Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 03-30-2016, 01:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tacoma Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

QUESTION: True Flow air filter effectiveness

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 89-4run
I think I had to pay shipping to send it back, but I had a paper filter on hand to use. I use my paper filter when I clean my True Flow. It is a PITA when you have to deal with returns with any company (when it involves mailing).
Good point,
no believe it or not the paper filters are about $20 to $25 for our vehicle. On principal, I hate to spend good money on shipping and a temp for someone elses mistake. In the end, its just a filter i just wanted everyone else to know that if it seems like it doesnt fit, don't force the lid closed like I did and its not just in your head.... Its due to the fact it is a Manufacturing defect.

Last edited by icerunner; 02-13-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

To be very candid, I think you are going to be disappointed. While these filters work great and I would not give mine up, they simply do not fit without some "encouragement".

Where did you buy it. As a Trueflow dealer, if this were an issue we would do the exchange. I would think most others would as well.

Last edited by Baloo; 02-13-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:57 AM
Contributing Member

What filter for 3rd gens cost $20? I guess if you let the dealer rape you but I buy Puralator paper ones for about $11 and there is no difference between those and the stealerships.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Baloo
To be very candid, I think you are going to be disappointed. While these filters work great and I would not give mine up, they simply do not fit without some "encouragement".

Where did you buy it. As a Trueflow dealer, if this were an issue we would do the exchange. I would think most others would as well.
Hey,
no offence to you as a true flow dealer YET, the "encouragement" or extra force needed to close the Filter housing lid is the defect. That is according to true flow it should close easily and I see no reason why anyone should have to force the lid closed...Honestly I'll bet with the lid barley closing, that some air from the engine bay leaks in though the top of the box cover.
Honestly, True flow should have done a recall, and in my opinion its kind of "Half assed" that I have to run a posting to fiqure out there are a lot of true flow filters out there that dont fit right in our 4 runners...
Like I said they should have recalled the mis-shapen filters...
BOTTOM LINE if the cover dosent close easily (or in my case dosent close at all)....it is a poor design, that we need to know about....

Last edited by icerunner; 02-13-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
What filter for 3rd gens cost $20? I guess if you let the dealer rape you but I buy Puralator paper ones for about $11 and there is no difference between those and the stealerships.
Auto zone pulator air filters are about $18 where I live and with near $20 with out tax....Bottom line when I spend for $55.00 plus shipping.... that little bastard of a air filter should fit right....
WHERE The "FRICK" was quality control?
Honestly, just the fact that the filter does not fit right, in my opinion it kind of makes me think that true flow maybe full of crap with there claims ....

QUESTION: seriously How fricken hard is it for true flow to test there frickin filters to see if the s.o.b.'s fit right for the car's they are sold to....???

ANSWER:
That's right.... a monkey could test to see if the filter fits... its NOT THAT HARD..... Its "half assed"..... I'm thinking of buying trueflow a used 4 runner air filter housing so they can test this mis-shapen crap before they sell people a oversized $60.00 sponge....(my opinion)
Dam right I'm pissed, dick'in around wasting time with a stupid mis-shapen air filter...

I swear, to hell with the shipping ...i'll "drop kick" that little
"mis-shapen basTERD of a filter" back to Arizona (True flow headquarters....)

How many people here know they have a defective design?
..... DAM YOU TRUE FLOW.....
DAM YOU TO ALL HECK (hehe....)

Last edited by icerunner; 02-13-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Baloo

Baloo, if encouragement means leaning over and putting pressure on the lid for it to close, that's not right. My 2 clips help it in place, but it was definitely straining to hold the lid closed.

After I was sent a new one, it required no "encouragement" at all. It went in as easy as a stock OEM paper one and the lid closed as it should. It's obvious that the defective batch, god knows how big, is still floating around out there.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by icerunner
Auto zone pulator air filters are about $18 where I live and with near $20 with out tax....Bottom line when I spend for $55.00 plus shipping.... that little bastard of a air filter should fit right....
WHERE The "FRICK" was quality control?
Honestly, just the fact that the filter does not fit right, in my opinion it kind of makes me think that true flow maybe full of crap with there claims ....

