Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

STEERING SHAKES OVER BUMPS on a 04

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry STEERING SHAKES OVER BUMPS on a 04

Have a sr5 04 v6... Steering will shake when going over Bumps on the highway at around 60 to 75 mph. (especially when encountering those highway dividers in the road). I know there has been alot of discussion on vibration at these speeds and that does not seem to be the problem here. When traveling on smooth road .no problem. The weird part is that it happens on certain bumps when one of the front wheels encounters it.(left or right)
Initially had a shimmy in the steering at highway speeds all the time ... took it back to the dealer who balanced the wheels using the Hunter machine..and that seems to have corrected that problem with the consistent shimmy at highway speeds but not the shake over bumps

Rotated the tires and had them torqued to the proper specification with no difference. I do have Dunlop tires that came with the vehicle.

Also don't know if this is a coincidence but on warmer days the problem seems to be more apparent.

Does anybody out there have these particular problems ??? or a opinion as to what this may be ??? Thanks in advance.....
Old 03-13-2004, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by aiwaskiw
Have a sr5 04 v6... Steering will shake when going over Bumps on the highway at around 60 to 75 mph. (especially when encountering those highway dividers in the road). I know there has been alot of discussion on vibration at these speeds and that does not seem to be the problem here. When traveling on smooth road .no problem. The weird part is that it happens on certain bumps when one of the front wheels encounters it.(left or right)
Initially had a shimmy in the steering at highway speeds all the time ... took it back to the dealer who balanced the wheels using the Hunter machine..and that seems to have corrected that problem with the consistent shimmy at highway speeds but not the shake over bumps

Rotated the tires and had them torqued to the proper specification with no difference. I do have Dunlop tires that came with the vehicle.

Also don't know if this is a coincidence but on warmer days the problem seems to be more apparent.

Does anybody out there have these particular problems ??? or a opinion as to what this may be ??? Thanks in advance.....
My 04 Taco is the same way. Although its not that bad and I have gotten used to it. Did you test drive other 04 runners to see if they do the same thing. If they don't, have the alignment checked, specifically the caster.
Also, check all steering/front end component, specifically the stablizer.

Good luck
Old 03-13-2004, 08:40 AM

Can't see how it would be a alignment issue since the steering does not pull to the left or right. Also have not drove other 04 runners to see if they do the same thing but if they do it's pretty sad........... will be making a appointement with the dealer.

thnks for reply..........
Old 03-13-2004, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by aiwaskiw
Can't see how it would be a alignment issue since the steering does not pull to the left or right. Also have not drove other 04 runners to see if they do the same thing but if they do it's pretty sad........... will be making a appointement with the dealer.

thnks for reply..........
Incorrect Tow alignment could cause the vehicle to pull to the left of right.

Incorrect Caster alignment could cause exaclty what you are talking about.

The Tow could be fine, but Caster could still be out of spec.
Just have them do an alignment. Geez, its a new truck its not that much to ask.