Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

SR5 to Limited Need 'stuff'

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 08:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking SR5 to Limited Need 'stuff'

Started another dress-up project. Started adding Limited items to my 1998 SR5 4Runner. So here is a question, has anyone here put power seats in their manual seat 4Runner? I know that some auto companies will install harnesses that come pre-made for just about every option so they can be added in the build process. I haven't pulled my seats yet to see if the plugs/connectors are there for power seats or not so thought I would ask to see if anyone here has done this. If not, might be an interesting project to install the harness for full power seating ... Must check the wrecking yard next trip.

Anyway, I am looking for pieces that I haven't been able to find in a bone yard yet. If anyone has a wrecked Limited, or knows of one I could use the following pieces:

Interior trim:
Left side door pulls front and rear, normally these are part of the door panels so those too if necessary but only really need the upper halves of the panels
Drivers seat (manual or power doesn't matter)
Center console leather trimmed cover
Wood grain trim:
door/window switch covers all 4
gauge cluster trim
upper center console trim (radio)
center console trim (shifter-automatic)

Thanks for the help and I do plan on finishing up my write-ups on the reverse gauges and the FMU install. ;>)
Old 08-21-2007, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you happen to run across more than one set of wood grain trim let me know. I am wanting an upgrade over my silver
Old 08-22-2007, 02:51 AM

Someone brought up retro fitting power seats the other day on one of 4Runner forums. From memory, apparently the factory wiring is not there for the seats. Hook up via 30amp window switch feeds. Only down side is the seats will only function when the ignition is on.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:19 AM

I wish you guys that wanted wood grain trim were closer to me. Id meet up and swap you my wood trim for the SR5 trim in a hearbeat!!
Old 08-22-2007, 04:11 AM

Where are you located TRD 4Runnin11, I would consider trading SR5 for wood trim.

Of course, before I offer, I should probably take a good look and see what kind of condition mine is in.... the truck really isn't babied and it has 210 000 miles on it.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Farmerunner
Where are you located TRD 4Runnin11, I would consider trading SR5 for wood trim.

Of course, before I offer, I should probably take a good look and see what kind of condition mine is in.... the truck really isn't babied and it has 210 000 miles on it.
I am in Lima, Ohio ....a nice drive from you lol...
Old 08-22-2007, 04:58 PM

Are you doing the exterior stuff as well?
Old 08-24-2007, 09:00 PM

TRD, I would be open to swapping trim parts they are not very expensive to ship. I can take pics of what you want and if you can do the same, we can make this happen! Lets do the swap. LMK

Whitey13, I don't know what 'exterior' things can be added that are really different from an SR5 except for badging. Ohhh thats right, the fender flares were color coded .... maybe not that extreme but something to think about, I am having a tough enough time just finding a limited that is the same year grouping read that Gen 3 that hasn't already been gutted so color coded fender flares may be a stretch, but hey you never know. Oh, and mine is Desert Dune!

Did they do special factory driving lights or other interesting options? I have modded the exterior some already with JDM tail lights and clear front bumper lights. Painted the OEM skid plate but still want to put a Toyota logo on it. (Look at my avatar pic) Decided to keep the OEM side lights, the yellow reflector is fine. I have rear grill tail light guards coming. NOt too sure what other Limited exterior stuff there is but I am willing to learn! Don't know what I will do with the SR 5 seats just yet. They are all in REALLY nice condition. So if anyone is interested in swaps or pruchase I can email pics of what ever you want.

Seats: I was a bit afraid of the fact the harness may not be there. I may check the next runner limited I find to see how extensive the seat harness are and where they actually go, hook up etc and then try to get a yard guy to sell me it cheap (yeah right). I know to some it may seem to be more work then its worth but isn't that pretty much true of what we do to these things when we customize them anyway?

Thanks for the infor and I will still be listening for suggestions, offers and parts
Old 08-31-2007, 05:07 AM

Still lookin, still listening for offers or ideas
Old 08-31-2007, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
Whitey13, I don't know what 'exterior' things can be added that are really different from an SR5 except for badging. Ohhh thats right, the fender flares were color coded ....

