Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Suggestions for mods??

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 10:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for mods??

OK.... looks like I should have my runner very soon.... am having one inspected this friday, and if all goes well, I will have it in 2 weeks... If not, I just lined 2 more up for me to look at whenever I want... I am pumped... Since I cant leave anything alone, I am getting ready to mod as quickly as $$ allows... I have had my bronco done for 8 months now, and am DIEING for a new project!!!

I already have some mods in mind... and have a few already here waiting for a truck.... The truck that I am formost interested in is a 1997 stellar blue pearl 3.4L 4X4 5speed with an Elocker. here is a list of mods that will all take place pending time and $$$ in no specific order:

-Complete OEM lift.. panhard and diff drops.
-FZJ-80 wheels with 285/75/R16 cooper discoverer STTs or Toyo Open country MTs
-Manual locking hub swap
-Lockrite in the front
-Satoshi Mod
-Hilux Surf logo for rear
-ISR mod
-Front bumper- either ARB or TJM
-Sliders
-Rear bumper with tire carrier
-1 or 1.5" BL if required
-grey wire Elocker mod
-Fully amber corner lenses

Truck already has:
-4" deckplate
-TRD headers
-Cat back exhaust

Mods that I cant do
-Hood scoop, wife thinks its too manly for her to drive then ( but all the rest are ok, figure that out )
-Supercharger... may not be the best as this is going to be a daily driver for my wife and I

Can anyone suggest some other mods? The truck will see mostly light 4X4 when it sees off road... I have my bronco for the really hard stuff. It will spend 75% of its time as a daily driver, 25% recreational and camping and all that fun stuff... I want it to be ready to off road if needed though... I am looking for ANY mod suggestion... interior exterior... anything.... need to get my mind active again... I think it went to sleep mode for the last few months...

Cheers
Bob
Old 03-07-2006, 10:52 PM
Contributing Member

shoot, sounds like you have quite a few of the bases covered. diff breathers. did you look at roger's site for things? aside from his good ideas, perhaps a new skidplate or two. the stock ones really leave something to be desired. sleeping platform in back? roof rack, lightforce light bar, etc.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:21 PM
Contributing Member

Yep.. Diff breathers are on my list too.... A must have on all 4x4s.... I am not all that worried about the skid plates yet... if it turns out that I will be 4x4ing this thing as much as the bronco, then I will go full skid plates... and heck, while Im there I guess a SAS and the SC.... then go looking for another daily driver..... now... back to reality

I was given a REALLY nice roof rack... but my wife has a 6'6" height limit for her parking at work... I want to watch the height.....

I will probably go with some nice lights on the bumper... I am currently running a warn 9500LB winch on the bronco.... Part of me wants to switch that to the runner and throw a 12000LB one on the Bronco... again... one day Im sure it will happen

I should go look at rogers site.... Thinking makes me not able to sleep
Old 03-08-2006, 05:37 AM

Even though it's a daily driver, you could still do the supercharger. It'll make it a lot more fun to drive and if you don't drive it hard it may even add a couple MPG's per tank.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:39 AM
Contributing Member

Please note: A SC'r is not a simple bolt-on affair.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member

I have done ALOT of reading... I am very aware than a SC does not just fall out of te box and onto my truck....
Old 03-08-2006, 08:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Bob
I have done ALOT of reading... I am very aware than a SC does not just fall out of te box and onto my truck....
No need to be sarcastic. The simple fact is that a lot of people initially think they can just bolt the SC'r on and floor it everywhere without placing their engine at risk. What I wrote had nothing to do with installation as your mordant "fall out of the box onto my truck" comment indicates.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:25 AM

Awesome, I see you have added the Hi-Lux surf emblem too, any pics??? I still havent put mine on yet, not 100% sure where to put it, and which emblems to take off, might just sell it, (but I could really use the 10+ horse that come with it)
Old 03-08-2006, 08:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bob, hope you get that vehicle soon, I know you have been looking for a long time!

