Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Smelly Converter

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Smelly Converter

Now that I think of it I got another question for the guys with the 3.4's. Is there anyone else out there whose Catalytic Converter reeks?? Mines' a 98 tacoma and MAN!! This thing smells. I happened to notice it even more today because it was nice and i had my windows down. I had this thing to 2 stealerships and they both said that there ain't nothing wrong with the Converter and that It's the gas i'm running. Now I've been around cars for a long time and i always remember that if a converter reeks it's a good sign that it's going bad. Any suggestions??
Old 04-15-2003, 07:09 PM

What octane of fuel are you running in it?
Old 04-15-2003, 07:17 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I've smelled mine a couple times, but only when I was leaning out the door and backing up slowly on some offroad trails, but it's not to horrible. I would also be curious to know what may cause it to smell though..
Old 04-16-2003, 05:15 AM

I've run all types. 87 Mostly. 89 in the summer becuase i'm not sure if it the cleaning burning fuels or what but I get some pinging in the summer months. THe thieves at the dealership said that it's the gas I'm running and to try a different brand. I tried that but it's the same thing. I also heard that the fuels up here in the Northeast have a high concentration of sulfur in them but I think that ones far fetched. Everyones vehicle would smell then. I gotta do something about this..........It's embaressing pulling up to a group of women in a convertable with my truck smelling...........they probably think it's me!!!
Old 04-16-2003, 06:11 AM

From what I remember, it's usually caused by running rich. I could be wrong though. How many miles do you have?
Maybe it's time for a new O2 sensor?
Just a thought.
Todd
Old 04-16-2003, 11:47 AM

That's a good point. However the one dealership did hook it up to the diagnotic machine and said that my fuel mixture was in line and that the O2 sensor wasn't getting lazy.
It's only got 76K on it. That's why I'm trying to get something figured out before my 80K emission warranty is up.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

Can you describe the smell in further detail?

Is it like a ?

Or like unburnt fuel?

Sulfur?

I have never heard of a cat going out with your type of mileage and no cause. Do you have any mods to the fuel system?
Old 04-16-2003, 01:37 PM
Contributing Member

I used to get the same thing thing- it wasn't real consistent for me, couldn't figure out where it was coming from for the longest time. I've since done the ISR Mod and deckplate mod, and haven't noticed it in a while- coincidence? I don't know, but if anything, my engine is probably running leaner than it was before.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:35 AM

The truck is all stock. The only thing i just did recently was the deckplate mod. However it stunk even way before that. It is probably the same as it was before.

As to describe the smell..........Let's just say picture a group of construction guys just getting off the job and eating about 3 dozen eggs at lunch time. About that bad! Bad Sulfur Smell.

How are your guys MPG? I get about 18-19 and it's all highway driving. I'm wondering if maybe that the Cat is plugged up and the MPG is reflecting that.
Old 04-17-2003, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Mikey
How are your guys MPG? I get about 18-19 and it's all highway driving. I'm wondering if maybe that the Cat is plugged up and the MPG is reflecting that.
I average 17.2 right now. I dont think your bad off.

Have you had an emissions test while this smell was going on?
That might help convince the dealer the cat is failing, if at all.

Sounds like the 02 sensor to me...have you tested that?
Old 04-17-2003, 06:53 AM

They did the emmission test to on it and said that everything is fine. I'm not sure if there pulling my leg or what but all i know is that I'm not going to be able to pick up any chicks in this thing!!:cry:

They also ran a diagnotic on it and said that the O2 sensor is operating fine. IS the O2 sensor covered under the emission warranty part?
Old 04-17-2003, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

I'm not sure if there pulling my leg or what but all i know is that I'm not going to be able to pick up any chicks in this thing!!
First of all, if a chick wont ride with you or talk to you because your truck has an emissions problem, then she isnt worth it anyway.

IS the O2 sensor covered under the emission warranty part? [/B]
I dont believe it is covered. But, it might be worth checking into. What you need to do, is to start documenting everything - get on the phone with Toyota USA. Start working up the chain of command. Be sure to act professional at all times. You can get this taken care of, but you need to work quickly as your mileage is ticking away.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:00 AM

That's a good idea. I still have all my invoices and stuff from getting it looked at. I have an appointment once again next week to try and get this taken care of. But until then I'll get all my stuff lined up.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:02 PM

Try to switch to the low sulfuric gasoline if you can find in your area. I did it a few months ago, the smell reduced greatly. I did phone the Toyota Customer Care last year, they said that it had nothing to do with the smell or vehicle. It was just a gasoline.

The sulfuric smell occurred when the throttle was wide open for a while during an uphill driving then suddenly shut, which is normal. When the oxygen sensor smells a strong odor coming out from the engine, the ECT would cut down the fuel delivery at the fuel injection within about 2 seconds, the reason why it delays, is because it "stand by" for suddenly throttle opening for quicker response to punch up the engine. That’s what my former service advisor explained me. He said that the oxygen sensor should be last very long as long as the engine/oxygen sensor warning light does not come on as a failure. I used had my old ’89 4Runners with V6, it had been gone over 265K miles without replacing the sensor, the emission test was passed every two years without a problem.

Before, I switched the gasoline; my 4Runners' first emission test took in place in Colorado last year. The mileage was about 120K. I was kind of worried about this at first because larger 33" tires and had not changed the axle gear ratio (4.11). I thought my rig would fail, but it did pass with a flying color. I looked at the test result sheet, all numbers shown almost flat zero as clean as new car. I guess that the emission test station never bothers to check on the sulfur gases, they only test on the common gases.

Your state may set the different emission allowance limit. I think you should be fine with the emission test. Good Luck.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:19 PM

Thanks for the advice Red Chili's!! I appreciate your input. There isn't any low sulfur gasoline that I know of in PA. I think that maybe I'll call toyota on this one and see if there having problems with certain types of gas or if they know of any low sulfur content gasolines.

I do happen to notice that when I come of the Freeway that I can really smell it, or if I'm running it real hard. If it's idling away then I don't happen to notice it as much. What I don't understand is that my girlfriend has a Solara and her car doesn't smell. I wonder if it's specific to the Tacomas/4 runners?
Old 04-18-2003, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Mikey
What I don't understand is that my girlfriend has a Solara and her car doesn't smell.
And why are you trying to pick up chicks?

Your girlfriend must love this method of keeping the chicks away!
Old 04-19-2003, 04:38 AM

Yeah, you got me!! She's probably the one stuffing a dozen eggs in my gas tanks every morning!!!