Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

and so the final chapter begins .... =(

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 09:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and so the final chapter begins .... =(

well I started breaking down the truck today. I had dropped off the truck on thursday to have the sliders cut off. They guys still hadn't done it by today. So this morning I cut them off myself. I now have thousand pieces of shrapnel in both my arms. Everyone is worried about eye protection. No one mentioned wearing full sleeve shirts.

So the sliders are cut off, the frame rail is grinded down nice and smooth. The frame rail also had been painted, and the sliders have been blasted with CLR, and have gotten their first coat of paint as well. I can't praise the stubb sliders enough. I beat the crap out of them, and they're still pretty much flawless.

The truck looks so naked now without them on there. Seriously taking this thing apart is like asking a kid to take his dog out in the field and shooting him.

pics coming shortly
Old 10-02-2004, 09:17 AM
Contributing Member

what are you doing with it? Sorry if i missed thsi from earlier
Old 10-02-2004, 09:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Landon_Toast
what are you doing with it? Sorry if i missed thsi from earlier

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f5/my-plans-41145/
Old 10-02-2004, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

oh ok...well good luck on that
Old 10-02-2004, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

ok the sliders are beutiful and ready to be shipped tomorrow or monday at the latest. Thank you 98lmitednewbie, and Richard at stubbs for letting me know how to do it.

I removed the vent visors next. The front two are cracked, but the back two are good so if someone needs a replacement let me know.

I've been trying to scrap off those damn TRD decals and they don't peel off nicely, I have to scrap with my finger nail, and then clean it up with some acetone to get the residue off completely. One side is done, but my finger nails are gone, so I'll wait till someone gets home to do the other side for me.

Next up is the snorkel. ...
Old 10-02-2004, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how are you gonna fix the hole where the snorkel was?

I'm sorry for the sale but you will be ok and maybe someday when you have time, can again get an older vehicle and enjoy it. Until then have fun with what you get.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:58 PM

remind me to smack you when i see you

but ill trade you fender and snorkel for my fender....

but it wont match.
Old 10-02-2004, 03:28 PM
Contributing Member

ok this was a little longer then expected. Since I was working in the area, I also went ahead and removed the compressor. I'm going to miss this thing. It took me forever to get all the little parts together to make this compressor work.

The snorkel is out. Right now it has painted duct tape on it. There is a member on the board here who can paint, and I'm going to make him an offer on the snorkel in exchange for some painting. If he doesn't take it, then I'll just buy a new one and offer up the snorkel, tacoma adaptor, and the quarter panel (so you don't have to cut yours) all for one super price. Dont ask me yet, I don't know, let me see if it works out with this guy first.

I also rotated the antenna back around, so now it goes up straight instead of off to the side.

I also replaced the tail lights back to stock. woohoo. I don't know what I was thinking with those alteezas.

I also removed the tint from the windows. B/c it wont pass Md inspection with tint on the front window or the front windshield.

thats going to be it for today and probably this weekend. I'll work on the suspension this week, and I need to pick up some tires for these new rims I got. and then I'll have the 33" MT/Rs for sale as well as the five star black painted rims.

Last edited by sdastg1; 10-02-2004 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-02-2004, 05:09 PM

Hair dryer is the best thing to get decals off, heat them up and they'll whip right off.
Old 10-02-2004, 05:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fpkelly
Hair dryer is the best thing to get decals off, heat them up and they'll whip right off.
these aren't the vinyl ones. its those chrome looking metallic stickers. Very thin.
Old 10-02-2004, 05:47 PM

the sticker material is Mylar
Old 10-02-2004, 05:48 PM

you need a set of street tires? i have an almost new set of michelin ltx m/s. $600
Old 10-02-2004, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by runnerboy97
you need a set of street tires? i have an almost new set of michelin ltx m/s. $600

I'm putting el cheapo dunflops on for $101/tire installed. unless someone has something cheaper
Old 10-03-2004, 07:29 PM

Let me know about the MTR, I have some like new Michelins for a partial trade.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:53 AM

I totally know where you are coming from, i was in the same situation about a year and half ago and that is why i havent been around in such a long time not that anyone would really remember me anyway. I to wanted buy another truck which ended up as 84 4runner so that i could try some of the harder stuff. It took me from then until now just to realize how much i missed my 96 runner and being able to drive the truck to the trails and ride them and then drive back home, the old 4runner just wasnt worth the time or money for me but i did have a lot of fun working on it and learned a lot. I think a late model tj is a great idea and if was to get in to the hard stuff again i would either go with one of those or build a buggy. i have seen a lot of them perform really well especailly the ones with the long arm kits and the ford 8.8 axle in the rear. I dont however understand why you are parting out the 4runner? But it is fine with me because i could use a lot of those parts. If you plan on selling the compressor let me know and also the arb too i am very interested. Also by the way i am putting my old 4runner in the for sale section if any one is interested in a built solid axle toyota.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:16 AM

Let me know how much you want for those MTRs.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

ok the MT/Rs and the rims are sold .. and I got me some tires. thanks Milan!

the Extremeair has been spoken for, and the locker will probably be pulled in a week or so.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:34 PM
Contributing Member

I may have missed it but did you ever answer the guy above that asked about the snorkelled fender? if you need one, I'd swap mine with you.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by keisur
I may have missed it but did you ever answer the guy above that asked about the snorkelled fender? if you need one, I'd swap mine with you.
I have a deal with bamachem pending on the snorkel. If doesn't work out, I'll pm you.

thanks

side note: The new michelins, and rims are on. But the center caps aren't fitting. I'll take a pic and post it tomorrow
Old 10-09-2004, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member

alright. I'll keep my ears open then. it'd be good to since our paint is the same.

Quick Reply: and so the final chapter begins .... =(