Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Shaking 4runner After Lift.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaking 4runner After Lift.

I NEED HELP.. I INSTALLED A 2.5" LIFT ON MY 99 4RUNNER 4WD, AND NOW IT SHAKES. I READ A BUNCH OF FORUMS ON THIS SUBJECT HERE, BUT IT SEEMS THAT THIS IS ONLY A 2WD PROBLEM. NO ONE SEEMS TO BE HAVIN THIS PROB. WITH 4WDS. AT FIRST I TOUGHT IT WAS JUST AT CERTAIN SPEEDS NO MATTER WHAT. BUT ON MY WAY TO WORK IT SEEMED THIS WAS HAPPENING WHILE ACCELERATING AT HIGHER SPEEDS. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLEY APPRECIATED.. THANKS ALOT GUYS.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:12 AM

First off, turn caps lock off, it's hard to read when every thing is in caps.

As for your problem, check the driveline angle, it could be that it got thrown off by the lift, and it's your joints that are causing the vibs.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 99RUNNERPROJ
I NEED HELP.. I INSTALLED A 2.5" LIFT ON MY 99 4RUNNER 4WD, AND NOW IT SHAKES. I READ A BUNCH OF FORUMS ON THIS SUBJECT HERE, BUT IT SEEMS THAT THIS IS ONLY A 2WD PROBLEM. NO ONE SEEMS TO BE HAVIN THIS PROB. WITH 4WDS. AT FIRST I TOUGHT IT WAS JUST AT CERTAIN SPEEDS NO MATTER WHAT. BUT ON MY WAY TO WORK IT SEEMED THIS WAS HAPPENING WHILE ACCELERATING AT HIGHER SPEEDS. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLEY APPRECIATED.. THANKS ALOT GUYS.
Not a big deal but it is hard to read your post w/ all caps. Next, can you provide more details so people can help out? Start off w/ what kind of lift did you do (spacer, longer springs, etc.) and name-brand stuff helps as well.

Next, did you install a diff drop or check your CV angles, etc? There are many threads similar to yours and a lot of them have been resolved with more digging. Pics also help as to trouble-shooting. There are a ton of knowledgable people on this board as long as you provide enough info.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:29 AM
Banned

make sure the coils arent crooked
Old 01-23-2006, 06:51 AM

Sorry for the caps its habbit. I put the daystar spacer lift on. I put new bilstein shocks in. I also did the diff drop and sway bar drop. I looked at the drive line angle and as faar as i know it looks fine. I thought the driveline would be fine since it has a double cardon joint in it. Im just lost.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you get the vehicle aligned after you did the lift?
Old 01-23-2006, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

did you put the lift on yourself? or did you have a local shop do it? I'd make sure to get an alignment and go from there. also where in Utah big guy?
Old 01-23-2006, 10:41 AM

yes i got it alligned at the local toyota dealership. ater i got it alligned it got better, but the problem is still there. i did do my lift myself. we were careful to check every thing twice that we did. oh and i live in roy and clearfield utah. where do you live HOJU?
Old 01-23-2006, 11:21 AM

I also noticed some cv grease leaking out of the boots on the rear of the inner boot. Not ripped but comin out of the boot like the clamp isnt tight enough. I was thinkin this might be a sign of something else?
Old 01-23-2006, 11:27 AM
Banned

I also noticed some cv grease leaking out of the boots on the rear of the inner boot. Not ripped but comin out of the boot like the clamp isnt tight enough. I was thinkin this might be a sign of something else?
the cv angles are too great, thus it is leaking out...try wheeling the piss out of it and it will settle...thats what mine did. However, my cvs never leaked after the diff drop was installed...when i wheeled mine, the angles decreased.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:42 AM
Contributing Member

did you take any measurements before you put the lift on? it sounds like you got a little bit more than 2.5" and that's causing your CV's to have too much angle to them. can you take a pic of it with a digi-cam?

oh yeah, i'm in slc/holladay
Old 01-23-2006, 11:58 AM

Thats the best idea ive had. no more workin on it play on it..
Old 01-23-2006, 12:00 PM
Contributing Member

When grease starts to leak out, the angle for the boot is too much. This angle pulls the boot away from the inboard joint, and then the grease comes out. You can slide the boot on shaft a tad to relieve some of the pressure that the boot is on. However, I think you're CV angles are a tad too tweaked. When I had my IFS and I really lifted mine up, I noticed that the shafts were hitting on the inboard joint. Now, it wouldn't do this at highway speed because I had the hubs (manual hubs) unlocked. But, when on the trail, I would go slow enough not to notice the vibration. But after busting the shaft, I removed them and saw that the shaft was getting warn down by the inboard joint.

Vibration is not good for those pressed in bearings. I would either take out the spacers and test drive it, or figure out someway of lowering it. By the way, when you put 2.5" spacers on, you're lifting it much higher than 2.5". My first lift was All Pro 2" spacers. I ended up with 4" of lift. Wayyyyyy too much for the half-shafts.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:02 PM
Banned

Thats the best idea ive had. no more workin on it play on it..
ive been wondering for about 9 months why my cv angles were greater than FilthyRichs....

after we wheeled together, they had reduced

just an idea...and fun one at that!
Old 01-23-2006, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

yeah, just wheel the crap out of it...
Old 01-23-2006, 12:49 PM

[IMG]myrunner2[/IMG] i hope this works, im not to sure how to put pics in here. i measured the front and rear after the lift and the front sits about 1/4" - 1/2" higher than the rear.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

[IMG]myrunner2[/IMG] i hope this works, im not to sure how to put pics in here. i measured the front and rear after the lift and the front sits about 1/4" - 1/2" higher than the rear.
Didn't work, what is the link to your pictures. Get the link from the address bar and we can put it in.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:53 PM

its not an address the pictures are on my desktop. how do i get them here from there?
Old 01-23-2006, 12:58 PM
Contributing Member

its not an address the pictures are on my desktop. how do i get them here from there?
Unless you have a static IP address on the web (A web server), you can't do it. You will have to post the pictures to something like Photobucket, or on a website. Then you can link to the pictures from Yotatech. If you have a website, you can post your pictures there, and then link to them.

edit: email them to me and I can post them for you

Last edited by SteveO; 01-23-2006 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
You need to upload the pictures to a web server, one where you can store photos on-line. Then paste the URL of the on-line photo in between the IMG tags.

On the CV angle, have a look at this page:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...n-Measurements

Quick Reply: Shaking 4runner After Lift.