Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Resale Value down for Tacomas/4Runners?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resale Value down for Tacomas/4Runners?

I'm not sure about you fellow Yotaheads, but I've always checked the value of my vehicles about twice a year just as a reference. We all know that Toyota's in general hold their value better than most other brands, but has anyone else noticed a big drop in estimated resale value for our generation Taco and 4Runner?? KBB value for my truck is down to about $14,500 and that seems awfully low. Could this have something to do with the 'gas crisis' we are living through right now? I would think smaller trucks would become MORE popular as a result.

On a side note, what did the Limited Double Cab Tacoma have in it? Leather possibly?? I would love to get a hold of those seats if they exist.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:22 AM

Gas prices is getting everyone out of trucks, even smaller ones. At $4.50 a gallon 20mpg isn't cutting it for many people with a decent commute.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anything besides bikes, mopeds and small cars are down now lol.

Rob
Old 06-24-2008, 10:31 AM

I would rollerblade to work before I drove a Smart car or moped!
Old 06-24-2008, 10:55 AM

yup. if u get hit in a SMART car, your screwed
Old 06-24-2008, 10:58 AM

Seriously guys if you aren't using gas prices as an excuse for getting that bike you have always wanted now is the time! "But honey, you can't beat 50 mpg"
Old 06-24-2008, 11:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think its just time for them to start going down....we are seeing lots of newer toys with over 200k on them now.....

Thank god the prices are coming down...time to start modifying...and now I can buy another one!
Old 06-24-2008, 12:17 PM

Don't go by KBB values. Even eBay is a better indication of the market than KBB.

I have seen the prices drop. But I think more so for the 4Runners than Tacomas. Small business owners/consumers that need trucks are still going after the Tacomas, since they NEED a truck, but don't want a 1/2-1 ton truck. The Tacoma prices have declined a bit where I live, but they seem to be holding fairly strong. Definitely see a drop in 4Runner values, though. SUV's aren't doing so well right now. But good for me, because I'd really like to get my hands on a 97-00 5-sp V6.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:00 PM

^Good point, private party sellers on Autotrader are asking a little more. And of course dealerships tack on a couple extra grand. I've found Edmunds TMV to be fairly accurate as well. It does make sense that 4Runners might take a bigger hit in resale because so many people are trying to dump their SUV's. But getting rid of such a great vehicle is silly just because gas is more expensive. My wife and I both agree that the 4Runner is a real truck, and most others (except for Jeeps and Land Rovers) are just posers.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:22 PM

Another thing to consider when thinking about the value of a car is the cost of the replacement parts...

RockAuto.com has released the Repair Index, a new online tool (www.rockauto.com/repairindex) for comparing the cost of replacement parts for two used vehicles. Purchase price, insurance costs, fuel economy and other considerations are important, but every car and truck is eventually going to need new filters, hoses, struts, brakes, water pump, etc. An accident might necessitate a new fender, tail lamp assembly, radiator and other parts.

You can choose two vehicles and the new RockAuto Repair Index tool (http://www.rockauto.com/repairindex) and it will automatically queries the millions of parts applications in the RockAuto.com catalog, compares the minimum cost of the most commonly replaced parts and summarizes the results. Comparing the cost of hundreds of parts could not be faster or easier. Thought it might be interesting when considering the value of a car or what kind of car to buy!

Last edited by RockAutoFlamur; 06-24-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:03 AM

Modded SmartCar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5S1N...eature=related

Of course, I could fire a peice of dog out of a cannon at 9.8 m/s, doesn't mean I'd drive it. I'll stick with my 4runner.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:09 AM

That's hilarious, the Smart looks so goofy taking off that fast.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by RockAutoFlamur
Another thing to consider when thinking about the value of a car is the cost of the replacement parts...

RockAuto.com has released the Repair Index, a new online tool (www.rockauto.com/repairindex) for comparing the cost of replacement parts for two used vehicles. Purchase price, insurance costs, fuel economy and other considerations are important, but every car and truck is eventually going to need new filters, hoses, struts, brakes, water pump, etc. An accident might necessitate a new fender, tail lamp assembly, radiator and other parts.

You can choose two vehicles and the new RockAuto Repair Index tool (http://www.rockauto.com/repairindex) and it will automatically queries the millions of parts applications in the RockAuto.com catalog, compares the minimum cost of the most commonly replaced parts and summarizes the results. Comparing the cost of hundreds of parts could not be faster or easier. Thought it might be interesting when considering the value of a car or what kind of car to buy!

"Replacement Parts"??? Don't you know that Toyota trucks never break?! Thanks for the link, that sounds really cool.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fooldall
Modded SmartCar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5S1N...eature=related

Of course, I could fire a peice of dog out of a cannon at 9.8 m/s, doesn't mean I'd drive it. I'll stick with my 4runner.
A Hyabusa engine will do that in such a light package . . . . I love seeing a Ferrari driver getting his dick cut off like that
Old 06-25-2008, 08:17 AM

What you should keep in perspective is compare a "similar" Nissan, Ford Chevy, Dodge (engine, drivetrain, trim etc). You'll fidn your truck is worth 3-5K more that the other brands.

Yotas Rock! :-)
Old 06-25-2008, 09:29 AM

actually, i am amazed at how much people think their truck is worth. i am looking to upgrade from my 93, and i see people thinking thier 97 is worth $10000.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:42 AM

people think its worth so much cuz they paid so much. i mean honestly i think mine is worth at least 3 grand cuz thats how much i paid for it, but i know in my heart its only worth prob about 2. people cant believe the value drops so fast. i mean my moms not getting rid of her expedition even though its almost 110 dollars a week to fill up due to depreciation. its only worth about 3500, and she paid 12000. then again it does have 130,000 miles on it...

Originally Posted by Trail_Banger
What you should keep in perspective is compare a "similar" Nissan, Ford Chevy, Dodge (engine, drivetrain, trim etc). You'll fidn your truck is worth 3-5K more that the other brands.

Yotas Rock! :-)
Good point! Within the small truck segment Tacomas are worth the most. I was helping a co-worker search for a used Nissan Frontier and I was very surprised at how the prices had fallen within a 2-4 yr span. I know the first year or two is the worst depreciation time for a vehicle, but it shouldn't be that bad.

I'm guessing that the large trucks from Ford, Chevy, and Dodge have better resale than their small trucks.

Originally Posted by ssupercoolss
actually, i am amazed at how much people think their truck is worth. i am looking to upgrade from my 93, and i see people thinking thier 97 is worth $10000.
hell my 4runner cost 36,000 new in 1999.

I want 30,000 for it now.

be lucky to get 4 grand in real life
Old 06-25-2008, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by TexanTaco

I'm guessing that the large trucks from Ford, Chevy, and Dodge have better resale than their small trucks.
well DUH... you can tow a lot more with the big trucks. the big trucks were designed for heavy duty work, but soccer moms started buyin em. you know what soccer moms say... bigger is better. (until gas gets up to 8 dollars a gallon.. *shudder* what you gonna do then with your new F250 thats about 250 to fill up per week and still making payments on? HA HA!)

Quick Reply: Resale Value down for Tacomas/4Runners?