Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Replacing Timing Chain didn't help the rattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Timing Chain didn't help the rattle

After some advice from the board as well as some folks here I changed my timing belt today in the hopes to fix the obnoxious rattle I get when in the upper end of each gear before shifting. Well about the only thing it did was make me proficient in taking the front of my motor apart. The old chain was a little stretched, but all else was good. Anyways point being I'm back to square one. I did get my ear up to the cat converter and it sounded a bit noisy to me.Could this possibly be the culprit. My friend that has been helping me thinks the noise in the cat is transmitted noise from the engine. Any thoughts or suggestions on what to try next???
Old 05-02-2004, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by yigo65
After some advice from the board as well as some folks here I changed my timing belt today in the hopes to fix the obnoxious rattle I get when in the upper end of each gear before shifting. Well about the only thing it did was make me proficient in taking the front of my motor apart. The old chain was a little stretched, but all else was good. Anyways point being I'm back to square one. I did get my ear up to the cat converter and it sounded a bit noisy to me.Could this possibly be the culprit. My friend that has been helping me thinks the noise in the cat is transmitted noise from the engine. Any thoughts or suggestions on what to try next???
Have you had the cylinder head decked/shaved for any reason? That could have shortened the proper tolerance in the crank to cam centerline distance. How many miles do you have on it? High mileage can also affect the chain tensioner due to not enough oil pressure being applied to properly bring out the slack during rapid gear shifts.

If you're noticing the noise by the converter itself, I bet a few pieces of the catalyst broke off inside and is causing the annoying rattling sound you're hearing. Try banging on it when the truck is idling to see if it makes the same sound you hear when driving it. Since the old chain looked pretty good when you took it off, it's probably some loose elements floating inside the converter making all the racket.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by mikedog
Have you had the cylinder head decked/shaved for any reason? That could have shortened the proper tolerance in the crank to cam centerline distance. How many miles do you have on it? High mileage can also affect the chain tensioner due to not enough oil pressure being applied to properly bring out the slack during rapid gear shifts.

If you're noticing the noise by the converter itself, I bet a few pieces of the catalyst broke off inside and is causing the annoying rattling sound you're hearing. Try banging on it when the truck is idling to see if it makes the same sound you hear when driving it. Since the old chain looked pretty good when you took it off, it's probably some loose elements floating inside the converter making all the racket.

To the best of my knowledge there haven't been any mods to the engine. As far as mileage goes it either has 180k, or about 45k. The guy I got the truck from said the original owner had the engine rebuilt but he couldn't verify it for sure.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:37 AM

No ideas???
Old 05-03-2004, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check to make sure the valve cover(s) are not to tight. If you tighten the covers all the way down, the valve adjustment screws can slap the valve cover creating a rattle sound.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

I'm confused. Is it a chain or a belt? What motor?