Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Is A Swing-Out Tire Carrier Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is A Swing-Out Tire Carrier Worth It?

I found a local shop to make a custom rear bumper, however adding a swing-out tire carrier doubles the price. :cry: If you guys with swing-out tire carriers on your bumpers had to do it again, would you get the tire carrier?

An alternative plan:
I'm building a rear cargo box and one plan I've drawn up includes space for the spare tire.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:06 PM

I really hate external tire racks. However with the 285s there really is not practical place to put the spare except on a tire rack.

I can not carry all my stuff with that tire inside and it will not fit underneath.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 10-05-2003, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

im a fan of my tire rack. just make sure the hinge is a good one. the person of made my bumper made the hinge very half a-- and now its really hard to open it
Old 10-05-2003, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a rear carrier. I like it to a point.

If you have room in the interior, then put it there but make sure it is completely secure.

If you can figure out a way to make it not wiggle when it is latched, which seems to be fighting Physics, then that would make it pretty cherry.

I personally view it as a necessary evil.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:35 PM
Contributing Member

I am sooooooo glad I built this bumper. For one, the 33" tires doesn't fit under the rear of the 4runner anymore. Plus, dragging the tire over rocks is really not too good for the rubber. With a good hinge and locking latch, you can be set. I have modifed my bumper to move the tire up out of the way when off-roading, then when its back on the road, I move it back down to a lower position, where the rear window can actually be used.

Old 10-05-2003, 08:47 PM

I am trying to get my buddy to make me a tire carrier/bumper, because I have my spare in the back now, and I HATE it! it takes up WAAAAY too much room, but if you can stand it, then don't get the tire carrier.

I personally like the look of a rear tire carrier
Old 10-05-2003, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like mine even though it's a little more effort to get in the back. Most of the time if I even want to reach into the window I have to open the carrier. I'd say if you can still fit your tire in the normal place, or if you don't want a tool box like mine, then you don't need one. Besides, it'll cause more damage in an accident. But if you just want it, then go for it.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:19 PM

Has anyone thought about cutting the cross member that is directly above the tire carrier mechanism, than refabbing a tube that is higher up so a 285 would fit? Or is the distance between the frame rails too small?

Chris
Old 10-06-2003, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the replies.

Do you guys have the spare mounted on the carrier all the time or only on the trail? How much does it obscure looking out the rear window?
Old 10-06-2003, 11:02 AM
DSP

I am in the deciding stage right now myself...

I go back and forth, I have room in my wilderness rack for the spare...but, it seems silly to have all the cargo room up top and then fill it with a spare.

I like the look of the swing on the older runners and like a lot of the fab jobs others have done themselves.

The standard seems to be the Rockware bumpers out of Colorado Springs. It is a 6 hour drive for me and they say they need my truck for 3 days.

Darrens truck came out nice with a $1000+ price tag...I've saved up 750.00 but when i called it seems the price has gone up to 1400.00, not sure it is worth it to me at that price...anyone else know a GOOD fabricator.

Dave
Old 10-06-2003, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

keep in mind you get what you pay for. their work is top notch. my rear bumper was 700 and had everything i could have wanted. although now the hinge doesnt work that great and it really isnt as good of a bumper as i would have liked it to be. my .02:chicken:
Old 10-06-2003, 11:29 AM
Contributing Member

Darrens truck came out nice with a $1000+ price tag...I've saved up 750.00 but when i called it seems the price has gone up to 1400.00, not sure it is worth it to me at that price...anyone else know a GOOD fabricator.

Dave

I'll sell you mine for $650. I'm looking at making another one that is a little bit lighter. This one is a brute and works very very well. many people can attest to this.

Click here to see how the bumper is made
Old 10-06-2003, 12:59 PM

I have a Rockware as well.

It cost quite a few pretty pennies, but it was well worth it. I could not have done that myself and made it look that pretty and I do not know anyone around me in Wisconsin who knows truck stuff to that degree.

Buy once, cry once.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:36 PM
DSP

Originally posted by SteveO
I'll sell you mine for $650. I'm looking at making another one that is a little bit lighter. This one is a brute and works very very well. many people can attest to this.

