Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

question about Supercharging .. tried search

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about Supercharging .. tried search

I have noticed you can add the TRD supercharger to basically any motor. I tried the search but did not find my answer. What I want to know is when you add the kit, how is the fuel/timing map changed? Do they supply a diffrent chip, perhaps a diffrent FPR, or maybe injectors?? what is it they do to compensate for the extra needed fuel and pulled timing .. if that is what they do? thanks Todd
Old 07-29-2003, 05:00 PM

The only "they" that adds anything will be you sad to say. TRD doesn't offer anything as they insist you don't have to add a thing(which is BS). To assist the s/c perform better, you'll probably want to add fuel pump, injectors and piggy back puter. I know there is a whole host of threads about these issues.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:42 PM

Hey Todd,

Not sure about other Super Chargers but the one for the V8s claim to have new injector, fuel map, etc. http://www.toyotaparts4u.com/4.7_V8_supercharger.htm
Old 07-30-2003, 06:10 AM
Contributing Member

The stock ECU can 'learn' a bit and compensate for the supercharger. As others have said, you may want to do more. I haven't done any fuel mods and haven't had any problems, but I drive pretty mellow like.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:12 PM

i will do the search and see what comes up as far as the issues. But, when the charger comes stock on the trucks, do they run crappy up top, or just when you start modding them?
Old 07-31-2003, 04:30 PM

If you want it to run perfectly, then there are three things that will do that for you.

1. Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump
2. ND 305cc injectors
3. A piggy back controller to retune everythign. The best one going is the UNICHIP.

If you do those three things, you will then be having as much fun as I am.

There is a little more info on my site if you are interested.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 08-01-2003, 03:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JM2C

There is so much controversy on this subject that it can really get heated. I think the longest thread in this board’s history is all about tuning our trucks. I went through hell in the beginning, after installing the SC on my new 2002 4Runner. I refused to get into all the tuning mods that others swear are necessary in order to get the SC to operate properly. The fact of the matter is that although Magnuson / Eaton makes the system; it is TRD who directs the installation procedure and it is TRD that is the problem. After I finally corrected the error in the installation procedure from TRD, my SC runs perfectly with no fuel or tuning modifications. Magnuson designed the system as a direct plug-and-play system and that is my experience at this time. Could it run better and produce more power? Yes.

I have spoken to numerous people who have had problems with the system, and are still having problems, but with stock tuning my system is outstanding. I have no pre-ignition / detonation, no hesitation other than the normal lag, and I am getting great gas mileage. I don’t know what else to say, it works for me.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 08-01-2003, 04:28 AM

I agree with Peter. Once I had the bad install fixed, I've been completely happy. Its up to you if you want to milk more from it by doing the aforementioned things.

BTW, for a couple months now I've been getting 18.5-19 MPG.

Nick
Old 08-01-2003, 05:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: JM2C

Originally posted by ManyMods
After I finally corrected the error in the installation procedure from TRD, my SC runs perfectly with no fuel or tuning modifications.
And, that error would be?
Old 08-01-2003, 06:17 AM

Re: JM2C

There is so much controversy on this subject that it can really get heated. I think the longest thread in this board’s history is all about tuning our trucks. I went through hell in the beginning, after installing the SC on my new 2002 4Runner. I refused to get into all the tuning mods that others swear are necessary in order to get the SC to operate properly. The fact of the matter is that although Magnuson / Eaton makes the system; it is TRD who directs the installation procedure and it is TRD that is the problem. After I finally corrected the error in the installation procedure from TRD, my SC runs perfectly with no fuel or tuning modifications. Magnuson designed the system as a direct plug-and-play system and that is my experience at this time. Could it run better and produce more power? Yes.

I have spoken to numerous people who have had problems with the system, and are still having problems, but with stock tuning my system is outstanding. I have no pre-ignition / detonation, no hesitation other than the normal lag, and I am getting great gas mileage. I don’t know what else to say, it works for me.

