Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Slider group buy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do these look like on a 3rd gen runner?

Will they fit w/ the Limited body cladding? (yeah, I took the silly running boards off)

You guys think Steve would weld these on for me? haha

I'm about 75% ready to do this. Just a few ?'s....

Dan
Old 05-15-2003, 08:17 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by asudan96Runner
What do these look like on a 3rd gen runner?

Dan
Bill has pics here.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...threadid=10694

I think this is great the guy is willing to do a grouper here.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:22 PM

i'd probably be interested but im wondering how much it'd cost me to get these welded on (i live in az incase any of you fellow az yotatech members are welders)
Old 05-15-2003, 10:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi all;

Richard and I have talked a bit about the business side of this and he did end up sharing his background info with me on how he came to the pricing of $185. I don't feel comfortable passing it on, but I can tell you that it's actually _below_ where he feels that he breaks even on making a set. These aren't a quick build.. There's about 3 1/2 hours of real time involved in each set.

His normal pricing for a set of these is $245, and he does sell them for that. If you look at some of his ebay auctions, you'll find that they're commonly going for _more_ than the price he's offering to the group.

To head off the question - he runs the eBay auctions as a form of marketing. He figures that it's worth it to him to lose money on one set, because that one set can hopefully turn into a couple of full-price sales. Personally, I think that's a fine bit of strategy on his part and I'm sure it works out for him.

At $185, we're basically getting a 25% discount over his normal pricing. We've all heard from 3 (4?) of his previous customers with nothing but praise for him, his quality and the specific product at hand.

If you're not comfortable with the price, then that's okay. But I think that we're getting a solid deal. I would have been happy paying $200.

Mark
Old 05-15-2003, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by Tacoma Dude
Besides... $185 is about what it's going for on the auctions.
This is true, but here, Richard is offering a set at a firm price... His last two auctions went for $188 and $192.

It's like anything else on eBay... you take your chances with getting a deal on a current model product. What Richard is bringing to the table here is the ability to not wait out an auction and take a chance that you can save $5-10. Of course, that can work both ways and you can end up paying $5-10 more than you would elsewhere... like, say, from a group buy on a Toyota forum.

On your welding question... My GF recently completed a welding class offered at the local community college. The key thing that she learned is that it takes time and skill to weld for strength. "Anyone" can shoot a weld that will keep Gumby's arm above his head, but to get a solid weld that is stronger than the metal it's binding is an art in itself.

You may want to check your local college to see if they offer a night/weekend class on welding - many do. I think she paid $130 for the class and spent another $150 on materials (helmet, gloves, skull cap, tip, etc). It was well worth it to her.

Last edited by midiwall; 05-15-2003 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

Count me in. I'll shoot you a PM. Anyone out there know a good welder in the Southern California area?
Old 05-16-2003, 07:45 AM
Contributing Member

OOOoooOOOooOOooH!

I think I'll sign up for a class when I get a chance
Old 05-16-2003, 10:55 AM

how much does welding usually cost? for example, for sliders??
Old 05-16-2003, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

I paid $50
Old 05-16-2003, 01:24 PM

Salue sdastg1 wildbill
Thank you all so much for coming forward with such kind words. I really appreciate your comments. The funny thing is I was alerted to this thread , and when I came over to look here I find a couple of customers that I had already delivered product to- I was shocked to say the least. We (stubbswelding.com) are a small company , and to see the word speading so quickly around the internet is mind boggling. One thing that I want to stress here is that I dont want to be a "BIG" company. Simply put I want to continue to make a decent living but do so in a manner that I know I am always keeping my customers happy (ie delivering on time- best prices(they are too!!! go check www.allprooffroad.com) code type attention to the welds & joints- basically I want to make the nicest set of sliders for a fair price.

Now I did not come on here to be a "pimp" for my company, and this will be the ONLY post I do to this thread- WHY- because not only is it wrong for me to try to sell my products here on someone elses dime but more importantly I want my past customers to be my "true advertising" hence the reason for actually doing a group buy.

I will remain a member on this board since I would like to see as much of the "Online Toyota Community" as I can. This board can help me find out what more people want & like for their Toyotas'.
Also I think that maybe I can help you guys with technical welding questions or general fabrication questions. I am a firm beliver when I say everybody needs a welding machine. If anyone has any welding related questions from where to buy online to whats the best machine for the money email me , and I can help! I love welding & fabrication , and if I had more time I'd teach it full time.

The last thing is although I will answer questions about the sliders through email or telephone I will not get in the middle of the group buy that Mpulver set up. If anyone would like a PDF file of the instructions(4 pages) I can email it to you asap! However make sure your email states in the title that you want instructions because I am swamped with emails about sliders (sometimes 35+ a day!) unreal eh!?