Quick comment:
The supercharger may actually help gas mileage in some cases, but it depends greatly on how you drive it. Some have reported an increase of 1mpg during conservative highway driving.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member

how bout the kitchen sink mod? heh...

sounds like you pretty much got all the bases covered bob...well everything short of a full sas. id give the SC a 2nd look...youre a mechanic so if things break, you can fix it yourself

gears maybe? big brakes, snorkel (although i dont like the safari ones for the 3rd gen..id probably fab one up myself)...diff protection?

lights might be a good upgrade as well... the 00-02 headlights & tail lights. they just look cooler..heh. and of course some aux lights on the bumper/roof rack.

before you go playing in the rocks, id get some protection on first. sliders mos def...maybe elocker plate. then just add more bits as you break em

are you going with a drop panhard bar or the bracket?
Old 03-08-2006, 12:13 PM

Dont worry guys i wont let him put a s/c on without the appropriate mods He doesn't live to far from me.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

Sorry 96 Runner, my comment did come across sarcastic... I was not meaning that... I have read up on it... and it seems like a good mod... I would probably follow it up with the correct URD fuel setup if I choose to do it... It is honestly in my mind... that is a big $$$ commitment...

Last year I finished building a 351W for my bronco... It was bored .040 over. has a nice cam, edelbrock heads, roller rockers, ported and polished intakes, dual 56mm throttle body, 73mm MAF, 24LB/H injectors, headers, 3" exhaust... It goes like stink..... with 36" swampers, I can roast 5.0L mustangs all over the place!!! All that said, I already built my power house... the super changer would be an awsome upgrade, but Im still not set that it will be one to do right yet.... I see in a few years it is going to become no longer a daily driver, but a new toy for me to play with... at that point I will start my SAS and probably put an SC on there too....

The point of my runner is going to be replacing the MR2, making it my wifes primary vehicle... I can only imagine her running around with a super charger.... heheheh... is 5 MPG unreasonable??? heheheh

Well if I do decide to go with the SC I do have Johnny to fall back on for help... Probably only till my Runner becomes faster than his Taco and he kicks me out of his shop

Tundra brakes will go on when front brakes are needed... I will not go out of my way to add these, but they will be added when required....

If I come across headlights and tail lights at the right price I will grab them....HINT HINT..... I have not gone out of my way to find them yet.... But knowing me I will soon enough

Thanks for the support and advise you guys!!! Doing mods makes me happy make me happy!

Cheers
Bob
Old 03-08-2006, 04:11 PM
Contributing Member

Cool, thanks for clarifying Bob. Funny because my first response wasn't even directed at you.

Anyway, can't wait to see your rig when you get it all fixed up.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks... that makes 2 of us who cant wait..... I should know by 5pm friday what toyota thinks of the truck.... its 10 hours away from me... but its what Im looking for, so if its nice, its worth the drive to me...

And Im here to make friends not people mad... so again, sorry for coming across sarcastic with a poorly worded post
Old 03-08-2006, 04:40 PM

Lol nice man Faster then my taco with a engine or without? (taco that is )
Old 03-11-2006, 08:08 PM

Bob,

I'm glad to see my truck going to you. Its going to be interesting to see GRIMACE go to his next stage of reincarnation! You get to do everything I wanted to do but couldn't because of funds or know how.

I can't wait to see what the final outcome will be.

Last edited by Grimace; 03-11-2006 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:42 PM

im sure it will be well taken care of
Old 03-12-2006, 04:31 AM
JGM

Why would you use a lockrite for a daily driver that sees "light" offroading 25% of the time?

If you see "light offroading" forget a front locker. Probably won't need it. If you think you will need it, go ARB if this will be a daily driver (especially if your wife is not accustomed to auto locker behavior). Money is never an issue, right? Just my $.02.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see a need for a manual hub swap on a light duty offroader. Save that cash and put it elsewhere, besides if you break an axle, the ADD axles are easier to change out on the trail.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks Dave... Im honestly glad this all worked out... Lydia and I are both very excited!

Thanks guys on the lockrite advice... I am curently running an aussie locker in the front of my bronco... it came stock with manual hubs, so I didnt have to convert though...

Also too... my verson of "light off road" is probably very different from many peoples....

I like manual hubs for one reason... if you pick a set on the slightly weaker side, then they will always be the first to blow up... not an axle, bud hubs, a 5 minute trail repair...

anyhow that portion of my thinking is still just thinking....

Quick Reply: Suggestions for mods??