QUESTION: seriously How fricken hard is it for true flow to test there frickin filters to see if the s.o.b.'s fit right for the car's they are sold to....???

ANSWER:
That's right.... a monkey could test to see if the filter fits... its NOT THAT HARD..... Its "half assed"..... I'm thinking of buying trueflow a used 4 runner air filter housing so they can test this mis-shapen crap before they sell people a oversized $60.00 sponge....(my opinion)
Dam right I'm pissed, dick'in around wasting time with a stupid mis-shapen air filter...

I swear, to hell with the shipping ...i'll "drop kick" that little
"mis-shapen basTERD of a filter" back to Arizona (True flow headquarters....)

How many people here know they have a defective design?
..... DAM YOU TRUE FLOW.....
DAM YOU TO ALL HECK (hehe....)
Calm down...it's only a filter.....lets hope you don't get a flat tire...all hell will break lose...lol

Last edited by pfdaxe; 02-13-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by pfdaxe
Calm down...it's only a filter.....lets hope you don't get a flat tire...all hell will break lose...lol
LOL.....Thats funny,
Actually i'm just 85% Kidding. Seriously, yea it kind of pisses me off that I have to mail it it and spend money for the shipping and a temporary paper filter....Yet i'm not pissed to THAT extent..... I'm just having fun a true flow's expence.... tak'in it to the next level....

They should have done a recall though ....I do think that is really "half assed" that no body knew there was defect...

Last edited by icerunner; 02-13-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by icerunner
LOL.....Thats funny,
Actually i'm just 85% Kidding. Seriously, yea it kind of pisses me off that I have to mail it it and spend money for the shipping and a temporary paper filter....Yet i'm not pissed to THAT extent..... I'm just having fun a true flow's expence.... tak'in it to the next level....

They should have done a recall though ....I do think that is really "half assed" that no body knew there was defect...
Like I stated earlier. Maybe I should stop by their shop and have 'em test fit. Maybe they'll let me keep it...
Old 02-14-2008, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by pfdaxe
Like I stated earlier. Maybe I should stop by their shop and have 'em test fit. Maybe they'll let me keep it...
I'm just glad that everyone knows that if it (True flow air filter) dosent seem to fit right IT IS DEFECTIVE...
YEa, I bought it from Champion Toyota out of Texas online So i'll be stuck either way with shipping it back... Actually I'd like to send it back to true flow myself with a little letter that speaks to the fact that I feel its somewhat shady that no one knew of the defect, no recall....I just have to suck it up and send it off, On principal they should just mail me a new filter for the senceless "brain dammage"...
the price of poker I guess.

Last edited by icerunner; 02-14-2008 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen K&N mentioned on here several times, and I'm not defending or slamming them (because after reading this thread, I'm more confused to what to get then before...). But I have to say, it really depends on the rig it's put in if you can tell a difference. I've used them in many cars with different results.

1. 83 Celica (Carb). Dropin K&N, no diff.
2. 88 Celica GT-4 (All-Trac). 3" cone with adapter. Huge difference.
3. 95 Supra Twin Turbo. 3" cone with adapter. Huge difference.
4. 2000 Intrepid. Dropin, not much diff.
5. 88 4Runner. Dropin, Nice difference with upgraded exhaust.

Now I can't verify this, but I see K&N stickers and filters on a lot of off-road racing rigs (cars, trucks, bikes...) They have to be doing something right (though I'm sure those engines are stripped down after every race...)

So as for my 99 4Runner, I've been looking for intake upgrade. At first I was thinking just the deckplate mod.. But I want to replace the tube as well so I was thinking of this:

http://www.eautoworks.com/index20!ke...odID!15212.cfm

And putting in the deckplate mod. But after this thread about the True Flow not fitting... Well should I take the chance???? So I was thinking about this:

http://www.burtmanindustries.com/zoo...run_volant_3.4

But it uses the same air inlet from the fender as OEM so I wont get any MORE air....

So I was thinking of falling back on the K&N:
http://www.burtmanindustries.com/zoo...kn_intake_9902

Because in no time soon am I taking this 4Runner mudding or deep water playing.

