Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Seperating rear axle shaft from drum?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seperating rear axle shaft from drum?

Can someone tell me if this can be done fairly easily? I haven't looked at it too closely yet but it appears to be pressed on.
Thanks!
Oh yeah, it's on a 97 4runner.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:49 PM

If I understand you correctly all you need to do is remove the wheel and with the parking brake off, give the drum a few whacks wit a soft faced hammer and it will come loose. the only thing that holds it on is rust. If this doesn't do it, there are holes on the drum next to the studs,find the right size bolt and screw it in, this will force the drum off.

Last edited by GREEN4SKIN'R; 10-04-2006 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Sorry, I was kind of vague when I said drum. What I meant was the bearing/drum backing plate assembly.
I just pulled both out of the axle I'm trying to sell. I have a potential buyer that is only interested in the shaft and third member.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes, the bearings are pressed on. I know someone said on here he got them off by putting the brake drum on for some weight, holding the drum/backing plate and then banging the end of the axle down on the ground, well actually on a piece of wood on the ground so you don't mess up the splines. If that doen't work then you'll have to find someone with a press.

Edit: found the thread
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...t=rear+bearing
Old 10-05-2006, 08:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by eric-the-red
Yes, the bearings are pressed on. I know someone said on here he got them off by putting the brake drum on for some weight, holding the drum/backing plate and then banging the end of the axle down on the ground, well actually on a piece of wood on the ground so you don't mess up the splines. If that doen't work then you'll have to find someone with a press.

Edit: found the thread
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...t=rear+bearing
Thanks for your response

I did drop one on a piece of wood a few times but it didn't seem to budge. I was really pressed for time so I ended up shipping the whole assembly this morning.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
you need to pull the C clip, then cut the bearing retainer off with a dremel or something to that effect.

after that you MIGHT be able to pound them out without a press... but it took everything my 20ton press had to unseat both the bearing AND retainer at the same time.... (i didnt cut my retainers off, figured i have a big arse press, why bother)
Old 10-05-2006, 09:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GREEN4SKIN'R
If I understand you correctly all you need to do is remove the wheel and with the parking brake off, give the drum a few whacks wit a soft faced hammer and it will come loose. the only thing that holds it on is rust. If this doesn't do it, there are holes on the drum next to the studs,find the right size bolt and screw it in, this will force the drum off.
for anyother noobs that find this post....

thats not a good idea... the shoes can wear a lip into the drum. so the drum wont come off because its being held on by the lip catching the shoes. if you force it off youll likely (STRONG likely hood) screw something up.

theres a hole on the back of the backing plate you can sick some screwdivers in to back the adjuster in to avoid said lip probs if you dont think its "just rust"
Old 10-05-2006, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

When I replaced my rear bearings I had to cut the retainers off and it still took all my 20 ton press to get it off. Ended up fabbing up a tool to use in the press, made it 20x easier.