Good luck with your decision.
Well that is not completely accurate. The fact is that Magnuson did include fuel enhancement, not enough, but some in the original kits. It was the pressure increasing FMU. TRD deleted it to address the HG/LR-Ping by forcing it to run super lean on the top end to reduce the ignition timing which has an affect on the HG/LR-Ping.

Magnuson's responce to this move was "It is the most expensive way I have ever seen to aluminize and exhuast system."

There has been a rumor for some time that TRD will be selling a piggy back unit to control fuel and timing and include a suplimental fuel injector to address the high RPM lean out problem. It is a good rumor. When it is released it may cost somewhere around $1200 and no, it won't be free to those that already have a supercharger.

You can do the injector, fuel pump, and controller upgrade now for less and be able to custom tune it to your truck for the best drivability and performance.

Will it run without it? Yes it will.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 08-01-2003, 08:02 AM

hey gadget do you use the unichip? or SS unit
Old 08-01-2003, 09:15 AM

Re: Re: JM2C

Originally posted by Gadget
Well that is not completely accurate. The fact is that Magnuson did include fuel enhancement, not enough, but some in the original kits. It was the pressure increasing FMU. TRD deleted it to address the HG/LR-Ping by forcing it to run super lean on the top end to reduce the ignition timing which has an affect on the HG/LR-Ping.

Magnuson's responce to this move was "It is the most expensive way I have ever seen to aluminize and exhuast system."

There has been a rumor for some time that TRD will be selling a piggy back unit to control fuel and timing and include a suplimental fuel injector to address the high RPM lean out problem. It is a good rumor. When it is released it may cost somewhere around $1200 and no, it won't be free to those that already have a supercharger.

You can do the injector, fuel pump, and controller upgrade now for less and be able to custom tune it to your truck for the best drivability and performance.

Will it run without it? Yes it will.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
This is very well said, but again, does it not imply what we all know, and that is that TRD is ignorant when it comes to performamce parts. They are the problem IMO. Weren't you, Gadget, the one who brought the FMU back into the install picture. My install directed the connection exactly as outlined on the board, but it was a supplemental sheet to the instructions.

HOWEVER, to answer mpulver's question; from my experience, the problem I had was TRD not specifying the check valve as part of the 2002 installation procedure. The check valve installation was the turning point for me. I use stock heat range plugs w/ stock gap, stock thermostat and stock air box w/ stock filter.

I too am getting 19 mpg AROUND TOWN and am very happy with that number.

I might pay the $1200 (gulp) for the upgrade tuner if that had to be the price, but I am happy as is. My primary concern is that I do not want to void my platinum warranty.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: Re: JM2C

HOWEVER, to answer mpulver's question; from my experience, the problem I had was TRD not specifying the check valve as part of the 2002 installation procedure. The check valve installation was the turning point for me. I use stock heat range plugs w/ stock gap, stock thermostat and stock air box w/ stock filter.
Ahh yes... I think I remember you saying this before.

Thanks for the memory jog.

(now wanting an S/C again if I don't _have_ to do all the fuel mods! )

Mark
Old 08-01-2003, 06:58 PM

Rich

Well it might be overkill now but you'll run rich with an S/C and no computer. MAF will sense more air and then the ECU will pump in more fuel. It won't hurt anything persay but I personally think if you want the S/C you gotta get bigger injectors and some sort of computer that will manage your air/fuel ratio for you at the least. I think AFC's are $300 new, maybe you could find one for $150-$200. The TRD "kit" isn't much of a kit. It's the blower unit and hardware to install it and hook it up. Most turbo or s/c kits supply at least new injectors and most of the time other things too to utilize the newly plentiful amount of air. I am planning on buying Creed's 2nd gen S/C soon and when it goes in I'm putting in injectors from 330cc-370cc -- they're a must for me. The SAFC will be later but it will come too. Just another opinion.

