Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Sluggish starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Sluggish starting issues

Past few weeks, only in the morning, when the truck has been sitting a while, there is a slow start. Like the battery is low. Bought a new battery since I had the last one for like 3 years.

Still doing it. Not every day, just maybe like 3 times a week, but, its really making me worried.

1) Alternator
2) Some sort of slow battery drain?

Whats going on here? How can i see if there is some sort of electricity drain?
Old 11-17-2007, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How old are your spark plugs? I replaced mine with NGK and it starts alot faster.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:37 AM
Contributing Member

My spark plugs are less than 6 mo old. They are NGK too.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
--Poor grounds or poor power connections.
--Failing starter
--Very low output alternator

Can take alternator and starter to parts house and have them tested.

Check where battery ground wire goes to engine block. Check the block to
chassis ground wire at back of motor. Put a dab of grease at these points when they are reconnected.

Could be parasitic drain but unlikely.

Tuneup won't help this problem since its inconsistent.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SEAIRESCUE
--Poor grounds or poor power connections.
--Failing starter
--Very low output alternator

Can take alternator and starter to parts house and have them tested.

Check where battery ground wire goes to engine block. Check the block to
chassis ground wire at back of motor. Put a dab of grease at these points when they are reconnected.

Could be parasitic drain but unlikely.

Tuneup won't help this problem since its inconsistent.
Great information. Thankyou, I will check those spots...

Yeah, I don't really see what would be draining the battery... Starter seems like its ok...

Almost seems like the alternator isn't putting out the juice anymore. Maybe I'll try bringing it to get tested.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:18 PM

FYI if you have a slow crank that wouldn't be spark plugs.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:47 PM

Check out this https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123...ac-pics-92286/ You may need to clean your throttle body.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:01 PM

I think he is describing a slow crank. The motor is turning over slowly. Not that it is cranking at normal speed but taking a long time to start. So it's not going to be a fuel, air, or spark issue if this is the case.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 98runner210
I think he is describing a slow crank. The motor is turning over slowly. Not that it is cranking at normal speed but taking a long time to start. So it's not going to be a fuel, air, or spark issue if this is the case.
Right. The crank it self is slow. Once started, its fine. It just seems as if the starter is really struggling to turn the motor over!!!! Starter or alternator is my guess so far... Anyone have experience in taking out the starter or alt on the 3.4?
Old 11-17-2007, 02:28 PM

there are plenty or write ups on removing the starter for the contact replacement issue. The alternator is pretty easy, and straightfoward. I replaced mine twice and the only problem I had was getting the new one in. The alt was the exact same size as the bracket so it woouldn't go in. I grinded it down just a bit and it slid in perfectly.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 98runner210
there are plenty or write ups on removing the starter for the contact replacement issue. The alternator is pretty easy, and straightfoward. I replaced mine twice and the only problem I had was getting the new one in. The alt was the exact same size as the bracket so it woouldn't go in. I grinded it down just a bit and it slid in perfectly.
Great, thats good to know...
Old 11-18-2007, 12:46 PM
Contributing Member

Kinda funny i have been having the same issue sometimes. I am almost positive that it is the alternator. I went on a long drive awhile back and the next day it started like it should, like th battery was fully charged. Needless to say i am harder on the battery/alternator than some people........

So i am replaceing it with this as soon as i get the $$$: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...104508284&rd=1

then i just need to get the dual batteries figured out (have NO idea how i am going to do that one yet, all the old writeups pictures are missing...)
Old 11-19-2007, 03:33 AM

what kind of amps do the stock alts throw out from factory? they seem weak to me............... also another thought, check your belts.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:05 AM
Contributing Member

Well I did a voltage test from the alternator, and its putting out 14 volts, which is normal. And the battery has had a full charge... Sooo, I'm guessing its not the alternator now!!

Looks like the starter. Oh boy.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:18 AM

very well could be.. now you can get a new or reman'd starter or you can replace the contacts yourself.. cheaper for the contacts but it takes a few hours bc its a biotch (from what i heard). someone will post a link to the write up on replacing the contacts
Old 11-19-2007, 06:19 AM

now in my taco, if it sits for a couple of days without running OR its pretty cold outside it takes it an extra second to crank.. sounds like its weak but it usually fires up.. so i dunno if thats just the nature of the beast or what
Old 11-20-2007, 07:29 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, its pretty weird. Because, I know when Ford starters go out, they go "click, click, click, click". This just takes a little while, and in the morning is about 2-3 turns of the key to make it even go.

I think I might get a re-manned one. I mean, aren't there a million different issues that a starter could have? Its a bunch of parts in there. Who knows...

hmm.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:12 AM

yeah mine isnt that bad. i just turn the key and it takes an extra second to fire when really cold or sitting for a few days
Old 11-20-2007, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Kinda funny i have been having the same issue sometimes. I am almost positive that it is the alternator. I went on a long drive awhile back and the next day it started like it should, like th battery was fully charged. Needless to say i am harder on the battery/alternator than some people........

So i am replaceing it with this as soon as i get the $$$: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...104508284&rd=1

then i just need to get the dual batteries figured out (have NO idea how i am going to do that one yet, all the old writeups pictures are missing...)
Texas: I would be very wary of that... I e-mailed a seller of that alternator (not sure if it was the same one or not) and asked if was a TRUE 170amp alternator and that I could test it at work with our Snap On tester. I never got a reply... sounded kinda fishy to me and I asked a local alternator/starter rebuilder and he said our alternators could not be rewound to put more amperage. I did find an aftermarket rebuilder that could custom make one to fit but at a price of $450. I tend to shy away from ebay automotive parts now after I've been screwed over with knockoffs.
To the topic: It looks like to me your starter is dragging.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ironmike4x4
Texas: I would be very wary of that... I e-mailed a seller of that alternator (not sure if it was the same one or not) and asked if was a TRUE 170amp alternator and that I could test it at work with our Snap On tester. I never got a reply... sounded kinda fishy to me and I asked a local alternator/starter rebuilder and he said our alternators could not be rewound to put more amperage. I did find an aftermarket rebuilder that could custom make one to fit but at a price of $450. I tend to shy away from ebay automotive parts now after I've been screwed over with knockoffs.
To the topic: It looks like to me your starter is dragging.
Interesting, i know that i have seen high-amp alternators for our trucks though. I might have to look for another one, anyone got a good suggestion?

Quick Reply: Sluggish starting issues