Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Probably Easily Fixable : Alarm Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably Easily Fixable : Alarm Problem

Alright, so here's my problem:

I recently purchased a '98 4runner and its got some funny alarm symptoms. I believe has an aftermarket alarm on it, as it has a remote start, an antenna on the front window, and it has a different horn/alarm in the engine compartment. It also has a different fob than stock that works to unlock the doors/remote start. I don't know if its just a reprogrammed fob with the original alarm, or what. Might be that they are conflicting in some way. But here's a description of what it does:

- For some reason my car will not allow me to lock my doors when the car is running, whether in drive/reverse/park. This seems backwards of what you'd want, so someone doesn't accidentally open a door at 60mph...

How would I fix this?

- When I use the key fob to unlock the doors, it beeps /lights flash/ 2 times, but the doors only stay unlocked for about 20-30 seconds. Then they lock again, and the it beeps /lights flash/ once resetting the alarm.

Can I reprogram/remove the timer?

- If I lock the doors with the fob (alarm beeps and lights flash once) I can open the door with the key, do whatever and the alarm won't go off, but as soon as I put the key in and start the car, the alarm goes bonkers.

Basically my question is this:
Can I reprogram/fix my alarm to only go off if someone was to bump against it, or try to jimmy/break my glass/steal my stuff etc.

I want to be able to use my fob to open the doors and have the ability to remote start the vehicle without having to deal with the above issues. Possible?

This is my first car with an alarm, so I don't know if any of this is normal or not... Thanks a lot for any help anyone can give me!
Old 01-07-2008, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Cxrazy
Alright, so here's my problem:

I recently purchased a '98 4runner and its got some funny alarm symptoms. I believe has an aftermarket alarm on it, as it has a remote start, an antenna on the front window, and it has a different horn/alarm in the engine compartment. It also has a different fob than stock that works to unlock the doors/remote start. I don't know if its just a reprogrammed fob with the original alarm, or what. Might be that they are conflicting in some way. But here's a description of what it does:

- For some reason my car will not allow me to lock my doors when the car is running, whether in drive/reverse/park. This seems backwards of what you'd want, so someone doesn't accidentally open a door at 60mph...

How would I fix this?

- When I use the key fob to unlock the doors, it beeps /lights flash/ 2 times, but the doors only stay unlocked for about 20-30 seconds. Then they lock again, and the it beeps /lights flash/ once resetting the alarm.

Can I reprogram/remove the timer?

- If I lock the doors with the fob (alarm beeps and lights flash once) I can open the door with the key, do whatever and the alarm won't go off, but as soon as I put the key in and start the car, the alarm goes bonkers.

Basically my question is this:
Can I reprogram/fix my alarm to only go off if someone was to bump against it, or try to jimmy/break my glass/steal my stuff etc.

I want to be able to use my fob to open the doors and have the ability to remote start the vehicle without having to deal with the above issues. Possible?

This is my first car with an alarm, so I don't know if any of this is normal or not... Thanks a lot for any help anyone can give me!
Try finding the main fuse to the alarm and unplug it for a few mins. It should reset the alarm to default mode and should work properly. Look for it under the dash or in the engine compartment. Good Luck.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:23 PM

I looked under my steering wheel and there is a box that say XR-33 remote start and security system.

Maybe I can get a wiring guide and redo the wiring, as it looks like its terribly done.

Edit///

I believe I found it. We'll see what happens....

Last edited by Cxrazy; 01-07-2008 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cxrazy
I looked under my steering wheel and there is a box that say XR-33 remote start and security system.

Maybe I can get a wiring guide and redo the wiring, as it looks like its terribly done.

Edit///

I believe I found it. We'll see what happens....
My suggestion is get rid of all that stuff if you don't need it. Then clean up the wires.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:25 PM

x2. Get rid of it. If it was working right then ok but givin the problems you are having who knows what kind of hack job was done during the install.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:50 PM

is it hard to install an alarm?

I can redo the wiring, I just dont know where to find things like:
HOOD SWITCH INPUT
NEG. WHEN ARM & RUNNING
BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH INPUT
NEG. DOOR TRIGGER INPUT
TACH INPUT SIGNAL
POS. DOOR TRIGGER INPUT
SPARK PLUG INPUT SIGNAL
PARKING LIGHT OUTPUT
PARKING LIGHT INPUT

where the...? I'm apt at electronics, and an a bit less than apt, but certainly capable with car electronics.

I'd just hate to spend money to buy an alarm that I would doubtfully need all the benefits of when i have one already installed. If I knew where to wire things, I can promise that I would do a better job than the previous install as wires are hanging all over the place. I doubt the alarm itself is defunct...

Anyone think they could help me out?

Last edited by Cxrazy; 01-07-2008 at 05:53 PM.