Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Supercharger Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharger Install Question

Hey gang, I just received my TRD supercharger for my 2000 4Runner and was reading through the installation instructions. I am a little confused about the one way valve for the IAC hose. From reading the instruction book it would appear that I need to perform this step on my 2000 model, but when reading the included two page supplement I got the impression that for my year the valve does not need to be installed. Can someone tell me if I need to cut the IAC hose and install the valve for my 2000 4Runner or do I skip that step?

Thanks ahead of time,

Rob
Old 04-23-2006, 12:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ahh... looks like there's a typo/logic fart. Interesting.

For reference, the instructions I'm reading (link to PDF) say:
"(Skip this step for 2001 and newer 4Runner) Cut the hose leading to the IAC valve connector at the location shown, and insert the kit’s one-way valve into the straight part of the hose. The black end of the valve (see arrow, figure 25 and diagram on page 23) is closest to the throttle body."
Then, the relevant statement in the andendum (link to PDF) reads:
"Page 11, Step 1: Before this step, identify the throttle body type. Most 2001 and later model year 4Runner and 2003 and later model year Tacoma and Tundra have a motorized throttle body (Figure 1). If the vehicle being worked on has a traditional cable-actuated throttle body, skip to Step 5 on the next page.
Those seem to be contradictory. Since the manual seems to say "install the valve if you have a cable operated TB", versus the adendum saying the opposite.

Anyway, it seems the key here is wether or not you have a cable acuated throttle. So, the easiest way to tell would be to look at the TB. Facing it from the front, how many wire cables are going to the right and how many to the left? if you have an auto, then a cable acuated TB would have two cables going to the right. If you have a stick, then a cable acuated TB would only have one cable going to the right.

Late addition... This is interesting info from 3 years ago. I found it by SEARCHing here.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...0&page=3&pp=20
Originally Posted by ManyMods

The most important items to note here are that the IAC check valve should be installed in the IAC vacuum line on the 2001 and 2002 models despite the fact that the manual says otherwise
One of the conditions created by not having the IAC check valve in-line is the surging and hesitation that Chris was experiencing.
Sounds like you need to install it.

Last edited by midiwall; 04-24-2006 at 05:17 AM.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:49 PM

btw... congrats on the S/C. What are you gonna do for fuel mods?
Old 04-23-2006, 04:02 PM

That is the exact confusion I was referring to. I definitely have the cable actuated throttle body. It looks like I will go ahead and install the valve but as you noted it is a bit contradictory. As far as fuel mods go, I am saving up a bit to get the URD kit and a 2.2 pulley. I have installed a tranny cooler and will send out the valve body in the near future. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Primo
That is the exact confusion I was referring to. I definitely have the cable actuated throttle body. It looks like I will go ahead and install the valve but as you noted it is a bit contradictory. As far as fuel mods go, I am saving up a bit to get the URD kit and a 2.2 pulley. I have installed a tranny cooler and will send out the valve body in the near future. Thanks for your input.
Definately put the check valve in on your truck.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:21 AM

As far as fuel mods go, I am saving up a bit to get the URD kit and a 2.2 pulley. I have installed a tranny cooler and will send out the valve body in the near future. Thanks for your input.
'k... be careful. Where are you in the world?

If you can't afford all of the kit _now_, then can you afford just the Walbro (fuel pump)? That'd be something that's relatively inexpensive but can help the high RPM lean out even with stock injectors and ECU.

I soapbox on this a lot, but it's really important to get this work done.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:14 AM

I do not have the supercharger installed yet and don't plan to do it until I have the fuel upgrade kit. I want to do the whole thing at once.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds like you're lining you're getting your ducks in a row. Congrats on the Supercharger!!
Old 04-24-2006, 08:47 AM

Thanks man!!!
Old 04-24-2006, 09:29 AM

I do not have the supercharger installed yet and don't plan to do it until I have the fuel upgrade kit. I want to do the whole thing at once.
AHHHH! okay then.

I figured that since you were asking about the IAC valve you were ready to install.

Wow... you're actually getting everything together & answered before you start.

YAY!

SOMEONE BUY THIS GUY A BEER! !! !!
Old 04-24-2006, 11:34 AM

Yeah, I figured that it's costing quite a bit of money so I am going to listen to the people on here who have already been through the process and try to do it right the first time.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:14 PM

Yeah, I figured that it's costing quite a bit of money so I am going to listen to the people on here who have already been through the process and try to do it right the first time.
That's one of the smartest posts I have seen in a long time. I like the way you think.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by TRDOLMAN
That's one of the smartest posts I have seen in a long time. I like the way you think.
Seconded - 'specially since he has the S/C at his feet and is only three hours away from WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

Last edited by midiwall; 04-24-2006 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TRDOLMAN

Tell me about it.

Primo, you should get a "noob of the month award" As the guys have said, its great that you are doing your homework before diving in

Bob
Old 04-24-2006, 04:32 PM

Thanks guys! I will definitely take the beer. I am not the type who likes to do things twice and usually gather as much info as I can before making a decision. This forum and all of you guys have helped me with each and every mod on my truck and I would like to thank all of you for the invaluable information you have provided. Now who wants to tune my truck when I'm done???????

Rob
Old 04-24-2006, 04:43 PM

Now who wants to tune my truck when I'm done???????
Where are you in the world?
Old 04-24-2006, 05:42 PM

He said in an earlier post that he is from Connecticut.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:42 AM

Yeah, I'm in Milford Connecticut.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:04 AM

Ahh... whoops. Sorry.

A bit too far for me to travel, but I could sideline a trip to see my mom... Hmmm.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:23 AM

Plenty of room to stay and cold beer awaits!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Supercharger Install Question