Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

SCORE! Got a supercharger for $325!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SCORE! Got a supercharger for $325!!

Ok, I got one heck of a deal on a 1st gen Supercharger (gray model) today, a whole $325!! The nose bearing is bad on it but the guy says he took it off right when it went so it should be easily rebuildable with either a bearing from my local bearing shop or a $75 kit off ebay. And if it needs more I can as a last ditch effort send it in to be rebuilt for about $500.

But even if I had to send it in I would still come out to about $800 for a supercharger! But I am pretty sure I can rebuild it myself in which case I will have it for under $400!

I am SOOOO psyched! Now just need to get the URD 7th injector kit and I am ready to go!

While I am at it, is there anything else that I need to install it? It came with the pulley, belt (will get new one) and manifold, here is a picture:

So anything else other than a boost gauge and gaskect I need to install it?

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 05-19-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet deal Ace!
Old 05-19-2008, 08:49 PM

Wow, great deal. Good luck with the bearing, hopefully you won't have to send it in for a rebuild.

Out of curiosity, where did you find it?
Old 05-19-2008, 08:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Matthew0404
Wow, great deal. Good luck with the bearing, hopefully you won't have to send it in for a rebuild.

Out of curiosity, where did you find it?
So do I, from what i have read the rebuild is easy as long as it is just the nose cone that needs to be done, which from talking to the guy that sold it sounds like that is all the problems it is.

It is if there are more problems that you have to send it in but i also hope i don't have to.

Oh, and i got it off ebay. The guy had it listed totally wrong (of course i didn't feel the need to correct him) with supercharger split into super charger so no one found it. Had some guy try to snipe it from me but i still won it. Plus i had a 10% off cupon from paypal hat i used as well.

There were also 2 other 1st gen SC's that sold this last week for under $600 so that helped me as well i am sure.

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 05-19-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice score get it powder coated black and the TRD red and make it a bit different then the normal 1 st gen sc it would look cool and have some people wondering if its a 1st or 2nd gen
Old 05-19-2008, 11:36 PM

That's awesome man, can't wait to see it installed.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thats a great deal!

BTW, What are the differences between a first gen and a second gen supercharger?

Thanks,
Old 05-20-2008, 05:24 AM

Well done!. I wasn't aware this could be fitted to a 3rd gen. What are the differences (bhp)between them.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think I'd send it in for a rebuild myself. The possible engine damage from a failure could be catastrophic. Nothing to stop those small bearings or other broken parts from going down the intake ports.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's an install thread I found for a 1st gen SC when you get that far:

http://customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89221

I was looking for a rebuild thread over there that I saw recently.

Here it was:

http://customtacos.com/forum/showthr...hlight=rebuild

Some more:

Last edited by mt_goat; 05-20-2008 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by olharleyman
Nice score get it powder coated black and the TRD red and make it a bit different then the normal 1 st gen sc it would look cool and have some people wondering if its a 1st or 2nd gen
I actually was planning on doing that, it depends on how much powder coating it would cost but that is what I want to do.

Originally Posted by Fo_SheeZy
That's awesome man, can't wait to see it installed.
Neither can I! I so can’t wait!

Originally Posted by Bandit Runner
Thats a great deal!

BTW, What are the differences between a first gen and a second gen supercharger?

Thanks,
Well from the research I have done on them the 1st gen (aka gray one) is basically the M62 SC as it comes with the extra parts bolted on it to make it work. The 2nd Gen (aka Black one) is the same exact M62 only cast out of 1 piece instead of the other parts bolted on. They both are the same thing just look slightly different. The 2nd gen fixed some very minor problems (like oil leaking from the nose). But overall they are the same from what I hear.

Originally Posted by blarchitect
Well done!. I wasn't aware this could be fitted to a 3rd gen. What are the differences (bhp)between them.
Well as I said above they are the same exact SC just in different shells. So the boost (aka HP increase) should be the exact same for both of them. I found a local Dyno shop and I plan on doing a before/after run and will post the sheets.

