Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

select-mode 4WD question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question select-mode 4WD question

I am considering the purchase of a '00 or '01 SR5. I understand that the '01 was the first year for the select-mode 4WD system in the SR5. (only available in Limited models before that) I've been told that this allows the vehicle to operate in 4WD on drive pavement without burning up components.

Is this system far superior to the '00 part-time 4WD? I am mostly interested in 4WD for snowy roads - highway and backroad as well as a few trails that your average car can't get down. No serious off-roading for now!

I also plan to do a lot of towing. Is the 4Runner a good tow vehicle and would the select-mode be of any advantage for towing?

I would appreciate any advice you can give me on the select-mode 4WD or in general when considering the purchase of a slightly used 4Runner.

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2003, 02:13 PM

I just purchased a 2000 Limited with the Lever/Button Type 4WD selector. I believe the 2000 was the last year to provide an optional Rear Locker. I was lucky enough to find one!!! If you want a rear locker in the 2001, I believe you have to go after-market.

I haven’t had the opportunity to really test it out but I have been in some light snow. In 4H (w/Yokohama Geolander A/T +II tires), I had no problems at all with ~3” snow on the road. I even locked the Rear Dif. and was able to back up a packed snow bank without any slippage.

I’m not sure about the 2001’s but here is some info on the 2000 4WD system (from the Owners Manual) that may be helpful.

The 2000 with the automatic transmission comes in two flavors:
1.Front Drive Control (Lever type)
2.Front Drive Control (Lever/Button type). This is identified by a button on the side of the shift lever labeled “4WD”.

Front Drive Control (Lever Type):
This has 4 selections: H2, H4, N, and L4. This type has an open center differential. This can shift on-the-fly from H2 to H4 under 50 mph and is safe to drive on dry conditions.

Front Drive Control (Lever/Button Type):
This has 5 selections: H2, H4, H4L, N, and L4L. The difference between the Lever Type and Lever Button type is that the Center Differential can be locked. The Lever/Button Type can shift on-the-fly to 4H under 62 mph and is safe to run on any surface. From 4H, the “4WD” button on the side of the shifter can be depressed which shifts into 4HL (4 High w/Center Diff. Locked). **4HL and L4L should not be used on dry paved surfaces as there could be damage to the locking mechanism.

As far as towing is concerned, the 2000 specifies up to 5000 lbs with the 3.4 l 5VZ-FE engine but with only ~185 Hp, I doubt you could pull that much very well. For small loads, the 2000 or 2001 will work fine. I have towed my motorcycle (CBR600F4i) and trailer (~1000 Lbs) and didnt even know it was back there.

Last edited by Stock4Runner; 02-15-2003 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-15-2003, 02:33 PM

Re: select-mode 4WD question

Originally posted by mastershoe
I am considering the purchase of a '00 or '01 SR5. I understand that the '01 was the first year for the select-mode 4WD system in the SR5. (only available in Limited models before that) I've been told that this allows the vehicle to operate in 4WD on drive pavement without burning up components.

Is this system far superior to the '00 part-time 4WD? I am mostly interested in 4WD for snowy roads - highway and backroad as well as a few trails that your average car can't get down. No serious off-roading for now!

I also plan to do a lot of towing. Is the 4Runner a good tow vehicle and would the select-mode be of any advantage for towing?

I would appreciate any advice you can give me on the select-mode 4WD or in general when considering the purchase of a slightly used 4Runner.

Thanks.
I don't believe the '01 4WD system is far superior to that of the '00 and its predecessors. To be completely honest, I think the open center differential is more a detriment than an advantage, especially if you're only planning to use it on snowy roads. I would try to get an older version w/a rear locker myself.

As for towing, the 4Runner should be fine for light/medium towing but if you're doing hefty hauling you may want to go for a good ol' American truck instead.

Just my opinion for you.
Old 02-15-2003, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member

When the center differential is locked on 2001 or 2002 models, it is identical (not superior) to the previous models without the center diff. This turns it into a conventional 4WD vehicle as the front and rear axles then turn at the same rate. The 2001 and 2002 models have the TRAC (traction control) system which is far superior to an open diff model of previous years. In my opinion, a 1996-2000 with a rear locker holds a somewhat small advantage over the TRAC system. Where the 2001/2002 models would have the advantage is with the pulling power of a front wheel if the other was slipping or in the air. However, it will not pull if the situation is too extreme. If you look for a 2000 or earlier model, be sure you get one equipped with a rear locker since you are going to take it off-road. Plus, if you end up doing difficult trails later, you are 1 step ahead when looking to lock the front.

If you do get one with a center diff, don't use it in 4WD on dry pavement or when towing. It isn't necessary and just doesn't make sense. I do disagree with HBoss about the center differential being a detriment. That is not the case. If you think of it as it just 1 more thing that could go wrong, I think that is the wrong way to look at things in general.
Old 02-16-2003, 10:54 AM

Question need clarification

Thanks everyone for the help, but I'm still a little confused.

