Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Supercharger off, labor and price

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharger off, labor and price

Hello there everyone on this forum. I was wondering if anyone has had problems with their 4runner supercharger and had taken it off? If so, how much to take it off from the dealership and was performance back to normal? I have a 98 4runner Limited 4x4, SC, TRD Exhaust, amsoil, OEM lift all around, 265/75/16 tires. Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

Why don't we just switch our parts and I will take the problem off your hands?

I would imagine the dealer to charge around $500 to put everything back - given you have all the stock parts. Just a guess though. Call and ask a couple of them and average the price.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:13 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good grief. It's a 2-3 hour job. Should be NO MORE THAN $200 at most.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

Just spoke with Jim @ Bell Road Toyota here in Phoenix. $510 to put a 98 4Runner back to stock with all the parts provided by you.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Just spoke with Jim @ Bell Road Toyota here in Phoenix. $510 to put a 98 4Runner back to stock with all the parts provided by you.
I think it is the same price to take it off as to put one on.
.....about $500 at the stealer.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:54 AM

Just called 2 dealers around my area, San Diego, CA. National City Toyota offered to charge $477, and another one, Bob Baker Toyota, wanted to charge me over $800. He said he never uninstalled one before but estimated that cost. he evidently doesn't know what he is talking about. I hope the stealership that installed it (National City) gave me all the parts that they took out. I've just about had it with the problems and thousands of dollars that needs to be put in just to make this 4runner run properly.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:58 AM

Has anyone done this SC to Stock conversion. You guys must think I'm crazy but I kind of need to save the money because I'm buying a trillion dollar home here in San Diego. I think that's the average price is here now. I can't go on spending on 4runner repairs and upgrades living like a starving student 5 years after graduating from college.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:00 AM
lee
Contributing Member

thousands of dollars?

you probably just need the 7th injector kit, or maybe a new pulley or something.

no need for all that much money.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:06 AM
Contributing Member

I might be interested in buying the SC depending on condition and price. Let me know.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:09 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Originally Posted by barrafp
Has anyone done this SC to Stock conversion. You guys must think I'm crazy but I kind of need to save the money because I'm buying a trillion dollar home here in San Diego. I think that's the average price is here now. I can't go on spending on 4runner repairs and upgrades living like a starving student 5 years after graduating from college.
I'm doing one this weekend, I'll post how long it takes me Saturday afternoon when I'm done.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:16 AM

The 7th injector kit are only for 99 and up 4runners. I have a 98 which is before all the cool upgrades of the 99 and up. Sorry, but my brother-in-law offered to take it off my hands and suffer for me. I've noticed that every upgrade reacts differently to all 4runners. Especially if they are different years. Mine seems to be the worst for some reason.
Concerning the thousands of dollars of upgrades, the 7th injector kit is abou that much, the URD kit is close to a Grand, Valve body upgrades are there as well. I have the deckplate mod and exhaust. I seriously felt a decrease in torque after the TRD exhaust was installed. I had the SC which already gave me a sluggish feeling, then made it worse with the exhaust. Shouldn't it be the other way around? This is giving me a headache. It's not the breaking in factor because I've already gone about 4000 miles on both SC and exhaust. It just never performed well from the beginning. I guess I'll just stick to looks with my lift.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:19 AM

I'm totally not mechanically inclined when it comes to engine work. I can do the basics like oil change and other fluids, and even surprised myself for installing the new thermostat after the SC. I'm willing to give it to the stealership to put it back to stock as a trade-off for longer engine life. Maybe after the sale of my SC to my brother-in-law and the cost of SC to Stock, I'll be able to treat myself out to a nice dinner at Jack in the Box.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:21 AM
Contributing Member

I had the SC which already gave me a sluggish feeling, then made it worse with the exhaust. Shouldn't it be the other way around? This is giving me a headache. It's not the breaking in factor because I've already gone about 4000 miles on both SC and exhaust. It just never performed well from the beginning. I guess I'll just stick to looks with my lift.
Have you ever had it dyno'd? If not I would highly recommend doing so to dial in on WHY you are not getting good power.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:26 AM
Banned

If it's that much, then offer it up on TTORA and on here and everywhere else you can find for $500 + whoever wants it has to pay to put your rig back to stock since you have all the parts and just don't have the know-how ($1000 total). If they do it themselves and do a good job and follow the TRD directions (backwards for installation), then they can have it for $750 (total) and they won't have to pay a dealer to do the work.

If you do that, you'll have SOMEONE willing to drive to SD and do the swap and you won't pay too much for labor. I installed mine in 2 hours 45 minutes by myself and I'd never done it or even seen it done before. If you're competent w/ tools, then you can do it and then sell it for well over $1200 by yourself on the boards or on eBay.

Last edited by bamachem; 10-06-2004 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Something is obviously not right with your setup....you may be even more disappointed when you get it back to stock.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:50 AM

No, I never had it dyno'd. I've brought it back to the stealership who installed it and they said that everything was installed correctly. Here are a few problems:
1. excessive pinging (dangerous level)
2. slows down on hills and when gas is floored there is no pull but just more noise.
3. infamous problems that Gadget mentioned on his site about low rpms high gear.
4. and other problems that I'm sure I don't know about.

I've had it.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:52 AM

I can barely get speeds of over 85 on a flat highway.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:12 AM
Banned

I can barely get speeds of over 85 on a flat highway.
Instead of selling it, offer $100 to a TTORA or Yotatech member who has experience w/ SC's to come over and fix your problem. If they can't fix it, then they don't get the money. I bet you have a problem w/ the FMC or a leaky vacuum somewhere. Dealers are NOTORIOUS for installing them wrong and then not accepting responsibility.

Also, when was the last time you had your air intake flushed, the MAF cleaned, the fuel rail and injectors cleaned, and the fuel filter changed? If you don't know the exact answer to ALL of those Q's, then that's where you need to start.

1.You need to seafoam your intake and injectors. Search for help on that one.
2.You need to replace the Fuel Filter.
3.You need to clean the MAF w/ carb cleaner then follow that w/ electronic contact cleaner.

Last edited by bamachem; 10-06-2004 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:26 AM

I will give these suggestions on fixes a shot. I still have a couple of months with this SC
Old 11-02-2004, 07:56 PM

San Diego Super Charger

Where's the best place for install and tune in San Diego,?

Anyoneone have experience with sandiego supechargers in La Mesa?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Supercharger off, labor and price