Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rear drum brakes and off-roading?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear drum brakes and off-roading?

I just got an ear full from a bunch of mechanics at my local shop. They had to open the drums to replace a stud. Apparently they opened them up and removed a bucket of mud from each of them. Thought I'd never hear the end of it. They were recommending that I get rear disc brakes.

Anyone have a similar story? And about the validity of upgrading the rear drums to discs?

I tried searching but I guess the terms I used made results not come up about this.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Well, judging by your avatar...I'm not surprised there was "buckets" full of mud in your drums...

Theres a couple places that do rear disk kit conversions, not sure about '97s though...might have to search the 3rd gen forum for that info...

I personnaly run a disk conversion on my '86 and wouldn't ya know it my 4th gen came with them...huh, wierd...
Old 02-20-2010, 04:48 PM

Yes, I would like to find out about converting my rear to disk brakes!!! Any info or links to this would be great. Got all my stuff in for a Tundra front brake conversion and want to do the rear.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:18 PM

Skye manufacturing makes a bracket to use Cadillac calipers and rotors. Retains the ebrake, but these dickheads couldn't respond to a simple email about retaining ABS, and I've yet to see these installed on a real vehicle. Not feeling it.

Front Range Offroad makes a kit that uses Mk I Supra calipers, but it seems you have to convert to their full floater rear end. Not a bad idea, but very pricey. You can't retain ABS with this and, as gay as it might sound, you can't use OEM wheels w/center caps unless you put a wheel spacer on. Both deal breakers for me since I like to keep a low profile with the outward appearance of my truck. Phoenix = thefts.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:13 PM

I'm interested in the cadillac idea. Abs isn't important to me, my truck doesn't have it. Mainly I just need the ebrake ability, and I would like it to be reliable and not cost over a few hundred.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
meh just pull your drums off after a day of mudding and hose them out. Then put it back together. You're gonna change your gear oils and stuff anyways, what's another 10 minutes to yank the wheels and drums?

me = cheap.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by 86tuning
meh just pull your drums off after a day of mudding and hose them out. Then put it back together. You're gonna change your gear oils and stuff anyways, what's another 10 minutes to yank the wheels and drums?

me = cheap.
I'm gonna go with what this guy said

would be cool to see a conversion, but me = cheap as well
Old 02-21-2010, 05:09 PM

But if you don't have to work on it all the time cleaning out the rear brakes or readjusting them then why not... if you go the money do it.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

well, I suppose if you're running stock size stuff then yeah, take your drums off and on all you want to.

You start runnin bigger tires, heavy bumpers, winch, cargo...blah blah...you'll wish you had MORE braking power...
Old 02-21-2010, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Midget96
Skye manufacturing ... couldn't respond to a simple email about retaining ABS, and I've yet to see these installed on a real vehicle. Not feeling it.
Skye NEVER returns emails. You have to call him. The guy answering the phone doesn't know jack Skye's products either.

The iffy thing about running rear discs is trying to retain e-brake capabilities without using a t-case mounted solution.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rudy97
I just got an ear full from a bunch of mechanics at my local shop. They had to open the drums to replace a stud. Apparently they opened them up and removed a bucket of mud from each of them. Thought I'd never hear the end of it. They were recommending that I get rear disc brakes.

Anyone have a similar story? And about the validity of upgrading the rear drums to discs?

I tried searching but I guess the terms I used made results not come up about this.
You'll have different breeds of mechanics. Myself I do 4wheeling and understand you ARE going to have mud, sticks, and rocks underneath the vehicle and other places. So what? It's YOUR vehicle and we are the minority that actually uses 4wheel drive. With that being said, if the mechanics give you an earful then either find a different shop or work on it yourself.

Now... to convert to disc sure if you've got the time and money go for it, but as 86tuning said it'd be cheaper to just pull them off and clean them yourself. More work? Yes and less earful from your "mechanic."
Old 02-22-2010, 07:55 PM

From what I have read on this forum or another forum, I remember reading that you lose the function of the e-brake with a disc conversion? I guess it's not really a big deal, but just thought that I'd mention it.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

depends on what kit you go for...
Old 02-22-2010, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Midget96
Front Range Offroad makes a kit that uses Mk I Supra calipers, but it seems you have to convert to their full floater rear end. Not a bad idea, but very pricey. You can't retain ABS with this and, as gay as it might sound, you can't use OEM wheels w/center caps unless you put a wheel spacer on. Both deal breakers for me since I like to keep a low profile with the outward appearance of my truck. Phoenix = thefts.
My 4runner came with the full-floater, and if using the supra calipers can I just bolt em up and go? and what year supra to look for?
Old 02-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Contributing Member

line lock works for an e brake , now as far as I remember the only e brake set up is for the driveline and it's for the 4 cylinder only
Old 02-23-2010, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
line lock works for an e brake , now as far as I remember the only e brake set up is for the driveline and it's for the 4 cylinder only

Line lock would be sick!

Where abouts in Maryland are you located Olharleyman?
Old 02-23-2010, 04:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1 real basic rule of wheeling in mud is: when you get home you
aren't done till you jack it up, pop all 4 wheels off and do
brake and bearing maintenance (when needed). every time.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:13 AM

Rear drums have been used on Land Cruisers for 50+ years in the harshest conditions throughout the world.

If they're good enough to be used on a TLC - the finest production 4X4 ever made - they're good enough for me.

Bruce in Tsawwassen
A2B in a TLC
Old 02-23-2010, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
line lock would work, but not for long

the solenoid is meant for short periods of use, so there are four problems you could encounter

the solenoid overheating and possibly sticking shut. this would cause your parking brake to be stuck

the solenoid over heating and releasing, we all know what could happen here

your battery draining, then your truck will roll away and when you find it, it won't start

the solenoid could catch fire (probably wouldn't, but is a possibility)
Old 02-23-2010, 07:21 AM
Banned

for a line lock ebrake setup, use a manual one, the electric ones are dangerouse if used for ebraking.

and i offer a rear disc brake kit for your 4runner
it used 96+ 4 cyl taco rotors and 86-95 ifs brake calipers
pm me if interested

Quick Reply: Rear drum brakes and off-roading?