Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Slick roads in 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slick roads in 2wd

I commute 25 miles each way to work. I have had my 4Runner for 1.5 years, and really the first time I have driven an entire winter with it. Last week it really started to get cold, and ice began to form on the interstate and highway between work and home. As I was driving home on the interstate, aprox. 65mph, the rear end began to fishtail. I was able to take control and keep myself from driving into the ditch. I began to slow down and it continued to want to swing out until I got off of the interstate. There was not accumulation of snow on the pavement as everything was blowing off. I was traveling in a straight line keeping a constant rpm and speed.

After doing some searching I discovered some others have experienced the rear end torque out while driving. Since this first occurrence, it has happened several times. I have about 1/4 of the tread left in the rear and less in the front on 245/75R16 Cooper Discovery ATRs. I do not experience any problems when snow is present, and in fact could not be more pleased with how it does with snow.

Do I need to add some more weight to the rear of the vehicle, or is it my tires?
Old 01-18-2008, 11:46 AM

Weight is always helpful, so a reduction in speed. Also were you using cruise control? Never use that on iffy roads. My other thought is maybe intermittent ice/snow so you have good grip then hit a patch and start fishtailing. When things get really greasy out my max speed is usually 45 mph tops. I'd rather be late than put my rig in the ditch.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

Ice is ice, so 2WD, 4WD, 6WD OR unicycle won't make a difference. Weight will help traction a bit in snow as will good tread and a knowledge of how your truck handles are your best bet. Chains or studs are a great help in icy and packed snow conditions.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:53 AM

I never use cruise when it is slick. I too believe in slowing down when the conditions are bad, I eventualy pulled off of the interstate because I nearly got hit because I was going so slow.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All tires behave differently on snow n ice. Typically softer tires w/ lots of voids and thick tread pattern perform better on ice.. More void ridge surface area to make contact and get grip than say a Mud Terrain. If you notice All-terrains (especially the bfg) have wacky tread patterns, if you stair to long you get dizzy, like its a big complicated maze of voids. This is bad for mud, but excellent for snow n ice.

However tread depth doesnt really seem to matter much on ice but does a lot in snow and other terrains. ... BUT as your tires wear the older the rubber gets and the harder it becomes which just sucks in any situation.

Remedy? Well, new tires or for now slow down and put some more weight back there.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Contributing Member

Dude you need a better hobby than stareing at tires
Old 01-18-2008, 12:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just did ice for portions of both ways to and from Colo. to Tulsa OK for Christmas. I have fairly new Nitto Terra Grapplers and they did just fine, but frequently in 2wd I would experience a small amount of fishtailing.

Go ahead and use that 4wd if you have it-for one thing it will help you to keep your speed down. 45mph as stated above would be a good maximum to use for 4hi. Frequently, I was going as slow as 25-30mph on I-70 across Kansas. The slower you keep your speed the more likely the vehicle will recover it's own equilibrium to return to a straight ahead path. Light touch on the brakes, plan ahead for miles for slowing down or evasive maneuvers.

So it is not necessarily your tires nor anything you can control, some ice conditions will just inherently cause more slippage. Temperature and texture of the roadway also play a big part in traction.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:24 PM

This is one of the reasons why I like my multi-mode 4WD system.

If you encounter this frequently, maybe you should get some snow tires? I believe Blizzaks or Alpline's add in crushed walnut shells for added grip. Not sure if it works that well, but in either case, snow tires would help in cold situations.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:27 PM

Have you thought of studded snows? I bought them for my old truck but kept them when I bought my 4Runner. I bought for interstate commutes. Ice is ice as someone above said but with a 50 mile daily commute they give you nice piece of mind. I'm a fan of the Nokian Hakkapalitas I've got I think 5 winters on them with maybe a little less than 50% tread left.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mattabilly
I'm a fan of the Nokian Hakkapalitas I've got I think 5 winters on them with maybe a little less than 50% tread left.
I will vouch for the Nokian Hakka's w/ studs. I had them on my old Integra (FWD) and seriously could go anywhere with them. It was amazing where I could go with those tires. I will say that they could be overkill for people that spend more time on dry pavement, than snow/ice, but like he said, it gives you a peace of mind.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:03 PM

I do know how well the newer snow tires work. I put a set of Toyo Garret snow tires with the walnut shells on my wife's Saab and they are awesome. I just don't know if I want snow tires for the Runner. Money better spent on other things.

I was more posting to see if this was a common occurrence for others. I wanted to see what was causing it. I am used to driving Subarus with AWD and the Cherokee I had in high school. I never experienced this type of situation with the Jeep, and defiantly not with the Subarus. It was acting like my dad's '69 Chevelle (soon to by mine I hope) when I would drive it during the winter. I know the tires and torque were to blame when I would consistently fishtail while driving on icy highways around Boise. I just didn't think this had enough torque to spin the rear end out.

