Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

S2000 antenna mod---Ckonarske (Chuck), can you answer this one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 09:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
S2000 antenna mod---Ckonarske (Chuck), can you answer this one?

Chuck (and the rest of ya):

I purchased a black whip antenna from a guy on eBay. What a piece of crap. He said it would look stock and I could use the Toyota adapter. Nothing could be further from the truth. The only thing I do like about it is the whip antenna part---the rest of it is pure crap.

I spent the better part of 4 hours today to try to get this thing to fit and to look "stock"---to no avail.

I searched on this board as well as ODW and someone mentioned that the Honda Odyssey guys modified an S2000 whip antenna to fit it. I noticed that you (Chuck) have done this mod on your Oddysey.

So my question is, have you tried this mod on your 4runner? Is it possible to do it with minimal fuss?

Thanks!
Bob
Old 09-16-2002, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: S2000 antenna mod---Ckonarske (Chuck), can you answer this one?

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
Chuck (and the rest of ya):

I purchased a black whip antenna from a guy on eBay. What a piece of crap. He said it would look stock and I could use the Toyota adapter. Nothing could be further from the truth. The only thing I do like about it is the whip antenna part---the rest of it is pure crap.

I spent the better part of 4 hours today to try to get this thing to fit and to look "stock"---to no avail.

I searched on this board as well as ODW and someone mentioned that the Honda Odyssey guys modified an S2000 whip antenna to fit it. I noticed that you (Chuck) have done this mod on your Oddysey.

So my question is, have you tried this mod on your 4runner? Is it possible to do it with minimal fuss?

Thanks!
Bob
In case you haven't seen one mounted, here's a couple of pics:

I think I was the one who invented that mod for the Ody. I saw the idea originally on a Celica forum. It still looks great on my wifes' GT-S!

I was planning on doing it to the new 4Runner, but found that it came with a power antenna, so that fixed that!

I have a terrible memory, but IIRC, my second gen's antenna mount looked like the S2000 antenna would fit. If it works at all, I think it would be a 30 second job. Nothing else to do but screw it on. [

Last edited by ckonarske; 09-16-2002 at 04:06 AM.
Old 09-16-2002, 04:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Antenna

I've been looking for an antenna solution since my electric one was snapped off 6 months ago. I sliced my hand open on it while washing my rig two days ago, so I'm on a mission to do something ASAP.

All of you 2nd gen owners, I'll keep you posted...
Old 09-16-2002, 06:56 AM

Chuck,

Thanks for the reply.

Is it just me, or is that S2000 antenna have a slight rearwards cant to it?

Also, do you think it would be just as easy to screw in as a 2nd gen?

Whats IIRC?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 09-16-2002, 07:42 AM

Chuck,

Thanks for the reply.

Is it just me, or is that S2000 antenna have a slight rearwards cant to it?

Also, do you think it would be just as easy to screw in as a 2nd gen?

Whats IIRC?

Thanks,
Bob
*Is it just me, or is that S2000 antenna have a slight rearwards cant to it?*

No, it's straight. It's the mounts on those cars that are slanted.

*Also, do you think it would be just as easy to screw in as a 2nd gen?*

I think so. It was a perfect fit on the Celica.

*Whats IIRC?*

"If I Recall Correctly"
Old 09-16-2002, 09:43 AM

I replaced the power antennae with a black wip for the Tacoma.

By the way, I have the power antennae if anyone wants it. Unfortunately the dealer cut the antennae wire off, but it is repairable. The motor and drive is fine. You can have it for shipping or if you are in the Austin area come and get it. You can also have a clean air filter and some lug nuts.

Pete
Old 09-16-2002, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by peterbilt
I replaced the power antennae with a black wip for the Tacoma.
Pete
Did the Tacoma fit without problems? Where did you get it? I have seen a lot of those things on Ebay as well. I think if my electric one ever goes I will replace it with a whip.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2002, 01:20 PM

Peterbilt:

Are you PI_Pedro from ODW by chance? Also, do you have the part # for the Taco whip antenna? Is that thing really tall? I remember seeing a Taco w/ a whip and that thing was really tall---too tall for my taste. Do you have a pic of yours?

Beawolf: the crappy whip I bought from eBay was sold by a guy w/ the email addy "jvmax@hotmail.com" or something like that. There is no way that thing will help the appearance of your 4runner. Its really cheesy. I'll try to take a pic today, but basically its an antenna whose base is a round, movable ball that is attached to yet another base. That base is screwed onto another plate (that you install from inside the fender well). It looks G-A-Y.

Thus, I'm looking into that S2000 antenna or maybe this Taco whip is another, better alternative.

Bob
Old 09-16-2002, 03:30 PM

the crappy whip I bought from eBay was sold by a guy w/ the email addy "jvmax@hotmail.com" or something like that. There is no way that thing will help the appearance of your 4runner. Its really cheesy. I'll try to take a pic today, but basically its an antenna whose base is a round, movable ball that is attached to yet another base. That base is screwed onto another plate (that you install from inside the fender well). It looks G-A-Y.
Bob
Thanks for the tips Bob! I will stay away from this type!
Old 09-16-2002, 03:42 PM

Correction: JVMAX@MSN.com, not @hotmail.com.

Looking at his pic for his 4runner auction, its a 1st gen Pathfinder. Good god, I'm an idiot!

Here's a recent auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1859810214

Take a look at the product pic. This is why the kit is sub-par:

1) The antenna base w/ cable: your antenna mount (the item 2nd from the right--the ball looking thing) will point perpendicular to the angle of the quarter panel. It looks really gay.

2) The antenna ball: held together by a single allen wrench bolt

3) The antenna cable: i took apart the base...there is a single TINY, TINY copper wire that runs from the cable to the base.

Though his feedbacks are positive, I know the majority of the folks here care about the appearance of their 4runners and this is just one of those kits that give your rig the "ONE SIZE FITS ALL" look.

Oh the other thing that peeved me is that I wrote the guy an email about installation and his claims about the stock look---never wrote back!

Bob
Old 09-17-2002, 04:34 AM

Originally posted by Beowulf

Did the Tacoma fit without problems? Where did you get it? I have seen a lot of those things on Ebay as well. I think if my electric one ever goes I will replace it with a whip.

Thanks
It fit perfectly. I used the 4Runner mount for a non power antennae truck and the black wip from the Taco. The 4Runner comes with a stainless antennae. Anyway, I just got tired of cleaning the power antennae and watching and hearing it go up and down evertime I started the truck. You can use the radio buttons to save antennae trips but the wip is great. I also hit the garage door a couple of times and no problem. With the power it would be a gonner. Enjoy.

Pete
Old 10-04-2002, 04:22 PM

Hey Pete, Where did you get your whip antenna? I've been wanting to get one, and haven't been able to find them.
Thanks

-Braden
Old 10-04-2002, 05:05 PM

Braden:

I did the mod about 3 weeks ago. Couldn't be more happier.

You have to buy the non-motorized assembly which includes the *silver* whip antenna. The black whip part is separate. I think the whole mod cost me about $100 or so.

I'll dig up the part numbers for both the non-motorized assembly as well as the black whip antenna when I get home.

Bob
Old 10-04-2002, 05:12 PM

Thanks Bob I don't know if it would make any difference or not, but I don't have a power antenna (It's just a plain old ugly big silver one that sticks up ), do you think i'd still have to get the new assembly? Or could I get away with just buying the black whip antenna?

Thanks

-Braden