Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Supra MAF in a S/C'd '96

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 11:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Supra MAF in a S/C'd '96

Okay, first off... If you're supercharged, you HAVE to do this mod. The difference is _incredible_.

Second off... The mod is PAINFULLY easy on a '96. It'll take you longer to get your tools out than it will to do the work.

Now... what IS this about?

Well, a lot as been written about replacing the stock MAF with one from a Supra, and I won't go into a lot of detail here, but the bottom line is that after you've done the deckplate mod, the ISR and maybe bored out your throttle body, then a new airflow bottleneck emerges - and that's the MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor).

The stock MAF is "too small" when it comes to looking at the air flow that a supercharged setup can _require_ in order to provide all the boost that it can. If you starve the intake, then the S/C will be limited in the amount of boost that it can kick.

The old saying goes "a picture is worth a thousand words", so... The stock MAF is on the left, the Supra MAF is on the right (click for larger pics):

Quite a difference... and the difference it makes in terms of what your right foot gives you is just as dramatic.

Like I said up top, the install is painfully easy on a '96. The hardest task you'll have is to find the right sized plumbing adapters to fit this to your intake tube (the MAF itself will fit into a '96 airbox _without_ modification). And as for the electrical...

...are ya' sitting down?

...really? You sure???

.... it's a direct plug in. There are _no_ wiring changes involved on a '96.

We're talking pull the connector off of the old MAF, pull the old MAF out of the intake path, pull the Supra MAF out of the box, fit the Supra MAF into the intake path, plug the original connector into the Supra MAF, reset the ECU and... fire it up.

Write-ups for other model years talk about havinig to juggle the middle 3 wires, and truth-be-told, I did that before trying to fire the engine. But in the end, troubleshooting why the engine would try to start, but not run, cost me a good 20-30 minutes.

I finally wondered (out loud to myself!) "what if...". So I hooked up the wires in the stock configuration and... WHAM! She started right up.

Driving it... WOW.

Okay, I've always had a "lump" in acceleration. Something that I'd attributed to things needing to be tuned a bit closer, or my needing to keep things like the air filter (or MAF!) cleaner - and doing those things _did_ help. But, even in just backing out of the driveway with the new MAF, I knew things were different. Finding a nice straight path got a grin going; finding a place to play at highway speeds got a _SMILE_ going!

The acceleration is _glass smooth_ from stomping on it to redline. Cruising at 60mph and then kicking it brings up redline a _LOT_ quicker than it used to. There's more power up top, and the power is "cleaner". It's hard to describe... If you're S/C'd now, then you know that things can sound a bit "strained" up top - not any more. It's like if you remove a piece of gauze from in front of your face, you can see a lot better. Well, now you can tell the S/C can breath a lot better.

Honestly, I didn't expect this much of a difference. It's VERY cool.

Bottom line... if you're S/C'd then you need to do this mod. BUT!!! Remember that since you'll be sucking more air, you'll need to be able to burn more fuel. The stock ECU will _NOT_ be able to handle this (and you shouldn't be running the stock ECU setup anyway!!!!). I don't know if the 7th injector system will be able to either. In my opinion, you will HAVE to be running something like an SMT or FTC module in order to make this happen. To make up for the added air, I had to crank up my SMT quite a bit in terms of global fuel delivery.

Whew... YAY!

The MAF is Toyota part #22250-46030, NipponDenso #197400-0010.

Other references:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/supra-maf-works-newer-trucks-33185/

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...1&page=2&pp=30

Last edited by midiwall; 06-09-2006 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, very cool upgrade/mod for you. I guess you can never have the capability to go too fast.... yeah, MORE POWER! Very nice!
Old 04-30-2006, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Funrunner
Wow, very cool upgrade/mod for you. I guess you can never have the capability to go too fast.... yeah, MORE POWER! Very nice!
And you get the right seat on Sunday! heh-heh...

HOLD ON!
Old 04-30-2006, 09:24 AM
Contributing Member

Whats the part # for the MAF? I think I might pick one up to see how it works on a N/A rig.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2006, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by 914runner
Whats the part # for the MAF? I think I might pick one up to see how it works on a N/A rig.
I wouldn't expect much, and they could be pricey new, but...

There are two numbers on it, Toyota: 22250-46030, and Nippon/Denso: 197400-0010.

Remember that _you_ may have to do the wiring swap. And note that you do _NOT_ have to cut the wires in order to do it. The MAF connector comes apart pretty easily and you can just move the pins within the connector housing.

Let us know how it works out!

Last edited by midiwall; 04-30-2006 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
I wouldn't expect much, and they could be pricey new, but...

There are two numbers on it, Toyota: 22250-46030, and Nippon/Denso: 197400-0010.

Remember that _you_ may have to do the wiring swap. And note that you do _NOT_ have to cut the wires in order to do it. The MAF connector comes apart pretty easily and you can just move the pins within the connector housing.

