Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Replacing Tie Rod ends on a 3rd Gen

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Replacing Tie Rod ends on a 3rd Gen

I posted as part of another old thread but I wanted to start this one as a compliation of those other threads dealing with the tie rod issue.

Here is the issue:
I went to get an inspection today and the idiots doing it told me I needed a new inner tie rod...then they tell me it will be $509CDN for replacing it and doing a wheel alignment....well, I almost hit the roof when they said that....

Well of course I told the meatballs to just give it a rejection sticker and I would have the work done later (yeah, by me!) and I'll be back to have it reinspected. So I took it home and for the life of me I couldn't see or feel any movement in the steering (I had someone turn the wheel while I put my hand on each of the joints to see if I could feel any movement) at all except I noticed that the mounts for the steering rack seemed a little loose. I have pretty tight steering still, truck drives perfectly straight, no wheel shakes or anything....

How often do these go on a 3rd gen?

Has anyone had to replace one and how much were the parts?

Anyone got any pics of this?

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 09-18-2004 at 08:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Dustin Perry (04-09-2020)
Old 09-18-2004, 09:03 AM
Away

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I replaced mine on one side. The part was $50 I think. No pictures, sorry. It was easy to R&R. You'll need two BIG wrenches to R&R it. I think they're 25MM. Don't quote me on that.

Make a note of how many threads are exposed on the existing tie rod before you remove it. Try to match up the exposed threads on the new one before you install it. Get an alignment after you replace the part.

Peace.
G
Old 09-18-2004, 09:05 AM
Away

Oh, one more thing. If the mounts on the steering rack are loose and the bushings are worn, you might as well replace them with Poly bushings from Energy Suspension. It will make a huge difference in the steering and if you ever go to larger tires, it helps a lot with bump steer.

Peace.
G
Old 09-18-2004, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Dr. Zhivago
I replaced mine on one side. The part was $50 I think. No pictures, sorry. It was easy to R&R. You'll need two BIG wrenches to R&R it. I think they're 25MM. Don't quote me on that.

Make a note of how many threads are exposed on the existing tie rod before you remove it. Try to match up the exposed threads on the new one before you install it. Get an alignment after you replace the part.

Peace.
G
Hey G,

Were those the inner or outer tie rod ends you replaced?
Seems to me the outer are far more commonly needing replacement but they told me I needed inners....
Old 09-18-2004, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

**Bump**
Old 09-18-2004, 05:38 PM

I had to replace mine. 2 iners and one outer.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:41 PM

I payed to get mine fixed but I wish I had done it my self. It looks pretty easy after I look at it after I got it fixed. One of inners was bent and one outer and one inner was wore out. sucks
Old 09-19-2004, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4runner4me
I payed to get mine fixed but I wish I had done it my self. It looks pretty easy after I look at it after I got it fixed. One of inners was bent and one outer and one inner was wore out. sucks
I will definately do it myself if they need it but I just wanted to see how common it was for these to wear out. I don't trust these inspection guys as far as I could throw em so it is good to hear from people who have done this.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:19 PM

I've had both of my inner replaced and I believe one outer. I didn't do it myself b\c it got covered under warranty somehow...
Old 09-19-2004, 01:58 PM

My outer tie rods need to be replaced too...the dude that woks on my car told me that the parts were 125 bucks or so. Can it be done cheaper...and while I'm at it are there any other parts I can put in to improve performance? I saw the Energy bushings...are these a good choice?

Thanks.

Noel
Old 09-20-2004, 04:54 AM
Contributing Member

Well it turned out that I took it to another place and they agreed with my diagnosis (that they were fine). I finally got the dang sticker and didn't bother going back to Canadian Tire to argue (no point arguing with arrogant idiots....they are not going to admit they were wrong). I am pretty sure that what the original mechanic felt was really a movement in the steering rack mounts and just made a bad diagnosis. I am happy to be done with this inspection crapola so I can get on with doing some modding!!!

I would still like to see some pics if anyone has changed out the tie rods at all.

Still have to put in my OME's (got a full setup 881/891 and comfort shocks)!
Old 09-20-2004, 08:39 AM
Away

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Hey G,

Were those the inner or outer tie rod ends you replaced?
Seems to me the outer are far more commonly needing replacement but they told me I needed inners....
Hey Jamie, I was out of town this weekend. I would have got back to you sooner, otherwise.

I replaced the outers. The Rack and Pinion setup does not have an inner tie rod on the 4Runner... Sounds like someone is smoking crack at the shop that said you needed inner tie rod. If the "inner portion" is bad, then you need to replace the rack itself.

G

PS You'll need a tie rod end puller. They're about $13 at Autozone.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Jamie, I was out of town this weekend. I would have got back to you sooner, otherwise.

I replaced the outers. The Rack and Pinion setup does not have an inner tie rod on the 4Runner... Sounds like someone is smoking crack at the shop that said you needed inner tie rod. If the "inner portion" is bad, then you need to replace the rack itself.

G

Galen, no prob and thanls for getting back!.....my gut said the crack smokers were full of crap but I wanted to be absolutely sure of it. Those boneheads are know to be parts replacers so I am sadly not the least bit surprised they did something like that (I was really pissed about it because they were trying to use the inspection sticker as leverage to do the unecessary work too!!!). I really feel sorry for the people they take advantage of, who don't know any better and just say "sure, do the work". Dang that sort of injustice makes me mad.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:46 AM

G

Inner tie rod end:
http://www2.maximumautoparts.com/par...End&category=M

part #3 www.1sttoyotaparts.com

Who's smoking crack?
Old 12-01-2004, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry Galen, there is most definitely an inner TRE (I have two of them sitting on my bench). I was also told at one point my inner TRE's were bad- turned out the nuts were seized and they didn't want to work too hard to do the alignment. A couple days of soaking with PB blaster, and all was well.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:27 AM

Yup, the ESB steering kit we run replaces the inners and outers. Although the inners aren't usually a problem and replacing them with a kit like ours does contribute to more bump-steer.

I don't see how poly rack mounts contribute to bump-steer though?
Old 12-01-2004, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SEAN_at_TLT

I don't see how poly rack mounts contribute to bump-steer though?
Maybe because the usual "flex" in the stock bushings is now gone or diminished, therefore the feedback to the steering is more pronounced because the rack isn't taking any of the shock anymore.

I will know by the end of this month because I just ordered some from Mike.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 12-01-2004 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Maybe because the usual "flex" in the stock bushings is now gone or diminished, therefore the feedback to the steering is more pronounced because the rack isn't taking any of the shock anymore.

I will know by the end of this month because I just ordered some from Mike.
We put poly mounts and the ESB steering kit on at the same time and did notice not only a firmer a steering feel but also more bump-steer.

I think the mounts alone will feel really good, I bet you'll enjoy them!
Old 12-01-2004, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks, I am looking forward to it!