95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Quick Discos Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick Discos Anyone?

Hey guys and gals,

Here's some information on some quick disconnects available. You can look in the Vendor section here .

Thanks for looking.

Mick

Last edited by RidgeRunner; 09-26-2004 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Mick, there is a red box at the bottom of both your posts (in vendor advertising too).

I am interested and will bookmark the webpage. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

Glad to see you got this project off the ground, Mick. Good Luck!

Shameless plug: This is a very good, very strong design.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:03 PM

Define "minor drilling required" please ?
Old 09-24-2004, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by COYOTA $x$
Define "minor drilling required" please ?

you gotta use the dremel and hollow it out a little. It is very minor. At least thats how it was with Lars discos .. these look very similiar in design
Old 09-24-2004, 01:37 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Discos

I can make a set like Lars' discos in 30 minutes or less with the parts, a vise, a couple wrenches, a good drill and bits, and an angle grinder with grinding/cutting disc. Take em to work and weld them up. Nothing to it.

If you can brush your teeth and not cause yourself personal injury you can make some of these IF you have the tools.

Old 09-24-2004, 01:48 PM

"IT" is "IT" the bar or the heim mounting point ?

SO once they are drilled then, the factory ones will never fit the same.... Right ?

Both Sdastg and WaskillyW would be SOL if they did this on their rigs ?

( now that theyre both being/been converted to Stock ) ???????
Old 09-24-2004, 02:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Hey Mick, there is a red box at the bottom of both your posts (in vendor advertising too).

I am interested and will bookmark the webpage. Thanks.
Thanks, Christian, I'm not sure what happened on the pic. I put it up on a web page too but it didn't come through for some reason.

Thanks, Jason, for your assistance. I've been a little busy since I talked with you last. Hope things are going well.

Coyota, sdastg1 answered that pretty well. Most just take a 1/2" drill and enlarge the mounting hole slightly in the lower control arm.

Brian, I'm sure you could do that...especially if you're set up for it. Might be a little more effort for some though if they don't have all the equipment and knowledge, plus the parts and the time. BTW, these do not require any welding.

Coyota, if I was going back to stock, if I couldn't figure out how to remount that stock lower control arm stud, I'd leave the discos on and readjust them to fit the stock suspension. I imagine both sdastg1 and the wabbit both have discos so they are already drilled out.

Thanks for the questions guys. Thanks for looking.

Mick
Old 09-24-2004, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

Both Sdastg and WaskillyW would be SOL if they did this on their rigs ?

( now that theyre both being/been converted to Stock ) ???????
I'm going to try to put the stock ones back in. If it rattles then I'll take it out and just leave the discos in.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:53 PM

See,

I think that is something that should be directly disclosed on the advertisement for "some people" thats NOT MINOR.

Exactly what and where needs to be drilled, what tools are needed (drill bit size at least), and that going back to stock equipment might be impaired.

If I were to try to return my vehicle back to stock (for re-sale for example), it would be obvious that those are not stock and as far as just "leaving them on" I have heard a couple people report that their Discos HAVE RUSTED/SEIZED to the point they had to be destroyed to be removed. Go to order the stock parts for replacement, and oooh goollly, whats that rattling noise ?

Last edited by COYOTA $x$; 09-24-2004 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:58 PM
Contributing Member

See,

I think that is something that should be directly disclosed on the advertisement for "some people" thats NOT MINOR.

Exactly what and where needs to be drilled, what tools are needed (drill bit size at least), and that going back to stock equipment might be impaired.

If I were to try to return my vehicle back to stock (for re-sale for example), it would be obvious that those are not stock and as far as just "leaving them on" I have heard a couple people report that their Discos HAVE RUSTED/SEIZED to the point they had to be destroyed to be removed. Go to order the stock parts for replacement, and oooh goollly, whats that rattling noise ?
Robb, the drilling is explained on the info page here .
Old 09-24-2004, 05:23 PM
Banned

Talking No worries

Originally Posted by sdastg1
I'm going to try to put the stock ones back in. If it rattles then I'll take it out and just leave the discos in.
Shazam,
The stock ones have been back in a month or so. Not a problem at all. You aren't talking but 0.7mm being the difference between 1/2" and 12mm. Don't worry about it.