Let us know how it works out!
Im pretty good with swapping pins on the connectors, did ALOT of that on the engine swap in my '91. LOL

Looks like the Toyota # is the correct one. Ill get a cost and let everyone know.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by 914runner
Im pretty good with swapping pins on the connectors, did ALOT of that on the engine swap in my '91. LOL
Oh gawd, yeah I 'magine that you did!

Good luck!
Old 04-30-2006, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

Wow Mark, very cool stuff there!!!
I might have to try it on my N/A too if it works that well (might give me the incentive to go for the S/C as well).

.....gotta love those plug n' play mods!
Old 05-01-2006, 11:16 AM

Update!

I had a chance to play a bit on the way to work this morning. There are two areas where this mod is DEFINITELY noticable:
  • 25-30mph on an on-ramp and you make the run into traffic. Pushing the pedal gets you a WONDEFUL feeling as you're pushed backed into your seat and the truck takes off. It's VERY different than with the stock MAF. It's stronger and more consistent. You also don't feel that you have to floor it to make it happen. In fact... see next point!

• Mashing the pedal from about 25-30 mph sets you in your seat and runs up to redline a LOT faster. In fact, hitting 6,000 RPM is a BREEZE - you get the downshift, the tach spins up, and you're looking for the upshift like NOW. Take it out of "ECT" mode, you don't want to hang up there any longer than you have to - you need the next gear.
Do it.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
Okay, I've always had a "lump" in acceleration. Something that I'd attributed to things needing to be tuned a bit closer, or my needing to keep things like the air filter (or MAF!) cleaner - and doing those things _did_ help.
Funny you mention this Mark, I have the same "lump" in my powerband! How much do you think I would need to crank up my fuel map on the SMT for this? Can my stock injectors handle this? Right now I don't have much more than "3" dialed in on the map in places.

This is awesome Mark! I want smoother power!
Old 05-01-2006, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Funny you mention this Mark, I have the same "lump" in my powerband! How much do you think I would need to crank up my fuel map on the SMT for this? Can my stock injectors handle this? Right now I don't have much more than "3" dialed in on the map in places.

This is awesome Mark! I want smoother power!

Umm, with the 305's I went from a global fuel adjustment of -2 to +3 (net change of +5) and I think I may run to +4 (I'll have to find a stretch of road and hook up the LM-1). So it's a LOT of difference.

Honestly man, I don't think you'll be able to hit the fuel requirements. The jump of "5" in one of those cells is pretty big - it's a LOT more time to hold the injectors open and of course they're expected to be hit with fuel for the duration.

Ya' know.. a set of injectors is about 80-$100 on eBay. It should probably be the next investment for you. I'd hate to see you move to the Supra only to have to take it off 'cause you're lean up top.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Contributing Member

Dang, I thought you might say that.

How much would 305's and a Supra MAF be for the savvy shopper?
Old 05-01-2006, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Dang, I thought you might say that.
Yeah, sorry man.

How much would 305's and a Supra MAF be for the savvy shopper?
Ummm, I got my 305's a long while ago for $80. There are definitely people out there trying to make BIG bucks on them though. eBay shows some options from both sides of the equation:

http://search.ebay.com/supra-injectors

Gadget's all about the HUGE injectors... I can see maybe going to 318's, but anything larger and you're too big for the S/C. Those would be used in a turbo setup.

Part numbers and such are on his 4Runner site:

http://www.gadgetonline.com/Fuel.htm#Injector%20Upgrade

MAF wise... I bought mine for "more than one is currently listed for here on YT" . I'm quite happy with what I paid though. I think Terry still has one here listed for $40, but I know people are lined up for it. I paid $55 plus shipping.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

I guess this doesn't apply to the later models?
Old 05-01-2006, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
I guess this doesn't apply to the later models?
Which "this"? The MAF?? Oh you BETCHA' IT DOES!

Check the links at the bottom of my first post for info on later models.

BUT! To run this on a later model you'll have to get yourself an earlier model airbox or hack the heck out of yours. The MAF is melded into later model air boxes.

My real reason for starting this thread was three fold:
  1. Pictures
  2. Personal babble versus adding to threads from 2004
  3. Stating that there were NO wiring harness hacks required for a 96.
But yes... you can most certainly cram a larger MAF into late model vehicles.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

Silly me,
I guess I meant that this easy application doesn't apply to later models.

More research
Old 05-01-2006, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Silly me,
I guess I meant that this easy application doesn't apply to later models.
Yeah, that's kinda' the bottom line. For me, it was easy - thought it took me an hour or so of futzing to realize that it was.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds like you and I have that in common
Old 05-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Banned

there might be a problem swapping in the supra MAF into 99+ 4runners. i've swapped an airbox + MAF between a 99 and 98, and it caused a CEL on both trucks IIRC.

maybe just the wiring is in a different order, i have no idea, i didnt bother trying to figure it out.

something to keep in mind...
Old 05-01-2006, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

Do you remember the codes?

Quick Reply: Supra MAF in a S/C'd '96