Have a great weekend yotatech board!,
Richard Stubbs
email stubbswelding@yahoo.com
web www.stubbswelding.com

PS- SALUE & SDASTG1 send me some pictures for the customers rides section of the new website. thanks again you guys. Wildbill already let me use his!

one more note-I will be watching this thread but like I said before I cannot answer "specific slider"questions here. Again this is Mpulvers deal.

***CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS*** need to remember that we are a California business , and therefore our very broke state wants your money:cry: so if your sliders ship to a Cal address you must add 7.25% sales tax---there is nothing I can do about this. If you think the IRS is bad try dealing with the Board of Equalization! They are ruthless, and I can only imagine what this year will be like when they have to come up with 34,000,000,000 deficit-watchout Cal retailers-Be perfect with your records cause the hunt will be on I'm sure.

Last edited by weldpro; 05-16-2003 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-16-2003, 04:08 PM

Welcome to the forum Richard. Lots of good people here. You still didn't say when you're gonna let me take that rock buggy for a spin .
Old 05-17-2003, 08:37 AM

Wahoo! Hi Richard!

Hey Bill? I've had a couple of people ask about finishing the sliders, i.e. what to paint them with and what to do about creating a no-slip surface on the top. Can I ask you to share a few words about what you did with yours?

Thank you!

Mark
Old 05-17-2003, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by mpulver
Wahoo! Hi Richard!

Hey Bill? I've had a couple of people ask about finishing the sliders, i.e. what to paint them with and what to do about creating a no-slip surface on the top. Can I ask you to share a few words about what you did with yours?

Thank you!

Mark
Ah I just sprayed it with some rattle can rustoleum primer and black semi-gloss. I would not use anything else because it will get scratched up. Speaking of which I now have a testimonial. But dangit no pictures:pat: . I went wheeling today with Data and a couple other guys at the superlift off road park in arkansas. Well my genius ass threw a bead while straddling a narrow gulley. There would have been no way to jack it by the bumper. Just slipped the hi-lift under the slider, got it up in the air, had the spare on in about 10 minutes. I can't imagine having to have done this without the sliders. They held up great.
Old 05-17-2003, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by Wild_Bill
Ah I just sprayed it with some rattle can rustoleum primer and black semi-gloss. I would not use anything else because it will get scratched up.
Ahh... good point. Did you do anything about a no-slip surface on top?

Speaking of which I now have a testimonial. But dangit no pictures:pat: . I went wheeling today with Data and a couple other guys at the superlift off road park in arkansas. Well my genius ass threw a bead while straddling a narrow gulley. There would have been no way to jack it by the bumper. Just slipped the hi-lift under the slider, got it up in the air, had the spare on in about 10 minutes. I can't imagine having to have done this without the sliders. They held up great.
Kickin'!
Old 05-17-2003, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by mpulver
Ahh... good point. Did you do anything about a no-slip surface on top?

Well I bought about 10 feet of 3M non-slip tape, but after this weekend I'm not sure I'm going to put it on. The sliders have been wet and my kids didn't slip getting in. But the main thing is I noticed when I get out that the back of my leg naturally slides down the side of the slider (it sticks out further than nerf bars), and I don't feel like getting abraded everytime I get out. I'm pretty happy with them as-is.
Old 05-17-2003, 07:44 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Bill, not sure if you have seen my sliderz write-up or not.
It's on my home page, and also on the forum here under the sliderz round-up.
https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/arti...z_round_up.htm

I had the 3M tape on, but took it off in October, then got the sliderz powder coated.
I cut up my legs a few times, that tape is dangerous.
One time I ripped the back side of my leg open real good.

I find with just the powder coating on, it is not slippery at all.
I stand on them when accessing the roof rack and also at rig wash time.
Old 05-17-2003, 11:46 PM

OK, any deadline on these? I'm about ready to jump on board as well!! These are weld only I'm assuming, or did I miss that part?
Old 05-18-2003, 12:36 AM
Contributing Member

as opposed to a clamp type?
Yup... weld only.

I believe next week Wednesday was the last day to committ... you'll have to rewind a page, I think.
Old 05-18-2003, 12:51 AM

Originally posted by Tacoma Dude
as opposed to a clamp type?
Yup... weld only.

I believe next week Wednesday was the last day to committ... you'll have to rewind a page, I think.
TD's got it...

They're weld-on only and I'm gonna send off the info gathering to Richard on Wednesday. There's some background info on the previous page as well.

Let me repeat here what I'm looking for. For those that want to hop on, please send me a normal email (mark@midiwall.com) with the following info:
  • Name
  • Full shipping address
  • Phone number
  • Alias here on YotaTech
  • Regular email address (Richard is not really here on the forum
  • Expected form of payment, (PayPal or MO)
  • Year, make and model of your rig
I promise to not share this info with anyone else but Richard.

I have confirmation info from 6 people. Any more or less won't affect the price at this point.

Thanks for the interest!

Mark
Old 05-18-2003, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

Does anyone know of a good weld shop in Orange County/Southern California?

Quick Reply: Slider group buy!!!