Zach
Old 08-02-2003, 02:43 AM

Question Re: Rich

Originally posted by White SR5
Well it might be overkill now but you'll run rich with an S/C and no computer. MAF will sense more air and then the ECU will pump in more fuel....
Hi Zach,
I am a little confused here because I thought that the ECU provides a buffer of about 25% for fuel table adjustment. If the MAF senses more air and the ECU adjusts accordingly, what is the problem. I absolutely do not see that the engine runs rich, if anything it runs lean... at the top end. I would not be getting the mpg I am getting and the plugs would not indicate what they do if the engine ran rich. I am not that knowledgeable but what you said did not make total sense to me.
Old 08-02-2003, 09:05 AM

If i were to take off my smt6 unit my br3 wouldiediatly go to -20 to -25 (thas as far as it can go) and that means WAY WAY to rich...so there is your answer bout running rich without computer assitant. Yes the ECU can control up to 20-25% buc the thing is the injectors still provide more gas beyond that point. Esspecialy if your running 370cc injetors like i am.
Old 08-02-2003, 03:10 PM

Re: Re: Rich

Hi Zach,
I am a little confused here because I thought that the ECU provides a buffer of about 25% for fuel table adjustment. If the MAF senses more air and the ECU adjusts accordingly, what is the problem. I absolutely do not see that the engine runs rich, if anything it runs lean... at the top end. I would not be getting the mpg I am getting and the plugs would not indicate what they do if the engine ran rich. I am not that knowledgeable but what you said did not make total sense to me.
Well Weasy2K answered that one for ya. The ECU will indeed try to compensate, but it can only do so much. If your boost is set at a max of 6-8 PSI the ECU won't know what to do after a certain point. A friend of mine has a turbo on his integra with 440cc eclipse injectors and at 6.5 PSI he has to tune his AFC down to -37%! If you keep the stock injectors then you won't run into the running rich problem though -- their flow is limited. The reason you lean out at the top end is because your injectors are at maximum flow (maybe even beyond), the timing for ignition is limited and there is still air left over. It's just when ya get up in the 330cc and up range that you'll get more fuel flow. 305 is the popoular median between the two. To each his own though, if you like the fuel economy then keep it as is. I go for the power. I just personally think if you get the S/C you need bigger injectors. Might as well tap into the S/C's potential that TRD didn't seem to see... I hope that clears thing up.

Zach

Last edited by White SR5; 08-02-2003 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-02-2003, 05:37 PM

I agree with White SR5...except i wouldnt recommend the regular settings....or as some would call...fuel economy settings...as your running extreamly lean with stock injectors and its basicly the same as smoking =] it iwll die much much sooner and casue other problems like galvanized exhaust....burning holes through gaskets because temps go above 1600 degrees....if you want to s/c get the mods done...you can even save some mpg as well...chris has experence an improvment on his fuel economy with a properly tuned truck.

Im wokring on it right now as well =]
Old 08-02-2003, 06:30 PM

I am not arguing the point that you can surely wring more power out of the SC, but I did not put it on to make it a rice rocket I just wanted a little more UMPH out of the engine for better acceleration, and that is what I got... along with the bling bling. If the setup that I have causes problems, guess what... that is going to be Toyota's problem because I have the warranty and I have done everything the way Toyota recommended and all installations were done by the dealer. I do not believe I will have a problem but if I do, I am covered as far as I am concerned.
Old 08-02-2003, 08:28 PM

Well said Peter. His argument was that the engine does not run rich without fuel mods. In fact I know he and I have perfect running vehicles without them once the check valve was installed correctly. Those of us with newer trucks I guess are more concerned with making our payments than making huge power.

BTW Peter, I ordered the Addcos from swaybars.com. The fronts were a little bit more expensive than Summit but at least they carry them. I also flirted a little with the lady on the phone and she didn't charge me shipping on one of the bars.

Later,

Nick

Quick Reply: question about Supercharging .. tried search