part number escapes me, but if you do a search, I have posted it in a previous thread about the Taurus Fan. Good luck.

Rome