Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

random stall?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 11:46 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nrgetic99
Don't use the seafoam. I have something better that treats in the tank.

Don't ask me where I got it as it is not yet available for retail sale BUT is in common use in one Permium Gasoline from a very major supplier.

E
hopefully matt is not the guinea pig....
Old 05-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by garrett1478
nah I trust David, he works in the industry
Old 05-08-2006, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by garrett1478
It is actually being used in two test markets, one is Richmond VA, the other is in WI. To date, it has been used for over 9 months.

There is some excellent data generated on our in house dyno that shows mpg and flow benefits before and after with no other changes.

Once it is formally available across the US and/or for retail sale NOT just in a premium gasoline, I will share with all. In the interim, if you are in Richmond, drop by

I used it on my 93 3 slow with excellent results in conjuction with a changing the fuel filter.

It really improved idle, pickup (most noticeably) and economy.

I have also been using it in my 2000 S4 for about 4 months.

It will not address the entire intake system as seafoam does but I am still leary of that approach. Of course, if all else fails....

Of course, an ounce of prevention is worth more than a ton of cure so the earlier you start the better.

David
Old 05-08-2006, 12:35 PM
Banned

OoOooO

give me some crack!!! LOL

Hows your schedule looking this week? I am going out of town this weekend though. Im afraid the fuel filter wont be in by then. It is coming from across the U.S. McGeorge Toyota wanted 60+ for the wires and 40 for the fuel filter...should of asked if lube came with it.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:44 PM
Banned

I just did the seafoam. I did two treatments via pcv back to back.

I noticed after I started driving off, i heard a rattle..almost sounded like piston slap. anyone know what it was? after a mile or so, the sound went away...i was scuuuuuuuured for awhile.!!
Old 06-01-2006, 03:53 AM
Banned

here's an update.

I did the seafoam again, a day before I left for a 450 mile trip one way to SC. THe first tank with the seafoam in it, I went about 220 miles. Filled up and put 14 gallons in. The next tank I went 250 miles, filled up 15 gallons. After reading nrgetic99s post about using the premium from shell, I used it and got 250 filling up 14 gallons. I am extremely impressed with the results. I did not change my driving habbits and I cruised at 75-80 the whole way down.

I just filled up with some BP crap and Im going to see how many city miles I get.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 99SR5
but it doesnt do it all the time. plus it woudnt need the fuel cut off since its an auto since it shifts at red line by itself
Ummm...

Okay, so first off, there _is_ a cut off at redline on an auto, it's ignition & not fuel, but it can defnitely show similar symptoms.

Second, given the other threads where you're complaining about poor mileage, I've gotta ask... How often do you bounce off of the rev limiter as you drive??

edit: I just noticed the thread was a month old. oops. sorry for the hijack, but gonna leave this post in here for backwards relevance

Last edited by midiwall; 06-01-2006 at 05:26 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by midiwall
Ummm...

Okay, so first off, there _is_ a cut off at redline on an auto, it's ignition & not fuel, but it can defnitely show similar symptoms.

Second, given the other threads where you're complaining about poor mileage, I've gotta ask... How often do you bounce off of the rev limiter as you drive??

edit: I just noticed the thread was a month old. oops. sorry for the hijack, but gonna leave this post in here for backwards relevance
i dont think hes with us anymore.

I really hope the increase in mpg stays...if not, oh well.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Localmotion
i dont think hes with us anymore.
Nah, he's got my attention in a couple of other threads.

I really hope the increase in mpg stays...if not, oh well.
And sorry to ignore your success Matt... Yeah, Seafoam really is good stuff. Your mileage will stay up there until the carbon build-up starts happening again. If you can do it every other month or so you'll be happy with the continued results.

What's yur smoke cloud like? Pretty large? Remember to let it sit... the longer the better, 2 hours is great, overnight is awesome.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:47 AM
Banned

Nah, he's got my attention in a couple of other threads.

And sorry to ignore your success Matt... Yeah, Seafoam really is good stuff. Your mileage will stay up there until the carbon build-up starts happening again. If you can do it every other month or so you'll be happy with the continued results.

What's yur smoke cloud like? Pretty large? Remember to let it sit... the longer the better, 2 hours is great, overnight is awesome.
I let it sit for about 40 minutes. LOL. I was in a little hurry.

No worries about ignoring my success, i know it wasnt intentional.

Is there a limit as to how often I should use this stuff? Its like crack to me!
Old 06-01-2006, 05:50 AM

Is there a limit as to how often I should use this stuff? Its like crack to me!
Umm, technically the limit would be your wallet, but there will be a point of diminishing returns. i.e., once you get the gunk off of the pistons and out of the intake, then there's nothing else to get. I would say that if you ran it through the intake every-other month, and then say dropped a can into a full tank every-other tank, you'll be pretty clean and stay that way.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:51 AM
Banned

Umm, technically the limit would be your wallet, but there will be a point of diminishing returns. i.e., once you get the gunk off of the pistons and out of the intake, then there's nothing else to get. I would say that if you ran it through the intake every-other month, and then say dropped a can into a full tank every-other tank, you'll be pretty clean and stay that way.
true. Just making sure doing this every other month wont hurt anything...as I cant see what it would hurt. thanks for the lightning fast responses!
Old 06-01-2006, 05:54 AM

thanks for the lightning fast responses!
It's 6:48am here... I mean, what else would I be doing, sleeping?
Old 06-01-2006, 06:13 AM
Contributing Member

Matt, after reading this whole thread, I realized that you never said whether the initial problem was fixed. Did Seafoam do the trick or did you also do what was recommended (fuel filter, plugs, etc.)? Just curious after reading through the whole thread.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:39 AM
Banned

I havent had the hesistation come back nor have I stalled again. I am not sure if it was the seafoam or if it was changing my fuel filter. It also could of been bad fuel. I do notice much better gas milage and am happy with the suggestions. The fuel filter needed to be changed every 90k, I havent done it for the life of the car, I know have 213k on it.

My plugs looked great and my wires havent been changed yet.