Was the '01 SR5 the first year to get a centre differential?

Stock 4Runner states that even without select-mode the 4Runner can be operated on drive pavement but I have heard conflicting opinions on this. Can I get clarification?

How does select-mode differ from previous 4Runners? It sounds as if it gives me the option of locking the centre differential whereas pre select-mode 4Runners had no centre diff. Is this correct?

I am interested in running the truck in 4WD on dry pavement for those situations where the highway is dry in one section, snowy or wet in another and than back to dry etc... My understanding is that I would need select-mode for this situation. Correct?

Perhaps I am making more out of select-mode than I need to. Is there any real advantage/disadvantage to having it?

Sorry for all these newbie questions and thanks in advance to anyone who can set me straight.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Darren
I do disagree with HBoss about the center differential being a detriment. That is not the case. If you think of it as it just 1 more thing that could go wrong, I think that is the wrong way to look at things in general.
It's not that it's one more thing that can go wrong, however simply put:

-With 3 open diffs it only takes one wheel w/o traction to get you stuck. Lock the center diff & you revert your rig to earlier 3rd gen part-time 4WD systems.

-Now with front/rear open diffs (center locked) you have to have at least one wheel front & one wheel back to get stuck.

-Take original 3rd gen. w/a rear locker. It takes BOTH rear tires AND one front for you to get stuck.

So w/the addition of the center open diff you get a vehicle that can get stuck more easily, but you can use it on dry pavement and experience less wear & tear on the drivetrain, steering & tire components. That's why I think it's a detriment: For my needs, not anyone else's, I don't believe the benefits from the open center diff outweigh the traction difference I lose out on.

And perhaps "detriment" was too strong a word for the situation. Let's just say I "prefer" no center diff at all, to having an open center diff.

Last edited by HBoss; 02-16-2003 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:57 AM
Contributing Member

Re: need clarification

Was the '01 SR5 the first year to get a centre differential?

No. You were right the 1st time: 1999 and 2000 Limiteds had them.

Stock 4Runner states that even without select-mode the 4Runner can be operated on drive pavement but I have heard conflicting opinions on this. Can I get clarification?

I didn't really follow or take time to understand what he posted on this from the manual. Simply put, if you have a center differential, you can drive it on dry pavement in 4WD. If not, don't.

How does select-mode differ from previous 4Runners? It sounds as if it gives me the option of locking the centre differential whereas pre select-mode 4Runners had no centre diff. Is this correct?

Correct. A locked center diff on a later model with one is equal to one without.

I am interested in running the truck in 4WD on dry pavement for those situations where the highway is dry in one section, snowy or wet in another and than back to dry etc... My understanding is that I would need select-mode for this situation. Correct?

Correct. This is probably the best scenario to even use 4WD on dry pavement. By all means, put it and leave it in 4WD if you encounter this.

Perhaps I am making more out of select-mode than I need to. Is there any real advantage/disadvantage to having it?

I think so. Again, the only "advantage" would be that you could use it on dry pavement, ala AWD. No reason to do this other than the scenario you mentioned above.

Sorry for all these newbie questions and thanks in advance to anyone who can set me straight.

No problem. That's what we're here for. Although, I'm not sure if I've been successful in answering anything!

So w/the addition of the center open diff you get a vehicle that can get stuck more easily . . .

That's why no one that knows anything would leave it open if the situation called for it to begin with. In general, lock the center diff when off-road. This is a non-issue.

The only thing to compare between models with the center diff and one without is the rear locker vs. TRAC system.

Last edited by Darren; 02-16-2003 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2003, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by Stock4Runner
I just purchased a 2000 Limited with the Lever/Button Type 4WD selector. I believe the 2000 was the last year to provide an optional Rear Locker. I was lucky enough to find one!!! If you want a rear locker in the 2001, I believe you have to go after-market.

I haven’t had the opportunity to really test it out but I have been in some light snow. In 4H (w/Yokohama Geolander A/T +II tires), I had no problems at all with ~3” snow on the road. I even locked the Rear Dif. and was able to back up a packed snow bank without any slippage.

I’m not sure about the 2001’s but here is some info on the 2000 4WD system (from the Owners Manual) that may be helpful.

The 2000 with the automatic transmission comes in two flavors:
1.Front Drive Control (Lever type)
2.Front Drive Control (Lever/Button type). This is identified by a button on the side of the shift lever labeled “4WD”.

Front Drive Control (Lever Type):
This has 4 selections: H2, H4, N, and L4. This type has an open center differential. This can shift on-the-fly from H2 to H4 under 50 mph and is safe to drive on dry conditions.

