Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Should I lower my 4runner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I lower my 4runner?

I've just bought a '95 4runner, and I'm thinking about lowering it a little. I'm not planning on doing any real off-road stuff, and the truck is 2WD anyway. By lowering it by maybe an inch, if thats realistic on a budget, I'm hoping to make her handle a little better. From what I understand, I should be able to buy slightly shorter shocks and springs, get an alignment, and call it a day.

Do I need to think about replacing sway bars as well? Any suggestions on what size shocks would be appropriate? Does this idea even make any sense?

Of course, I'd also like to buy different wheels somewhere down the road, since the ones that were on the truck when I bought it look like old generic pickup wheels off a pre-90s rig . . . would 17-inch wheels work if the body was lowered as I've described above?

Thanks . . .
Old 10-07-2004, 05:24 AM
lee
Contributing Member

if youre concerned with handling, try a sedan.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:42 AM

you might want to think about thicker sway bars front and rear, it'll stopp some of the body roll.

as far as getting a sedan, i sure you chose the 4runner for a reason and not a sedan. dontcha just hate when some one says to get this or that when it doesnt agree with what they've done to there ride. i'm sure someone didnt say get a full size truck if you want to mud it, or you shoulda bought the V8 if you wanted more power.

this and other boards like it are for people like us to modify our cars from one end of the spectrum to the other, if you are going to be closed minded about the end of the specrum that your not on, dont discourage others that want to better their selves and there rigs,ride,trucks,cars... i think i'll stay on my soap box for the time being
Old 10-07-2004, 09:04 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Okay, skipping my opinion about 2wd and lowering (I agree with both Lee AND Instigator, <grin,>) why would you spend good money to lower it one inch, especially since you said you are on a budget? You might try first, swaybar bushings, second, better shocks, and of course lower profile tires. Then maybe bigger swaybars. Those will make a difference for your dollar and you'll have a nice handling car. Lowering it will cost more money if you get good stuff (and if you go cheap you will probably make it handle worse) and the benefits aren't as tangible.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:08 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i thought i hit the smiley... i was kidding around.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*deleted* I'm a grumpy a-hole today. Pardon me...

Last edited by Epic Ed; 10-07-2004 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by WooferV2
I've just bought a '95 4runner, and I'm thinking about lowering it a little. I'm not planning on doing any real off-road stuff, and the truck is 2WD anyway. By lowering it by maybe an inch, if thats realistic on a budget, I'm hoping to make her handle a little better. From what I understand, I should be able to buy slightly shorter shocks and springs, get an alignment, and call it a day.

Thanks . . .
If you want to do it on a budget, cut the springs and call it a day.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:18 PM

We're all just givin ya hard time Woofer, the search for better handling is a worthy one. But Pimpin' the ride, now THAT's another story. (and I can't say too much now can I?...)
Old 10-07-2004, 12:59 PM

I guess I was thinking that if I was going to replace the shocks and springs anyway, maybe I should try to lower the ride height a bit at the same time. Is there more to it than simply getting the parts on and having it lined up?

Sway bar bushings sound like a good idea ; I guess the actually sway bar is unlikely to be bad unless its bent, but the bushings . . . are there different grades of bushings?
Old 10-07-2004, 01:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well now I haven't looked under a 2wd but I assume the susupension is the same...

You can have my old rear coil springs, they sag about an inch anyway. And you can probably let out the torsion bars in front enough to drop the front about an inch...
Old 10-08-2004, 06:04 AM

well Lee that totaly takes all of the air out of my self rightious sail my soap box just collapsed.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:00 AM

Yeah, but lowering with saggy springs and letting it down with torsions would actually make it handle worse. Or did you you forget to hit the smiley too? ;-)

Woofer, check with the susp suppliers, they might have replacement springs to lower it, I have no idea, not something that would have occurred to me. You might find a Sport Truck magazine or something like that to give you some tips.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:03 AM

As for the sway bar - put polyeurethane bushings in there. Makes a huge difference! If you don't have a rear bar, you might add one. Then get some 285/35R22s and you be stylin...
Old 10-08-2004, 09:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You cut the springs and I'll pee on your tire!! LOL I say leave the 2nd gen ass sagging springs in place but remove the bumpstop and replace it with a low pro. This will allow a lot of downward movement. Or if you want to stiffen things up, get the PP 1" lowering springs for the rear end. The stock ones are pretty damn spongy...

DEFINATELY do the poly bushings at the end of the swaybars.
Larger antisway bars will also make a HUGE difference on the twisties as well.

I wonder if some stiffer torsion bars, but lowered a bit would help?

Airshocks all the way around would probably be a good thing...

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 10-08-2004 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
You cut the springs and I'll pee on your tire!! LOL I say leave the 2nd gen ass sagging springs in place but remove the bumpstop and replace it with a low pro. This will allow a lot of downward movement. Or if you want to stiffen things up, get the PP 1" lowering springs for the rear end. The stock ones are pretty damn spongy...

DEFINATELY do the poly bushings at the end of the swaybars.
Larger antisway bars will also make a HUGE difference on the twisties as well.

I wonder if some stiffer torsion bars, but lowered a bit would help?

Airshocks all the way around would probably be a good thing...
bumpin, what bumpstops did you use?
Old 10-08-2004, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
We're all just givin ya hard time Woofer, the search for better handling is a worthy one. But Pimpin' the ride, now THAT's another story. (and I can't say too much now can I?...)
Did somebody mention a pimped out, lowered 4Runner?

Bling, freakin' bling.

For what it's worth, I agree with those that said replace bushings, etc. to gain performance, but don't waste time or money lowering it an inch.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by BeaterToyota
Did somebody mention a pimped out, lowered 4Runner?

Bling, freakin' bling.

For what it's worth, I agree with those that said replace bushings, etc. to gain performance, but don't waste time or money lowering it an inch.
I could have done soo much better stuff to that 4runner in the pic, makes me sick!
Old 10-10-2004, 08:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gn86r
bumpin, what bumpstops did you use?
I didn't lower mine, I lifted the back end 2"... With my system in, it takes away about 1" of that lift...lol

Incidentially I readusted the rear brake booster, holy moly what a difference in braking!! She stops on a dime now.

But I do have low pro bump stops up front to help articulation. I think they were daystar polyurethane bumps you can find at any Advanced Discount Auto Parts.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 10-10-2004 at 08:19 AM.