I know everyone has their opinions on every little detail of parts. Most are great and helpful. Others well... you know we have to sort out the good from the bad.

So I'm back at square one with which intake path to go.... Anything new out there that will let in more air (larger filter size) plus keep the intake clean?
Old 02-19-2008, 06:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sounds like a snorkel!

Originally Posted by psraff
I've seen K&N mentioned on here several times, and I'm not defending or slamming them (because after reading this thread, I'm more confused to what to get then before...). But I have to say, it really depends on the rig it's put in if you can tell a difference. I've used them in many cars with different results.

1. 83 Celica (Carb). Dropin K&N, no diff.
2. 88 Celica GT-4 (All-Trac). 3" cone with adapter. Huge difference.
3. 95 Supra Twin Turbo. 3" cone with adapter. Huge difference.
4. 2000 Intrepid. Dropin, not much diff.
5. 88 4Runner. Dropin, Nice difference with upgraded exhaust.

Now I can't verify this, but I see K&N stickers and filters on a lot of off-road racing rigs (cars, trucks, bikes...) They have to be doing something right (though I'm sure those engines are stripped down after every race...)

So as for my 99 4Runner, I've been looking for intake upgrade. At first I was thinking just the deckplate mod.. But I want to replace the tube as well so I was thinking of this:

http://www.eautoworks.com/index20!ke...odID!15212.cfm

And putting in the deckplate mod. But after this thread about the True Flow not fitting... Well should I take the chance???? So I was thinking about this:

http://www.burtmanindustries.com/zoo...run_volant_3.4

But it uses the same air inlet from the fender as OEM so I wont get any MORE air....

So I was thinking of falling back on the K&N:
http://www.burtmanindustries.com/zoo...kn_intake_9902

Because in no time soon am I taking this 4Runner mudding or deep water playing.

I know everyone has their opinions on every little detail of parts. Most are great and helpful. Others well... you know we have to sort out the good from the bad.

So I'm back at square one with which intake path to go.... Anything new out there that will let in more air (larger filter size) plus keep the intake clean?
Shannon-you sound like an ideal candidate for a snorkel, others have done it on a 3rd gen.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's something I was thinking about for my '88 4Runner. Just never got around to doing it. Never crossed my mind for my '99. Thanks for the idea!
Old 02-20-2008, 07:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
glad to help in my limited manner
Old 02-21-2008, 11:27 AM

I've run Purolator air filters since I replaced the OEM filter in my 2002 4Runner years ago. Now that I have the SC and all that, I was thinking of a higher flowing filter to give it those extra 7 or so horse power.

Back in 1999 when I was last into this stuff the battle was between K&N and Amsoil. I dyno tested the K&N and Amsoil back to back on my 1999 3.4L Tacoma 4x4 TRD model. As well as the stock filter for grins. After about 12 or so runs to establish a base line the end result was a 5 RWHP increase when using a K&N and a 4HP increase using the Amsoil and that was on a NA motor.

I figure it'll be a little more on a SC'd engine like I have now. I used the K&N in my 1999 Taco, and yes I did have to clean the MAF sensor every so often, so I'd like to avoid some oil type filter again.

Is there any dry High flow filter out there?
Old 12-21-2009, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
do you have UOA's to prove this?? just bc your intake is clean after using it really doesnt say much.. i change my oem filters every 10k miles and mine stays clean too... silicates are at a very very minute stature so just bc you look at something and assume its clean doesnt mean dirt (silicates) are not getting in your motor.. only UOA's show this on that scale..

btw, any air filter you have to charge with oils to filtrate is crap and will only hurt you in the long run..

personally ill stick with oem and change it out every other oil change and NEVER NEVER have to worry about it.. its that simple and no air filter will give you added HP just sound. so if you are on that maturity level then knock yourself out lol
Charge with oils is crap??? Stick with OEM and you'll never have to worry again???

You are certainly not an expert and with all due respect (not much) I would say you are a troll!!! Yes,,, a troll,,,,,do you know what that is??? Probably!!