Front Drive Control (Lever/Button Type):
This has 5 selections: H2, H4, H4L, N, and L4L. The difference between the Lever Type and Lever Button type is that the Center Differential can be locked. The Lever/Button Type can shift on-the-fly to 4H under 62 mph and is safe to run on any surface. From 4H, the “4WD” button on the side of the shifter can be depressed which shifts into 4HL (4 High w/Center Diff. Locked). **4HL and L4L should not be used on dry paved surfaces as there could be damage to the locking mechanism.
<snip>

I guess we have different manuals for the 2K's. I have a Limited w/o the locker. My manual:

Front drive control (lever type):
Lever at "H2", Use this for driving on dry hard-surfaced roads. (snip).
Lever at "H4", Use this for driving on wet, icy or snow-covered roads. (snip)
(snip)

Front drive control (lever/button type):
"H2" mode: Lever at "H2-H4", "4WD" button left out. Use this for normal driving on dry hard-surfaced roads. (snip)
"H4" mode: Lever at "H2-H4", "4WD" button pushed in. Use this for normal driving on all types of roads, from hard-surfaced roads to wet, icy or snow covered roads. This position provides greater traction than two-wheel drive.
"H4L" mode (high speed position, four-wheel drive, center differential locked): Lever at "H4L". Use this for greater traction when you experience a loss of power, such as wheel slipping, in the "H2-H4" (four-wheel drive mode)

From the shifting procedures section.
NOTICE: Do not drive on a dry paved surface in "4HL" mode. This may damage the locking mechanism and the drive system.
Old 02-16-2003, 03:09 PM

Ron-

I think we have the same manual--I was just paraphrasing.

I do see my mistake on the Lever Type. The H4 Mode in the Lever type states that this mode is used for wet, icy, or snow covered roads--no mention of dry-hard surfaces.

Thanks for pointing this out.
Old 02-16-2003, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by Stock4Runner
Ron-

I think we have the same manual--I was just paraphrasing.

I do see my mistake on the Lever Type. The H4 Mode in the Lever type states that this mode is used for wet, icy, or snow covered roads--no mention of dry-hard surfaces.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Check the lever/button section also:
------------------------------------
From 4H, the “4WD” button on the side of the shifter can be depressed which shifts into 4HL (4 High w/Center Diff. Locked).
-----------------------------------------
The button shifts from "H2" into "H4", but with the center diff open. To get into "H4L" (H4L)ocked, the lever must be shifted into "H4L".
Old 02-17-2003, 06:26 AM

Lightbulb

Thanks Darren and everyone else.

I think I get it. The SR5's prior to 2001 did not have a centre differential which means you could not run them on dry pavement. For my purposes - driving on slippery roads that change to dry roads that change back to slippery roads etc.. I would be better off with a '01 or newer SR5 (or older Limited model)! Now I just have three questions (for now):

1. Is the centre diff. on the '01 SR5 a torsen diff?

2. Can you lock the centre diff on the '01 SR5 or '00-'01 Limited? If you can it seems as if you have the best of both worlds with the models that have a centre diff.

2. Does the '01 SR5 or '00 - '01 Limited come with rear locking diff or was this an option or an aftermarket addition? Everyone seems to be in agreement that having a rear locking diff makes a big difference when you get into the rough stuff.

Thanks again. I'm lucky I found this forum since nobody I've talked to so far at the Toyota dealerships have been much help. They seem to forget (or maybe never knew in the first place!) everything about the older 4Runners.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:52 AM
Contributing Member

1) No. The 2003's are a different ballgame with the Torsen diff.

2) Yes. I'm assuming you mean 1999-2000 models here talking about the Limiteds. If you mean the best of both worlds with these including a locker, then yes. I don't know if there's that many of them though.

3) I assume you mean 2001 and 2002 models here. No locker, they went to the automated TRAC system. You can add dual ARB's if you'd like which will cost quite a bit, but there's already been one to do it and who knows, I may do it in a couple years. They would override the TRAC system since there would be no wheel slip. Just slow and consistent power to the wheels.

Lockers make all the difference in the world if a wheel gets in the air or slips, which will be common on anything other that easy trails. The TRAC system does work very well though for what it does, I must say, but it's nothing like dual lockers could provide.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by mastershoe

1. Is the centre diff. on the '01 SR5 a torsen diff?

-I believe not. I think it's an open diff and the 2003+ models have a torsen center.

2. Can you lock the centre diff on the '01 SR5 or '00-'01 Limited? If you can it seems as if you have the best of both worlds with the models that have a centre diff.

-Yes

2. Does the '01 SR5 or '00 - '01 Limited come with rear locking diff or was this an option or an aftermarket addition? Everyone seems to be in agreement that having a rear locking diff makes a big difference when you get into the rough stuff.

-Factory locking rear diff ended in '00. You'd have to go aftermarket for an '01.