Stick to the pavement.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:20 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by EClayton08
I've got the perfect solution for you
Stick to the pavement.
We all know your the coolest off-roader since the invention 4-wheel drive but must you show your maturity off or lack there-of in every post?
Old 02-02-2003, 05:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by EClayton08
I've got the perfect solution for you
Stick to the pavement.
I was hoping that was a joke... I'll let him defend himself before tearing him a new one...

The old addage my buddies and I use for mountain biking is that if you aren't crashing, you aren't trying hard enough. Shouldn't the same apply to off-roading? j/k

The only way to learn is to test the limits of the vehicle and challenge yourself to increase your "pucker threshold". I pucker everytime I get past 30 degrees especially on long off-camber double track trails - gives me the "willies" - and I still find myself trying to lay across the passenger seat to counteract the tip...

Old 02-02-2003, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

I'd like to know what this, "minor modification" is...

Finally, we made minor modifications to the 1987 4Runner's design and again ran the vehicle through the accident sequence. Like the redesigned 1996 4Runner, the modified 1987 4Runner did not roll over, demonstrating that minor modifications to the vehicle would have prevented the accident.

Of course, I have already made the easiest mod ever, stopped driving sideways...
Old 02-02-2003, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by kctopher
but must you show your maturity off or lack there-of in every post?
yes
Old 02-02-2003, 09:15 AM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by kctopher
but must you show your maturity off or lack there-of in every post?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I understand his comment about staying on the pavement. From the looks of his rig and the mods, he's a pavement pounder and considers off-roading driving on a gravel road and a major obstacle to be the curb between Safeway and Albertsons..

Flame suit on!

HEHE, I love to stir it up once in a while
Old 02-03-2003, 02:04 PM
Contributing Member

This from the lawfirm, a bit anti-climactic...

The best thing that you can do is to use the small wheels and tires--the larger wheels and tires tend to make the vehicle more unstable in emergency manuevers such as reverse steer manuevers--also, do not put anything in or on the rack on top of the vehicle, which will raise the center of gravity of the vehicle-that is about all you can do to enhance the rollover resistance design and performance of the vehicle. Also, always utilize the restraint system to avoid being ejected if the vehicle rolls over. Hope this is of help.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by dajabr
This from the lawfirm, a bit anti-climactic...

The best thing that you can do is to use the small wheels and tires--the larger wheels and tires tend to make the vehicle more unstable in emergency manuevers such as reverse steer manuevers--also, do not put anything in or on the rack on top of the vehicle, which will raise the center of gravity of the vehicle-that is about all you can do to enhance the rollover resistance design and performance of the vehicle. Also, always utilize the restraint system to avoid being ejected if the vehicle rolls over. Hope this is of help.
I beg to differ on a couple of points. The increased weight of larger tires will lower the center of gravity. How much depends on how much the larger heights increase the COG. You can make axle wider with greatly reduces roll over potential and you can even lengthen the wheelbase to improve stability.

I think the original question wasn't about emergency avoidance maneuvers, although a couple of the responses were about that issue. I believe the concern was about rolling over on a trail, where speeds are extremely limited, although none the less critical. Increaseing speed can actually prevent a roll over when conditions are right.