Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help!

I messed up pretty bad last weekend. I went to pull out the MAF and I pulled out the whole thing instead of disconnecting the plug. By doing this I pulled out the connections inside the MAF sensor. I put it back together (not very well) and now the truck is driving funny and my check engine light is on. I took it to a local shop and the mech. told me I did a major no-no and that I had basically two options. I could very carefully solder the connections that are loose or buy a new sensor for close to $600. I'm a little nervous to solder the connections because I don't want to screw the cpu board underneath it. I just bought an Audi A4 and I am broke so I don't think buying a new sensor is possible right now. Could anybody give me advice or show me a cheaper alternative. I really can't stand my truck feeling ill. If pics are needed to better show my problem let me know.

Last edited by momo76; 12-19-2002 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:19 PM

I'm sorry to hear your truck's not feeling well.

Soldering is definitely your cheapest solution. If you're not confident with your soldering abilities, what if you take it to an electrician and pay him for his time to solder it back together for you? Will cost you less then a new MAF & should work fine.

Al
Old 12-19-2002, 04:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Junkyard? I payed $700 for a new MAF and installation at the dealer.

Steve
Old 12-19-2002, 08:23 PM
Dan

I may be able to get you one for about $60-70

I had to get one for a 22re the other day for a buddy of mine at a junk yard,they charged us $35 instead of a few hundred anywhere else. I'm not sure how easily it will be to find the one you need but I'll call around if you want, I'd hate to see someone spend what would be a few car payments on something as easy to dig from the boneyard. To clarify,your talking about the whole unit between your airbox and the plastic tubing of your intake tubing,my 22re may have a different set up,but I think I know the part.
this part:
http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDeta...0&SpecialType=

If your running the V6 it will be a lot harder to find but if it's the 22re I can get one no problem, I know wheres there's a few. Let me know if your interested. I do a lot of used parts selling and trading so i like to make a little money but I would try and rape you when you need a part to keep your truck running, the junk yard i go to doesn'thave set prices so if there in a good mood that day I'll pass on the good fortune to you.
Let me know,
Dan