D
The body cladding on the doors too.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:38 AM

I've got the woodgrain shift bezel out of a 99 in perfect condition. I don't know how much it's worth but I could ship it to you.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:51 AM

easttntoy, if you could take a pic of the shift bezel that would be gr8, let me know what you need to get for this too, I have an automatic with 4WD. My zip is 98310. Thanks

Whitey13, good catch, but I like the clean look of the SR5 doors so I won't do the cladding. Don't want to drill the body if I don't ahve to, that is just an invite to rust!
Old 09-06-2007, 10:55 AM

Bump Still looking for parts and pieces for the interior.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:57 PM

you would be much better off buying a limited
Old 09-08-2007, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by tahike
you would be much better off buying a limited
x2 IMHO...I sorted through dozens of perfect Limiteds since I wanted a manual tranny, which ofcourse wasn't in any of the Limiteds. There are a ton of very nice 4runners out there...good luck with swapping all the parts...very ambitious project there!

Old 09-08-2007, 05:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
tacoma seats

Originally Posted by blarchitect
Someone brought up retro fitting power seats the other day on one of 4Runner forums. From memory, apparently the factory wiring is not there for the seats. Hook up via 30amp window switch feeds. Only down side is the seats will only function when the ignition is on.

I did this on my 03 Tacoma. It did take alot of research and nights on ebay, but I bid and won a set of power seats from a G6 and put them in. I wanted some 4runner seats, but I could never find any for a good price. Theses seats turned out to be awesome and they got great reviews on the net.

Anyway, the seats are "switched" so there is constant power to the seat and they only get power when you move the lever to move it forward or back. They are also heated so that will be nice in the winter.

I have a writeup somewhere. I will find it if you want to read up on it.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's one link to a writeup I did on Customtacos. I think I may have posted more pics on TTORA, but I couldn't find it. Anyway, if you have questions, ask away.

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...=seats+pontiac
Old 09-08-2007, 06:49 PM

AWESOME Thanks!

Been busy yesterday and today ... found the inside door panels off a 2000 SR5 that had leather interior option ... rodents! No front seats! All 4 doors were pretty mangled (roll over) but the panels were pretty good shape. Looking to put in the wood trim as soon as I can find it or swap with trd! Considering the 99 mod I read about. Well within my capabilities. Also looking to install one of those day/night rear view mirrors. Foujd one on a 1999 Surburban. Was able to get the schematic for it from the Chevy dealer. Ot uses an external sensor for the temp input so I should be able to hook it up and make it function for temp and the auto darkening feature as well. If I start I will keep post infor about the mod with pics. If any one is interested, I can post pics on the door panel install, really quite easy. Thats all for now, so if anyone has any information or parts to offer up on my project I would appreciate it! Have a gr8 weekend! Thanks to those who have been providing some GR8 inputs and suggestions!

AustinTaco-Sound like a gr8 project, I would really enjoy seeing/reading your write up on the seats. My Runner has manual seats so putting in power and hooking it up would be sweet indeed! Thanks very much!

mabrodis, I wish I could find more 4Runners around here. They are NOT very plentiful in wrecking yards here where I live and the ones that are here are picked pretty hard as soon as they hit the back lots. Have so many to chose from would make it a lot easier and cheaper thats for sure. Finding limited stuff is tough and its spendy!

As for tahike, well, I don't like to flame anyone but how does your statement contribute anything to this thread? Is that all you can say to me that I would be "better off" just buying a limited ... I would love to hear your explaination of that staement. I hope your contribution to this forum is better then your advice/recommendations so far .... Should be interesting to see the mods you've done, Can't wait to hear how many different mods and additions you have planned to do to that 1999 Limited ...
Old 09-13-2007, 03:47 PM

Hey buddy, I've been really busy lately but I will check on shipping for that shift bezel. I just bought a manual one from the dealership and it was 85 bones. I think 30 bucks would be fair.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
im not exactly sure buut the interior from the 96-98 4Runners were a lil dif from the 99-02 Runners i would get pics of the shift bezel and make sure.

Im not tryin to screw u out of a deal easttntoy im just trying to look out for ritzy

Last edited by 881stGenRunner; 09-15-2007 at 07:08 AM.

Quick Reply: SR5 to Limited Need 'stuff'