How much weight should I be adding to the vehicle to help alleviate the problem?
Old 01-18-2008, 01:20 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by flyfishexpert
I commute 25 miles each way to work. I have had my 4Runner for 1.5 years, and really the first time I have driven an entire winter with it. Last week it really started to get cold, and ice began to form on the interstate and highway between work and home. As I was driving home on the interstate, aprox. 65mph, the rear end began to fishtail. I was able to take control and keep myself from driving into the ditch. I began to slow down and it continued to want to swing out until I got off of the interstate. There was not accumulation of snow on the pavement as everything was blowing off. I was traveling in a straight line keeping a constant rpm and speed.

After doing some searching I discovered some others have experienced the rear end torque out while driving. Since this first occurrence, it has happened several times. I have about 1/4 of the tread left in the rear and less in the front on 245/75R16 Cooper Discovery ATRs. I do not experience any problems when snow is present, and in fact could not be more pleased with how it does with snow.

Do I need to add some more weight to the rear of the vehicle, or is it my tires?

A find it a common problem here, too. And not just with the 4rnr. This is what I do and advise people as well

SLOW DOWN!!!!!
It's ICY. Generally the problem on ice is not the starting but the maintainig and stopping. With front wheel drive cars it seems to be more of the stopping thing and sometimes the maintaining thing.

Good luck, and if you don't heed the advice rememember that you stupidity equals my job security, I'm in the medical field thing. And if you send me business for your ice/speed thing, please be yourself and not a child. Stupidity that hurts children pisses me off.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4wd doesnt do jack in ice...thats why when its time for a new truck im getting 2wd.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My truck likes to kick the ass end out randomly too. I can usually hear when it breaks traction. The open diff is what I think causes it. Scares the crap out of me every time it does it. I take it as a cue to slow down.

Rob
Old 01-18-2008, 01:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i get this in my '98 as well. just today we had a light dusting of snow and in 2wd i could hardly get any traction. seems like my BFG ATs get snow stuck in the tread and turn to drag slicks, cuz i just spin. i'd hate to put more weight in there and see my gas mileage plummet below 10mpg, but if it means getting around in the winter i guess i'll have to. i know i can put it in 4wd, but all the roads are clear except for the occasional side road like my street and some parking lots, i just don't want to stop and shift into 4wd for a half block or 10 seconds to get through a parking lot, then stop and shift back. i'll try some sandbags!
Old 01-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Contributing Member

Uhm. you do know you can shift into 4WD on the fly right?! Not trying to be smart but your 98 will have no problem shifting to 4WD and then back without stopping. BTW I feel your pain on the MPG the winter blend fuel doesn't help either.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
A find it a common problem here, too. And not just with the 4rnr. This is what I do and advise people as well

SLOW DOWN!!!!!
It's ICY. Generally the problem on ice is not the starting but the maintainig and stopping. With front wheel drive cars it seems to be more of the stopping thing and sometimes the maintaining thing.

Good luck, and if you don't heed the advice rememember that you stupidity equals my job security, I'm in the medical field thing. And if you send me business for your ice/speed thing, please be yourself and not a child. Stupidity that hurts children pisses me off.
I am sorry, but I am a little offended by your comments. I was traveling slower than the speed limit and had slowed down to 45mph after the first occurrence, actually to the point where I was causing problems for others. I pulled off the interstate because I was nearly hit by trucks traveling much faster than myself.
I am not new to icy roads as I have lived in Idaho for 26 years. Everybody I know thinks of me as a cautious driver, and I am always asked to drive when conditions become poor. My question was regarding the tendencies of the Toyota 4Runner, not my driving habits. This is still a new vehicle to me. I am sure you have responded to numerous accidents involving people driving too fast given the road conditions. Perhaps I was driving too fast to begin with, but at 45mph I was still experiencing the problem. From the sounds of things, I am not the only one experiencing this problem.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
Originally Posted by ARB1977
4wd doesnt do jack in ice...thats why when its time for a new truck im getting 2wd.
because theres SO much ice and snow in texas. and why have 4wd anyway, all it does is help you have better traction offroad and in slippery conditions and is essentially everything a 2wd is and then some, very pointless
Old 01-18-2008, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dublin
Uhm. you do know you can shift into 4WD on the fly right?!
I know I can, but I do not feel comfortable engaging 4wd at highway speeds. Plus it is one more thing to think about when the rear end is sliding out.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by rdlsz24
My truck likes to kick the ass end out randomly too. I can usually hear when it breaks traction. The open diff is what I think causes it. Scares the crap out of me every time it does it. I take it as a cue to slow down.

Rob
If your back end is being kicked out with an open diff an LSD or locked diff would just make things worse. I think it's just a combination of little weight in the back and poor suspension geometry due to the solid axle leading to reduced grip. I feel like I can get the back end out easier in my 4Runner than I could in my m3.

Quick Reply: Slick roads in 2wd