Click here to see how the bumper is made
Give me some references...
Also I was wondering if you had a side shot of how those skirts line up with the body.
The only thing the guy at rockware said was that each 3rd generation is a little different...that's why they needed my truck for 3 days. Each rear bumper had to be made custom for that vehicle or it wouldn't match.

Dunno?

Old 10-06-2003, 03:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by DSP
The only thing the guy at rockware said was that each 3rd generation is a little different...that's why they needed my truck for 3 days. Each rear bumper had to be made custom for that vehicle or it wouldn't match.
That comment was in direct relation to Lance's ("Bighead") and mine. Ours were made at the same time and was built with my 4Runner being the model on-site. Sure enough, wouldn't you believe it, they had to do a few minor tweaks to his when he was there getting it put on. His is a 2001 and mine an '02, which between those two years, you would think they would be as close as any two. The mounting locations are identical, but they had to pound the vertical plate back under the tailgate to allow it to shut and maybe one other thing, I can't remember. His also has a bit more of a gap than mine from the body. Mine is at 1".

Based on this, it would depend on one's preference, but if they want it to be perfect to their liking, going custom is the only way. Take your own 4Runner to a shop and be happy. Dave, as Doink said, you get what you pay for. I get tired of hearing people complain (not you) about the prices of this unit and other stuff, such as my sliders, which also come to mind. There IS a difference in craftsmanship and performance, and the cost reflects that. Funny how that works. What's a few hundred extra dollars? You'll make more! Bumper parts cost the same for every fabricator, about ~$125, as I think Matt at Rock Ware told me. It's what you do with all those pieces is what counts. Whatever, to each their own. I like what I have and I'm happy.

Regarding Steve's bumper, I believe his stock bumper is still in place. He just built his bumper as a cage around it. Less departure angle with his, but it is bulletproof.

Regarding the original post, I would do it again, without question.

Better than having the tire up top, which I did. COG thing.

Better than having it (a 285) in the stock location as it will get bumped and scraped, which I've done. I don't like that idea either.

If you have some cool tires, it will have a cool factor if you have a matching spare!

If you have some cool wheels, it will have a cool factor if you have a matching spare!

Last edited by Darren; 10-06-2003 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:38 PM
Contributing Member

tire carrier

I just built a new rear bumper for mine because I wanted the tire on the rear not underneath. I used the rockstomper hinge, and shackle hangers. The main part of my bumper is a piece of 2x4 rectangular steel tube, withe the tire carrier made out of 2x2 square tube. It is still a work in progess, I dont have a receiver to tow with yet but I'll find one some day. Best part was the price I've only got about $325.00 into it. It looks something like this. HTH

Paul
Attached Thumbnails Is A Swing-Out Tire Carrier Worth It?-mcspec.gif  
Old 10-06-2003, 04:36 PM

Get a bumper built to your truck. Not someone's who is a lot like yours or even the same model. Get a custom bumper custom, period.

I know that is not always practical, but you will be doing yourself a favor since the product will be perfect and you allow the fab guy to do his job.

Steve's is a brute, it took some serious pounding all 3 days I watched it and it did not flinch. Watch the CO4RJ teaser and see how it laughs at rocks.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

Re: tire carrier

Originally posted by partszar
I just built a new rear bumper for mine because I wanted the tire on the rear not underneath. I used the rockstomper hinge, and shackle hangers. The main part of my bumper is a piece of 2x4 rectangular steel tube, withe the tire carrier made out of 2x2 square tube. It is still a work in progess, I dont have a receiver to tow with yet but I'll find one some day. Best part was the price I've only got about $325.00 into it. It looks something like this. HTH

Paul
that design you have is just like the Ken mtn one
Old 10-06-2003, 04:58 PM

I'm going with a combination of the stock bumper and 1/4" 3x2 steel tubing.

Chris
Old 10-06-2003, 05:04 PM
Contributing Member

DSP,

the best I can do for at this time, is to point you to my website, where the bumper is. I have several pictures, and I have uploaded a few more pictures of the bumper tonight.

Albuquerque Jim has seen it,
Flygtenstein has seen it,
Mike Brown has seen it,
Jeff the Marmot has seen it,
Schaefer has seen it in AZ.......

check out this link, look towards the bottom of the page:

http://www.hunt4steve.com/off-road/skids/99bumprr.htm

Quick Reply: Is A Swing-Out Tire Carrier Worth It?