Robb,
Nothing to worry about. My stock ones went right in no problem and work perfectly. Like I said above, not but 0.7 mm that you are drilling out. You'll never notice it.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 09-24-2004 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Shazam,
The stock ones have been back in a month or so. Not a problem at all. You aren't talking but 0.7mm being the difference between 1/2" and 12mm. Don't worry about it.

Robb,
Nothing to worry about. My stock ones went right in no problem and work perfectly. Like I said above, not but 0.7 mm that you are drilling out. You'll never notice it.

Hey Brian, that's very good info to know. Thanks man.

Mick
Old 09-24-2004, 06:39 PM
Banned

Talking Glad to help

Originally Posted by RidgeRunner
Hey Brian, that's very good info to know. Thanks man.

Mick
I just thought everyone new that 12mm and 1/2" aren't but 0.7mm apart! But again, I mess with that SAE/metric crap all day everyday. And that is a difference in diameter, so your gap on each side is half of that...0.35mm which is NOTHING.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to knock your design earlier or persuade folks not to buy your stuff. I guess I've just gotten to the point where I inadvertently think everyone has access to the fabrication stuff I do and folks with the know how to use it.

Hope it all goes well!

Again, swapping out quick discos for OEM ones and drilling out the brace hole, not a big deal when you go back to stock. You'll never notice it and neither will anyone else.

P.S. Never throw away or sell your OEM parts cause one day you might need them! I sure did and I was glad I kept most of them!

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 09-24-2004 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

See,

You don't have to drill the NUKE's. Hint, Hint, get my drift.........................
Old 09-25-2004, 01:02 PM

Drift more than gotten Steve,

I have a reason to not worry about these particular Discos personally.... I was thinking about other folks out there besides myself.

With all the cars I have and have had.... I used to get (and to an extent I still do ) really tweeked when I get something thats supposed to bolt on real easy according to the manufacture, and when you get it, its no where near as easy as you were led to believe.

Ive learned to accept it and deal with it myself. Some people though, get more easily discouraged than the rest of us or arent as mechanically inclined, and when something that seems simple ends up being a PITA and ends up discouraging them from possibly doing better bigger mods later on. or Drop out of the hobby all together.

On the Discos referred to in this thread, when they first put it out for us to look at, I looked on their ad page and all it said was (and at the very bottom I might add)

"minor drilling required"

and that was all there was that was said. in fact thats all it still says....
http://www.cavuresources.com/Pages/A..._endlinks.html

Now we all know the real deal, and these dudes have an installation guide that reflects a better description .... too bad its not listed as a LINK on the PURCHASE PAGE of THE DISCOS

I dont see a link here to your installation guide and of all places, this is the page that needs one.
Old 09-25-2004, 04:15 PM
Contributing Member

Drift more than gotten Steve,

I have a reason to not worry about these particular Discos personally.... I was thinking about other folks out there besides myself.

With all the cars I have and have had.... I used to get (and to an extent I still do ) really tweeked when I get something thats supposed to bolt on real easy according to the manufacture, and when you get it, its no where near as easy as you were led to believe.

Ive learned to accept it and deal with it myself. Some people though, get more easily discouraged than the rest of us or arent as mechanically inclined, and when something that seems simple ends up being a PITA and ends up discouraging them from possibly doing better bigger mods later on. or Drop out of the hobby all together.

On the Discos referred to in this thread, when they first put it out for us to look at, I looked on their ad page and all it said was (and at the very bottom I might add)

"minor drilling required"

and that was all there was that was said. in fact thats all it still says....

Now we all know the real deal, and these dudes have an installation guide that reflects a better description .... too bad its not listed as a LINK on the PURCHASE PAGE of THE DISCOS

I dont see a link here to your installation guide and of all places, this is the page that needs one.
Sorry you missed that link, Robb, it's down at the bottom of the page where the links are. It says "Endlink Info Page".

I'll try to make that more clear. It didn't seem to be a problem at the time I set it up.

Mick
Old 09-25-2004, 06:07 PM

I see it now. You should make it more obvious, part of the description text or something ?

Last edited by COYOTA $x$; 09-25-2004 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:31 PM
Contributing Member

I see it now. You should make it more obvious, part of the description text or something ?
Thanks, Robb, you can see those changes here .

Mick
Old 09-26-2004, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by RidgeRunner
Thanks, Robb, you can see those changes here .

Mick

I think that will do a lot of good in the long run for you. Kudos to you for listening to the concerns/comments of the consumers.