Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Siphoning Gas

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Siphoning Gas

I know it's a bad idea to pump gas into a gas can from the pump at the gas station because of static electricity.

I want to know if the same rule applies when siphoning gas from a gas can into my gas tank.

My choices are (inorder of preference):
  1. Set the gas can on my fibergalss tonneau cover and siphon it from there.
  2. Set the gas can inside my truck bed on the rubber bedmat and siphon from there.
  3. Hold the 30 pound gas can in one hand and siphon with the other, hoping that I don't spill any and can hold it long enough.

I want to minimize the potential for static electricity. Thanks for any replies.

Last edited by Glenn; 06-23-2005 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've never heard of a issue dealing with static electricity and gas cans. is that a proven thing or is it like using a cell phone at a gas pump (proven inaccurate)?
Old 06-23-2005, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's fine to pump gas into a gas can as long as the can is on the ground. The can builds up static in peoples trunk, rubber mats, bed liners, etc, then the person touches the gas nozzle to the staticly charged can and hilarity ensues.

Just touch the can and the truck at the same time and it should discharge everything...kinda like touching the power supply of a computer before working on it.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:01 PM
Contributing Member

like robin hood sead theres no risk as long as you have it on the ground...remeber there is NO chance of static discharge from your body if your touching something metal and grounded...ie your truck.

dont EVER talk on a cell phone while pumping gas...they give off tons of static discharge....
Old 06-23-2005, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

^^i thought on mythbusters they disprooved that cellphones can cause a fire in that manner..
Old 06-23-2005, 01:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by doink
^^i thought on mythbusters they disprooved that cellphones can cause a fire in that manner..
Yup, besides that, how often does a solid state device give off a spark? Even if they do give a spark, what are the chances the right ratio of air/fuel is going to waft close enough to the phone to ignite? It ain't happenin'.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:37 PM
Contributing Member

Its true that cell phones do produce a lot of static electricity, via radio signal, spark from internal components and a vibrating ringer.
Its true oil companies as well as some cell phone companies (MOTOROLA, NOKIA) have advised that you should not be on the phone while pumping gas or on the phone in flammable vapor areas
But there hasn't been any truthfully documented cases supporting this claim. One claim of an explosion that was caused by a cell phone was proved later to be cause by a lit cigarette. 2 other claims were based from the Interent, one originating from a message board, the other was a copy of the first with slight differences in the story.

In 1999, David Rudd, a spokesman for Motorola, told the San Francisco Chronicle that his company's warning was because of the remote possibility that a dislodged battery cause cause a spark, not because of the transmission of radio signals.

It can happen, most likely by fuel vapors getting on your cell phone and the cell phone producing a electrostatic discharge. But more than likely the discharge will be distributed throughout your cell phone itself. Mythbusters episode 2 failed in every attempt to ignite an explosive chamber while using a cell phone in a highly flammable inclosed area.

But you are right, you shouldn't use your cell phone at a gas pump due to the possibility.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
I want to minimize the potential for static electricity.
I never thought about this when I was a teenager stealing gas off my neighbor
Old 06-23-2005, 03:49 PM
Contributing Member

I know it's a bad idea to pump gas into a gas can from the pump at the gas station because of static electricity.

I want to know if the same rule applies when siphoning gas from a gas can into my gas tank.

My choices are (inorder of preference):
  1. Set the gas can on my fibergalss tonneau cover and siphon it from there.
  2. Set the gas can inside my truck bed on the rubber bedmat and siphon from there.
  3. Hold the 30 pound gas can in one hand and siphon with the other, hoping that I don't spill any and can hold it long enough.

I want to minimize the potential for static electricity. Thanks for any replies.
Its not dangerous to fill a gas can at a gas station. They dont want you filling glass containers.

the gas can will need to be above the gas tank. So you can do this from the bed with a hose that runs up over the rail. If you are going to use your mouth to start it just be careful. If you start it and kink the hose real fast then put it into the tank you should be able to get it started....

They make siphoning devices to add in the starting process and to make it less messy plus more safe.

I wouldnt really worry about static discharge while doing this.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

I would think the most amount of static would be generated by the irritated owner of the vehical your siphoning from.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:09 PM

The gas is already in a Blitz can. My question deals with how to siphon it from the can into my gas tank using a siphon hose. It doesn't have anything to do with cell phones or mythbusters. I already know about having to have the can on the ground when filling the can, as my post originally stated.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:15 PM
Contributing Member

OH! well thats a horse of a different color. why not go spend a dollar, get a long funnel and use the funnel to get it in the tank?
Old 06-23-2005, 04:34 PM
Contributing Member

I don't see "gas can on the ground" anywhere.

As long as the can is above the gas tank and it has the same voltage as the rest of the truck, you'll be fine. Just don't slide it around much on insulating materials...kinda like walking around with socks on.

Just put the can up high and like I said, touch the can and the truck at the same time to discharge any static.

Last edited by Robinhood150; 06-23-2005 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

The gas is already in a Blitz can. My question deals with how to siphon it from the can into my gas tank using a siphon hose. It doesn't have anything to do with cell phones or mythbusters. I already know about having to have the can on the ground when filling the can, as my post originally stated.
then read my post a few up from yours....
Old 06-23-2005, 06:34 PM
Banned

i fill my gas tank in the trucks bed... however i have a metal gas tank and its on a metal mount mounted through the bed floor... its already grounded...... i also dont have a plastic bedliner or carpet or anything, and my gas can is metal..... no static from that
Old 06-23-2005, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by EWAYota
OH! well thats a horse of a different color. why not go spend a dollar, get a long funnel and use the funnel to get it in the tank?
I second that
Old 06-23-2005, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Robinhood150
I don't see "gas can on the ground" anywhere...
Because siphoning can't be done from the ground into a fuel tank that is higher than the ground. I didn't think it was necessary to talk about the ground because it doesn't really have anything to do with what I am doing.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:58 PM
Contributing Member

If we must split hairs you didn't say "siphon" you said, "I know it's a bad idea to pump gas into a gas can from the pump at the gas station because of static electricity."

Thus my response, "It's fine to pump gas into a gas can as long as the can is on the ground."

Pumping gas from a "gas pump" at a "gas station" is a funny way of saying siphon.

Last edited by Robinhood150; 06-23-2005 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:04 PM
Contributing Member

but then he does state: "I want to know if the same rule applies when siphoning gas from a gas can into my gas tank."

this should have been posted in the riddles thread, cause your opening sentence totally got us thinking about pumping gas, not siphoning. good riddle!
Old 06-23-2005, 10:10 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, but his opening line is incorrect, therefore making his question invalid.

Quick Reply: Siphoning Gas