Originally Posted by mt_goat
I think I'd send it in for a rebuild myself. The possible engine damage from a failure could be catastrophic. Nothing to stop those small bearings or other broken parts from going down the intake ports.
Yeah, I am torn. The little bit of $$$ I have I really want to save for an RX7 to play with and some other little things I need to do to my truck. But I want it to work good too. After I get it I am going to open it up and see what it looks like in there. I will decide what I am going to do after I see the inside of it.

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Here's an install thread I found for a 1st gen SC when you get that far:

http://customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89221

I was looking for a rebuild thread over there that I saw recently.

Here it was:

Some more:

Thanks a lot for the links! I totally forgot about CT and had just searched here and a few other places for info so far. Those are great!
Old 05-20-2008, 11:01 AM

Good score! I like searching for misc. stuff that might be posted wrong. I'll have to start looking for some "super chargers" ::
Old 05-20-2008, 11:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Joe's Toy
Good score! I like searching for misc. stuff that might be posted wrong. I'll have to start looking for some "super chargers" ::
Yep, you can find some darn good deal that way.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if you're looking into powdercoating, you may find that it is pretty expensive, at least around here. i don't know what Loudin's would charge but you'll have to figure in shipping too. i'm going to play around with some POR 15 (i know, it's my new favorite thing to talk about, kinda like FoSheezy and his LED tails! ) but i'm going to do some engine parts that don't get super hot but are exposed to some heat and see how it turns out. they sell some caliper coating from POR 15 but i'm not sure i would need anything that gets that hot, would the supercharger heat up pretty high? anyway, that's another option, i got 3 quarts or POR 15, the Marine clean, and the Metal ready for a little over $100; should last a long time.

and on topic, good job on finding the ebay deals and for beefing up the engine. pretty soon it won't matter how many lights are on your 4runner, everyone will be envious of the total package!
Old 05-20-2008, 06:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by pattycakes77
if you're looking into powdercoating, you may find that it is pretty expensive, at least around here. i don't know what Loudin's would charge but you'll have to figure in shipping too. i'm going to play around with some POR 15 (i know, it's my new favorite thing to talk about, kinda like FoSheezy and his LED tails! ) but i'm going to do some engine parts that don't get super hot but are exposed to some heat and see how it turns out. they sell some caliper coating from POR 15 but i'm not sure i would need anything that gets that hot, would the supercharger heat up pretty high? anyway, that's another option, i got 3 quarts or POR 15, the Marine clean, and the Metal ready for a little over $100; should last a long time.

and on topic, good job on finding the ebay deals and for beefing up the engine. pretty soon it won't matter how many lights are on your 4runner, everyone will be envious of the total package!
Yeah, there are a few places around here that do it, i am going to call around and see what it would run me. If it is too much then it would just stay gray.

I also want to look into getting my wheels powder coated as well so a perfect time to look into them all.

Ha ha, you are so funny!
Old 05-20-2008, 06:15 PM

I would deffinitly rebuild... them have a brand new supercharger for under 900..... thats a steal
Old 05-20-2008, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kmcaprice14
I would deffinitly rebuild... them have a brand new supercharger for under 900..... thats a steal
Yeah, if there looks to be any damage other than the bearing at all i am going to have it rebuilt. But if it is really just th ebearing i really need the extra $$$. We will see.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Yeah, if there looks to be any damage other than the bearing at all i am going to have it rebuilt. But if it is really just th ebearing i really need the extra $$$. We will see.
BTW, you don't want an RX7... you want an older MR2... Cheaper and just as fun. Just sayin... (I want one)
Old 05-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kmcaprice14
BTW, you don't want an RX7... you want an older MR2... Cheaper and just as fun. Just sayin... (I want one)
LOL, i actually have been debating between the 2 for some time now.

What i can find local will determan what i get but i think i want an RX7 to start off with.

Reason being that they are actually cheaper (2nd gen, not the 3rd gen) and cheaper to mod (i am looking for 400+ hp once i am done).

Plus i have always wanted to see what all the fuss about the rotary is.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:00 PM

Damn sweet deal, I just saw one on craigslist for $2400...

Quick Reply: SCORE! Got a supercharger for $325!!